The occupation once known as the war in Iraq!

THURSDAY, MAY 20, 2021

Also, defund the pollsters: Joe Biden managed to win the White House, but Democrats did surprisingly poorly in last November's House elections.

The party clings to a narrow majority in the House. In this morning's Washington Post, Paul Kane reports on the party's attempt to figure out why. Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney was put in charge of the project. 

Let's ignore Maloney's complaints about the way the slogan, "Defund the police," was subjected to "lies" by the Others. Instead, let's focus on an apparent second claim—in part, Democratic candidates were undermined by bad polling. 

Did bad polling do the Democrats in? Kane offers a puzzling example:

KANE (5/20/21): Maloney’s “Deep Dive” had to both review past mistakes while helping prepare for the fast-approaching midterm elections, when the majority could very easily slip away.

Polling missed the Trump surge at the very end.

In one of three very competitive Iowa races, a final poll predicted that Democrats who were not frequent voters would make up 5 percent of the total electorate, while similarly low-turnout Republicans would account for just 4 percent of voters.

In reality, 5.9 percent of voters were low-propensity Republicans and just 4.7 percent were infrequent Democratic voters, providing the narrow margin of victory for the GOP candidate.

What a strange example! According to Kane, polling in one Iowa district said that 5 percent of the turnout would be low propensity Democrats. In fact, the number turned out to be only 4.7 percent!

That strikes us as amazingly high-precision polling. In Kane's report, it's offered as one of two examples of the ways Democrats were done in by faulty polling.

That example of lousy polling made no sense at all. Similarly, we were puzzled by something we read in the New York Times about progressive teen-aged activists.

According to Ellen Barry's report, the uncontrollable youngsters are mucking things up for Massachusetts Democrats. Along the way, Barry offered this weird description of Senator Ed Markey, an original favorite in whom the young activists are now disappointed:

BARRY (5/20/21): Though Mr. Markey’s voting record on foreign policy was no secret—he voted to authorize the occupation of Iraq in 2002, for example—it had faded into the background in their embrace of his candidacy, which focused heavily on his record on climate. Now, the group chats and Slack channels that comprise the Markeyverse were flooded with emotion, disappointment and betrayal.

Markey "voted to authorize the occupation of Iraq in 2002?" Are we talking about the occupation once known as "the war in Iraq?"

We don't think we've ever seen that unfortunate vote described in so forgiving a way. Truly, we think we see something new every day!

Whatever intentions lay behind it, "Defund the police" was an ill-advised slogan. No one had to "lie" about it, although some people probably did.

Meanwhile, the polling in that Iowa district sounds amazingly sharp. Who knows where the news comes from in this best of all possible towns?


29 comments:

  1. Voted to overthrow Saddam Hussein because he gassed his own people. You'd think de-funding the police would pass easily, because the cops did the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weapons of mass destruction was the pretext for the war, not Hussein’s actions against his own people.

      Delete
    2. Weapons of mass destruction was the pretext for the war, not Hussein’s actions against his own people.

      Delete
    3. Weapons of mass destruction was the pretext for the war, not Hussein’s actions against his own people.

      Delete
    4. Gas is a weapon of mass destruction.

      Delete
    5. Unamused,
      Yes. I forgot that those people Saddam gassed were Arab. No harm, no foul.

      Delete
    6. However it is that you feel about the humanity of Arabs does not change the fact that the Bush administration sold the war based upon the alleged presence of weapons of mass destruction. The aluminum tube controversy had nothing to do with Hussein killing his own people. How old are you that you don’t know this?

      Delete
    7. If you don't count all the times Bush and the war hawks accused Hussein of gassing his own people, they never mentioned it at all.

      https://historynewsnetwork.org/article/862

      Delete
    8. Any Anonymices going to wring their hands over Unamused’s duplicate postings?

      Delete
    9. Can you prove you are not Unamused?

      Delete
    10. I’m Amused. Unamused’s evil twin.

      Delete
    11. The duplicate postings are not Cecelia’s fault. Everything else is.

      Delete
    12. The duplicate postings are not Cecelia’s fault. Everything else is.

      Delete
    13. This duplication error is not a double posting. It is some kind of glitch that started several weeks ago using my iPhone. It does not involve touching the screen twice or for any prolonged period. It is sporadic but frequent.

      Delete
    14. Isiyku Abdulahi
      My ex-boyfriend dumped me one week ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don’t know what to do, so I reach to the Internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 2 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Dr Believe. You are truly talented and gifted.He is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop talking about him because he is a wonderful man. Contact this great love spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem to be solved today via email: believelovespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +19713839183


      Delete
  2. "Whatever intentions lay behind it, "Defund the police" was an ill-advised slogan. No one had to "lie" about it, although some people probably did."

    It's not just "defund the police", dear Bob.

    Every talking point of your goebbelsian hate-mongering cult is "ill-advised", eliciting the disgust reaction in every humyn being with functioning brains.

    It's just that you, dear Bob, perhaps got a bit numb, and not noticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's bad, because those folks are negotiating with themselves. De-funding the police is the compromise.
      You don't hear Wayne LaPierre calling for de-funding the police...yet.

      Delete
    2. We’re funding the hell out of the Capitol police and big cities have backed off the defunding police rhetoric.

      Delete
    3. Kansas City, MO stopped the rhetoric, and took action, just yesterday.

      Delete
    4. Anonymouse 12:39pm, Kansas City didn’t stop the rhetoric, they changed it.

      They’re saying they have been forced to cut corners during a crime surge because Republicans won’t fund the city,

      Delete
    5. LaPierre is right. Once enough folks use their 2nd Amendment rights against the cops, the police will be begging us to just de-fund them

      Delete
  3. Lauren Boebert claimed no Texans have died from COVID in the last two months. The actual number is 3400.

    She wasn't lying. She was using Right-wing mathematics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isiyku Abdulahi
    My ex-boyfriend dumped me one week ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don’t know what to do, so I reach to the Internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 2 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Dr Believe. You are truly talented and gifted.He is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop talking about him because he is a wonderful man. Contact this great love spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem to be solved today via email: believelovespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +19713839183


    ReplyDelete
  5. nice article, please do visit my website for info on Gayatri Infra

    ReplyDelete
  6. DR EMU WHO HELP PEOPLE IN ANY TYPE OF LOTTERY NUMBERS
    It is a very hard situation when playing the lottery and never won, or keep winning low fund not up to 100 bucks, i have been a victim of such a tough life, the biggest fund i have ever won was 100 bucks, and i have been playing lottery for almost 12 years now, things suddenly change the moment i came across a secret online, a testimony of a spell caster called dr emu, who help people in any type of lottery numbers, i was not easily convinced, but i decided to give try, now i am a proud lottery winner with the help of dr emu, i won $1,000.0000.00 and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to win the lottery, believe me this is the only way to win the lottery.

    Dr Emu can also help you fix this issues

    (1)Ex back.
    (2)Herbal cure & Spiritual healing.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)Pregnancy spell.
    (5)Win a court case.

    Contact him on email Emutemple@gmail.com
    What's app +2347012841542
    Website Https://emutemple.wordpress.com/
    Https://web.facebook.com/Emu-Temple-104891335203341

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
    Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever

    ReplyDelete