THE ART OF THE CON: Who's getting conned?

TUESDAY, MAY 3, 2016

Part 1—Paul Krugman cites Trump voters:
Last Friday, Paul Krugman said that conservative voters have been getting conned for years.

The headline on his column was "Wrath of the Conned." This was Krugman's first account of the con in question:
KRUGMAN (4/29/16): Both parties make promises to their bases. But while the Democratic establishment more or less tries to make good on those promises, the Republican establishment has essentially been playing bait-and-switch for decades. And voters finally rebelled against the con.
Anger about this long-running con has produced the Trump phenomenon, Krugman says. Republican voters have finally realized that they've been getting conned.

We don't necessarily agree with Krugman's more detailed account of this particular con. But it seems fairly clear that some version of this account is true.

That said, a lot of cons seem to be going on; these cons aren't all run by the GOP establishment. At one point, Krugman even alleges a type of con by Candidate Trump himself:
KRUGMAN: What Donald Trump has been doing is telling the base that it can order à la carte. He has, in effect, been telling aggrieved white men that they can feed their anger without being forced to swallow supply-side economics, too. Yes, his actual policy proposals still involve huge tax cuts for the rich, but his supporters don't know that—and it's possible that he doesn't, either. Details aren't his thing.
Trump's voters don't know that their standard bearer has proposed "huge tax cuts for the rich," Krugman says.

Almost surely, that is largely true. (It's absurd to think that Trump doesn't know.) But this is where the source of our cons and apparent cons tends to grow in number.

Almost surely, many people don't know that Candidate Trump has proposed huge tax cuts for the rich. That includes many subscribers to Krugman's own newspaper, which has failed to present standard reporting about Candidate Trump's tax proposal, the craziest such proposal of modern times.

Is Krugman's newspaper running a con by ignoring this topic? We don't know how to answer that question. But Krugman's paper has also engaged in strange behavior in the past ten days, pimping Candidate Trump's fake claim about his opposition to the war in Iraq, opposition which never existed.

The New York Times has recited Trump's fake claim at the top of the paper's front page. Inevitably, it has recited his fake claim in an op-ed column by Maureen Dowd—a column it ran on the front page of the high-profile Sunday Review.

The New York Times also recited Trump's fake claim in a cover report in its high-profile Sunday magazine. These recitations of Candidate Trump's fake claim have all taken place in just the past ten days. For more details, click here.

Trump's ridiculous claim about his past insight concerning Iraq has been debunked again and again, but the New York Times has now repeated his phony claim three separate times in ten days. Is the New York Times running a con? We don't know how to answer that question, but we do know this:

The invention of phony facts of this type is one of the practices which has decided recent White House elections. It's abundantly clear that Candidate Trump has been inventing this phony fact for use in the general election. In the end, this phony fact could help him reach the White House.

Is the New York Times running a con? We don't know how to answer. But liberal voters are getting disadvantaged by the newspaper's ongoing conduct, and someone else is part of this game—the heroic liberal corporate media stars who will refuse to call the Times on this conduct, which has been common at the Times over the past many years.

Did Al Gore say he invented the Internet? Actually no, he did not. He didn't say quite a few other outrageous things, the crazy alleged statements which sent George W. Bush to the White House. But were those puzzling statements were relentlessly put in his mouth over the course of the two-year 2000 campaign.

Gore didn't say he invented the Internet, but so what? All during that ugly and stupid campaign, liberal heroes repeated the claims about Candidate Gore, or at least refused to challenge those claims. The same pattern obtained in early 2004 when the talking points were invented concerning Candidate Kerry.

The New York Times has seemed to work quite a few cons over the past twenty-years. And make no mistake! As the Times has engaged in this conduct, the Christopher Hayeses and the Rachel Maddows have always averted their gaze.

Again and again, legions of liberal voters have been conned by this type of conduct. And alas! Unlike Krugman's rebellious Trump voters, we liberals haven't been smart enough to notice this problem yet.

For whatever reason, the New York Times has been advancing a con about Trump and Iraq. Just as it ever was, the liberal world has largely been silent.

We're skilled at getting conned in this way. We'll examine the syndrome all week.

Tomorrow: Drum and Politi push back

17 comments:

  1. No Bob. Thank you again Bob. Al didn't say it !!!!

    He seemed to say he created the internet. As a member of Congress.

    And thus Al Gore, Jr. took the initiative in making himself the butt of a lot of jokes, thus allowing people to remember there was something about the younger Gore they just didn't quite like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't vote for someone because you like him. You vote for him because he is competent and will do a good job. That was so obviously true of Gore that the rest of this seemed silly at the time, but it wasn't to large numbers of people who voted based on likeability. G.W. Bush is still a likeable guy -- his paintings of himself are endearing, like kindergartener fingerpaintings. But he was a horrible president. You need to remember that as you consider the attempts to rehabilitate Trump for polite company. He is not only an awful man but he is a total incompetent, as a billionaire real estate mogul and as a prospective public servant. It is so obvious he will be horrible that you have to ask what game the NY Times is playing. As you kick Somerby, what game are you playing? Whose interests do you serve?

