Christie’s report gets released today!

THURSDAY, MARCH 27, 2014

The tulip craze moves in reverse: On CNN, the tulip craze was still underway last night.

The various pundits still sat around, basically guessing and dreaming. By way of contrast, on The Last Word, an equal-but-opposite craze seemed to run in reverse.

To watch the whole segment, click here.

Lawrence discussed Chris Christie’s impending report about the Fort Lee lane closings. The report will be released today. We were surprised by the attitude expressed by one major New Jersey journalist.

First, a bit of background:

Last night, on a radio show, Christie made a major claim about the contents of his impending report. Lawrence played the videotape:

“I think all the important questions will be answered,” Christie said, building up his report.

That was a major claim. Of course, until we see the report, the claim can’t be evaluated. That claim could be total bunk.

That said, we were puzzled by the first Q-and-A between Lawrence and Alfred Doblin, editorial page editor for the Bergen Record. We thought Doblin’s comments were strange, perhaps a bit unsettling:
O’DONNELL (3/26/14): Joining me now, Alfred P. Doblin, editorial page editor for the Bergen Record. According to your editorial newspaper, you have your doubts about all the important questions being answered by this report.

DOBLIN: Yes. I mean, I think—you know, maybe it depends on how we define “important.” You know, the governor, from what we heard him say and what his office put out, is saying this is an exhaustive, comprehensive report produced by people he hired, people who have ties to him.

I mean, they’re smart attorneys. We’re not commenting that what we might read in the report is false. But it seems hard to understand how the key players, who are not interviewed, without those people being involved, how this will be comprehensive and exhaustive.

I mean, we may find out a little bit more of who ordered what at what time. But will we find out why this happened? Will we find out who actually engineered it? And the governor hasn’t said whether we will understand completely whether he knew anything about it after it was plotted and executed.

There’s a lot of time between September and January 8th, when my paper first wrote this story. So I don’t see how all questions are going to be answered.
Doblin went on in that vein. We thought his remarks were odd.

He started by noting the fact that several major players weren’t interviewed for the report. But Lawrence had just played videotape of Christie saying this:
CHRISTIE (3/26/14): You don’t just come to conclusions from interviews. There’s lots and lots of documents that involve all those people which have been part of the public record and will be becoming a part of the public record going forward. And you can discern a lot from that. Some of those, at least three of them, have asserted their constitutional right not to speak. If they continue to do that, no one will ever speak to them.
Duh. As we noted yesterday, it may be that no one will ever interview Kelly, Wildstein or Stepien.

That doesn’t mean you can’t solve a case. In many instances, documents allow you to solve a case. And Christie said against last night that new documents will be coming forward as part of this report.

Everyone knows that this report could turn out to be a dud. But it’s also possible that new emails and texts may shed light on what happened.

No one will know till they see the report! But as she spoke with Lawrence, Doblin seem flummoxed about the basic way information works.

Once again, we felt concerned about the basic coherence of our nation’s journalists.

On CNN, the nonsense about the missing plane continued apace last night. The various pundits still sat around speculating and guessing.

In an equal but opposite process, Doblin didn’t seem able to imagine a basic process—the basic process by which we gain information. The process in which we examine relevant documents and learn how and why something happened.

Will Christie’s report really show us who did what for what reason? Quoting Doblin’s questions, “Will we find out why this happened? Will we find out who actually engineered it?”

We don’t have the slightest idea. We haven’t seen it yet.

That said, we can imagine finding out who engineered the lane closings. For example, we can imagine seeing more emails from Bridget Kelly which make this transaction clear.

It all depends on what kind of documents Christie has. It all depends on what the documents say.

The report could answer those basic questions—unless you’re Alfred Doblin. Last night, Doblin couldn’t even seem to imagine the process of learning a fact.

On CNN, on further reflection, it worked in a somewhat similar way:

The experts sat around guessing and dreaming about what might have occurred. They also seemed strangely unfamiliar with the process of learning real facts.

24 comments:

  1. I could not understand the gist of the New York Times report today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Obviously Bob has yet to tell us what it seemed to say.
      If you missed the gist, did you get the implication? Was it easy listening with tired old meme's?

      Delete
  2. Hey, Fathead! Yeah, we are talking to you, blogger. How long have you been covering the coverage of the closures, and more importantly
    the cover-up. Or cover story? Or bungled good faith attemtpt at a study?

    Guess who else would not be interviewed? Bill Baroni.

    How come you haven't mentioned that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh, next time i want to try and figure out if someone is guilty of something i'll simply ask his defense attorneys.

    I'd wager any amount that the report by Christie's crew finds the Gov innocent.

    carry on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They already did. I'd bet a million in New Jersey tax dollars on it. That's a little more than New Jersey Transit saved when General Sampson voted to give General Sampson's client a new lease deal. We'd tell you exactly how much, but we are part of the unpecified number of white kids who went to an unspecified number of high schools with poor math programs.

      Delete
  4. Now this is a dumb post. You get paid for dreaming up a post like this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only trolls get paid around here! And Christie's lawyers.

      Delete
    2. "Only trolls ... ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

      Delete
  5. "Will Christie’s report really show us who did what for what reason?"

    Here's your answer Bob.

    ***
    Our investigation found that David Wildstein (then of the Port Authority) and Bridget Kelly (then one of the Deputy Chiefs of Staff in the Governor’s Office) knowingly participated in this plan to realign toll lanes leading onto the George Washington Bridge at Fort Lee, at least
    in part, for some ulterior motive to target Mayor Sokolich.

    What motivated this act is not yet clear.
    *************

    Bwahahahahahaha!!!!

    $1 Million taxpayer bucks and counting.

    This report is a giant filthy middle finger by Gov Christie to the citizens of his state as he hops on a jet to bend knee to Mr. money bags in Las Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meanwhile, back in the land of caring for black chilkdren we discover that, despite centuries of wiping out literacy in the slave community we forgot to teach slaves to keep their little ones...I call them babies...from biting.

      Delete
    2. Clearly you have never spent much time around a two-year-old.

      Delete
    3. Do two year olds shoot the finger? Or do you not read Somerby carefully while being negligent in caring for your two year old?

      Delete
  6. I never thought TDH could top the "Governor Ultrasound Unindicted"
    post. Until today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "But based on what we read in the Times, we felt eager to see this forthcoming review. Then, we got ourselves thoroughly brainwashed by Rachel Maddow last night." TDH 3/25

      "Wow! Will this review include real information about the “motivations leading up to the closing of the lanes?”

      Obviously, we don’t know the answer to that. But it sounds like that could be possible, given the materials to which the authors say they had access.

      That could all be piddle, of course. The review could be a big dud." TDH 3/25


      It is all Maddow's fault!

      Delete
  7. KZ is vindicated by this report.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Bob.

    Does this mean there was no traffic study?

    Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This report was by lawyers. It does not constitute journalistic disproof of anything which is possible. And everything is. Possible. Can we talk?

      Delete
  9. So after reading the entire report, here is my short version:

    Soon after Kelly got jilted by Stepien, Kelly and Wildstein cooked up "traffic problems in Fort Lee" in order to retaliate against Sokolich for unknown motives that had nothing to do with Christie's re-election campaign.

    And everyone who believes that, please raise your hand.

    Bueller? Bueller?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stepien is a Serbian name. Sokolich is not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand their relationship cooled after a heavy courtship.

      Delete
  11. What's wrong with tulips?

    ReplyDelete

  12. How To Get Your husband Back & Avoid Divorce,Love Spells That Really Work Fast


    My Name is Vicky Lorimer, I am From United Kingdom.i am hear to give testimony of how i got back my husband, we got married for more than 9 years and have gotten two kids. thing were going well with us and we are always happy. until one day my husband started to behave in a way i could not understand, i was very confused by the way he treat me and the kids. later that month he did not come home again and he called me that he want a divorce, i asked him what have i done wrong to deserve this from him, all he was saying is that he want a divorce that he hate me and do not want to see me again in his life, i was mad and also frustrated do not know what to do,i was sick for more than 2 weeks because of the divorce. i love him so much he was everything to me without him my life is incomplete. i told my sister and she told me to contact a spell caster, i never believe in all this spell casting of a thing. i just want to try if something will come out of it. i contacted Dr Brave for the return of my husband to me, they told me that my husband have been taken by another woman, that she cast a spell on him that is why he hate me and also want us to divorce. then they told me that they have to cast a spell on him that will make him return to me and the kids, they casted the spell and after a week my husband called me and he told me that i should forgive him, he started to apologize on phone and said that he still love me that he did not know what happen to him that he left me. it was the spell that Dr Brave casted on him that make him to come back to me today,me and my family are now happy again today. thank you Dr Brave for what you have done for me i would have been nothing today if not for your great spell. i want you my friends who are passing through all this kind of love problem of getting back their husband, wife , or ex boyfriend and girlfriend to contact bravespellcaster@gmail.com. and you will see that your problem will be solved without any delay.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My names are Ashley Vivian, Am here to share a testimony on how Dr Raypower helped me. After 1/5 year relationship with my boyfriend, he changed suddenly and stopped contacting me regularly, he would come up with excuses of not seeing me all the time. He stopped answering my calls and my sms and he stopped seeing me regularly. I then started catching him with different girls several times but every time he would say that he love me and that he needed some time to think about our relationship. But cannot stop thinking about him so i decided to go online and i saw so many good talk about this spell caster called Dr Raypower and i contact him and explain my problems to him. He cast a love spell for me which i use and after 24 hours, my boyfriend came back to me and started contacting me regularly and we moved in together after a few months and he was more open to me than before and he started spending more time with me than his friends. We eventually got married and we now have been married happily for 3 years with a son. Ever since Dr Raypower helped me, my partner is very stable, faithful and closer to me than before.You can also contact this spell caster and get your relationship fix Email: urgentspellcast@gmail.com see more reviews about him on his website: http://urgentspellcast.website2.me Call or WhatsApp: +1 (424) 330-8109 also view his blog: https://urgentspellcast.blogspot.com/.

    ReplyDelete