      Delete
    2. Actually I have to ask myself if you are dumber than the reader who wrote in to Josh Marshall complaining things were rigged against Bernie.

      Delete
    3. All thanks to Dr Otonokpo for restoring my Job and my lost money, I don't even know how to thank him enough.

      My name is Michael Rainer from USA, I lost my job due to the outbreak of covid 19 and I was so helpless that I couldn't even know what to do and then I lost the little money I have left with me to some fraudster and I cried but no one could help. So when I narrated the story to my friend SANDRA CORDELIA she tried to calm me down and said there is someone that can help me regain all that I lost but I never believed her until she told me about Dr Otonokpo and she gave me his contacts and I contacted him, and he said I should not worry that everything will come back to me, after 2 weeks I was called back to resume work and the fraudster that ripped me off my money called to refund my money back to me.

      I am very happy I met Dr Otonokpo, if you have any problem at all you can contact Dr Otonokpo if you also want your ex back, if you seek fruit of the womb, promotion in your work, protection from guns and cutlass through his email: otonokpotemple@gmail.com. WhatsApp: +2348114129781

      Delete
  2. Are you having a hard time searching for a way to get your ex partner back, look no further, this was how i got mine back you can get yours today. My husband and I have been through every top reason for divorce; financial struggles, bankruptcy, stressful jobs, becoming parents when we weren’t ready (neither one of us would give our kids back just the amount of stress is overwhelming) we fought ALL the time over anything and everything. I threatened divorce all the time. One day after a fight I said I was done and filling. He told me he wasn’t in love with me anymore. After a day or two of cooling off I realized that divorce is not what I wanted. No, our marriage was not healthy but we had so much going against us an neither one of us were trying. I begged for him to forgive me and that I didn’t mean it. He told me he loved me but wasn’t in love with me anymore. Those words hurt and I believed him.One day i was online for tutor, as i was browsing i saw a review about a spell caster who could solve my problem, i have heard about spell casting, and magic, i said i should give it a try i contacted the spell caster his name is Dr Ewan of {covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com}, i contacted him and he told me not to worry that all he had to do for me is a love spell, he did it and told me that i should give my husband 48 hours and that he would realize him self, i waited anxiously and one the second day of casting the spell, he came to me and told me he was sorry for the wrong he did to me, he has agreed to send me to school and we are happy. Thank you Dr Ewan you are the best. If you have any marital problem, winning of lottery and many other problems you can contact him on his email, {COVENANTSOLUTIONTEMPLE@GMAIL.COM} or call his mobile number +2347052958531, he is a good and kind man. Thanks. ELIZABETH STRONG LONDON UK

    ReplyDelete
  3. The president has less power than you people think. You're wasting your time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The NYT mentioned Trump's budget busting tax cuts once; therefore any repetition would fall under and be dismissed as "old news".

    ReplyDelete
  5. My life became devastated when my husband sent me packing, after 8 years that we have been together. I was lost and helpless after trying so many ways to make my husband take me back. One day at work, i was absent minded not knowing that my boss was calling me, so he sat and asked me what its was all about i told him and he smiled and said that it was not a problem. I never understand what he meant by it wasn't a problem getting my husband back, he said he used a spell to get his wife back when she left him for another man and now they are together till date and at first i was shocked hearing such thing from my boss. He gave me an email address of the great spell caster who helped him get his wife back, i never believed this would work but i had no choice that to get in contact with the spell caster which i did, and he requested for my information and that of my husband to enable him cast the spell and i sent him the details, but after two days, my mom called me that my husband came pleading that he wants me back, i never believed it because it was just like a dream and i had to rush down to my mothers place and to my greatest surprise, my husband was kneeling before me pleading for forgiveness that he wants me and the kid back home, then i gave Happy a call regarding sudden change of my husband and he made it clear to me that my husband will love me till the end of the world, that he will never leave my sight. Now me and my husband is back together again and has started doing pleasant things he hasn't done before, he makes me happy and do what he is suppose to do as a man without nagging. Please if you need help of any kind, kindly contact Happy for help and you can reach him via email: happylovespell2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi everyone!
    I'm so excited my husband is back after a break up !
    My husband broke up with me last week, i was so frustrated and i could not know what next to do again, i love my husband so much but he was cheating on me with another woman and this makes him broke up with me so that he can be able to get marry to the other lady and this lady i think use witchcraft on my husband to make him hate me and my kids and this was so critical and uncalled-for,I cry all day and night for God to send me a helper to get back my man until i went to NY to see a friend and who was having the same problem with me but she latter got her Husband back and i asked her how she was able to get her husband back and she told me that their was a powerful spell caster in Africa name Dr.Unity that he help with love spell in getting back lost lover back, and i decided to contacted the same Dr.Unity and he told me what is needed to be done for me to have my man back and i did it although i doubted it but i did it and the Dr told me that i will get the result after 48hours, and he told me that my husband was going to call me by 9pm in my time and i still doubted his word, to my surprise my husband really called me and told me that he miss me so much, Oh My God! i was so happy, and today i am happy with my man again and we are joyfully living together as one good family and i thank the powerful spell caster Dr.Unity of Unityspelltemple@gmail.com , he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that good spell casters still exist and Dr.Unity is one of the good spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are there and your lover is turning you down, or you have your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore contact the powerful spell caster Dr.Unity on his email: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com .if you have any problem contact Dr.Unity,I guarantee you that he will help you.Thank you so much Dr Unity.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In our simple life, love plays a very specific role.Now we are able to make your love life healthy and it has no space for any type trouble. These all are possible with the help of AGBAZARA TEMPLE OF SOLUTION. He helped me cast a spell that brought my long lost lover back withing 48hours who left me for another woman. you can also contact him on ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or call him on +2348104102662 and be happy forever like am now with his experience.

    from USA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am Jane from USA, It is so amazing to know such a man called Dr. Agbazara because he is so powerful that he was able to bring Dave back to me within 48 hours. Dave left for another girl and for some weeks i was so helpless because he met everything to me. But Dr. Agbazara was able to put smile in my face when he brought Dave back to me just within 48hours. And today me and Dave are back together all through the help of Dr.Agbazara whose contact details are agbazara@gmail.com OR agbazaratemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow i never thought i will happy in my life ever again, i want you all to thank DR OGUDUGU of GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM, he is a father that takes care of his children the spell caster of our time, he has saved me from a very ugly situation that almost made my life miserable and i want you all to thank him for me,my husband and i have be married for so many years now with children and the relationship was being threatened by a small girl in his working place,she was almost destroying my home i met so many spell casters but to no avail until i met a friend who came from africa and she told me about DR OGUDUGU, and i decided to contact him and try him out as i was losing faith in all spell casters, but he told not to worry that now am in his temple everything will be alright he assured me 100% that his spell has no side effects and that it will work straight and save my home and my marriage and after he has performed the sacrifices and casted the spell, my husband came back to us with love and affection and he loved us more and more and he never looked back or none did his love for me waiver, if you are also experiencing this sort of your situation in your home, if your husband is drifting away, if you are experiencing a broken home or you have lost your husband to a young woman outside there then look no further help is here as GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM is ready to help you out okay for any of your problem is it financial needs, revenge spell,Hiv cure, job spell, promotion spell what kind of spell do you need DR OGUDUGU is going to solve it for you okay i have promised him to always talk of his good works to the world in general and to any body who cares to listen, you can email him on his personal email on or GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM and he will attend to you as soon as possible okay once again his email is GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All thanks to this great man called Dr Agbazara the great spell caster that bring back the joy in me by helping me to bring back my lover who break up with me Four months ago but now with me with the help of Dr Agbazara the great love spell caster. All thanks goes to him you can also contact him for help if you need him in times oof troubles via: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) you can also Whatsapp on this Number +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still can't believe that just within 48 hours that Dr.Abolo was going to make it possible for my lover to come back to me, I am cythia but i am not going to talk much about myself rather i am going to write about the powers of Dr.Abolo. When i contacted Dr.Abolo on the 28th of October 2018 i never knew he was this powerful but after telling him my problems he told me that everything is going to be okay then just 48 hours later everything worked out just as Dr.Abolo said it will be and the great part is that my lover is back and i want to let people know that once they need help on getting their lover back they should contact Dr.Abolo on these email at Abolospell@gmail.com because he is the best person to help you in terms of relationship matters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw a comment here a few weeks ago about Dr Agbazara and i decided to contact him as instructed, thanks to this man for bringing joy to me as wished for. i followed instructions which he gave in other to get my lover back who left me and the kids for 3years now, but thanks to Dr Agbazara because they are back to me now for good and we are happy together. please do contact him for help too if in relationship problem via email at: ( agbazara@gmail.com ) OR Via WhatsApp on: ( +2348104102662 ). And testify for yourself.  

    ReplyDelete
  13. All thanks to Dr Otonokpo for restoring my Job and my lost money, I don't even know how to thank him enough.

    My name is Michael Rainer from USA, I lost my job due to the outbreak of covid 19 and I was so helpless that I couldn't even know what to do and then I lost the little money I have left with me to some fraudster and I cried but no one could help. So when I narrated the story to my friend SANDRA CORDELIA she tried to calm me down and said there is someone that can help me regain all that I lost but I never believed her until she told me about Dr Otonokpo and she gave me his contacts and I contacted him, and he said I should not worry that everything will come back to me, after 2 weeks I was called back to resume work and the fraudster that ripped me off my money called to refund my money back to me.

    I am very happy I met Dr Otonokpo, if you have any problem at all you can contact Dr Otonokpo if you also want your ex back, if you seek fruit of the womb, promotion in your work, protection from guns and cutlass through his email: otonokpotemple@gmail.com. WhatsApp: +2348114129781

    ReplyDelete