SADLY, WHERE MATTERS STAND: Brooks denounces Creeping Trumpism!

TUESDAY, AUGUST 2, 2016

Part 2—Sadly, it's already here:
David Brooks was horrified by the Democratic Convention.

He described his reactions in last Friday's column—a column which appeared before Donald J. Trump launched his current dispute with the parents of Captain Khan.

At the end of his column, Brooks painted a possible nightmare vision concerning the state of our culture and its effect on our politics.

As Trump keeps seeking ways to lose, this nightmare seems less likely to occur, at least in its most horrific form. But this nightmare vision could occur—and in many ways, we're already living in David Brooks' nightmare world.

In his award-winning column, Brooks was quite unfriendly to Glorious Trump. He described him as "a demagogue." He said "a lunatic fringe" within the GOP had "nominated a Silvio Berlusconi."

Liker many others, he said Trump's conduct had allowed the Democrats to steal the GOP's traditional hold on the sword of patriotism. According to Brooks, Trumpism is also letting the Democrats create pleasing templates like this:
BROOKS (7/29/16): Trump has abandoned the basic modesty code that has always ennobled the American middle class: Don’t brag, don’t let your life be defined by gilded luxuries.

He left the ground open for the Democrats to seize middle-class values with one quick passage in a Tim Kaine video—about a guy who goes to the same church where he was married, who taught carpentry as a Christian missionary in Honduras, who has lived in the same house for the last 24 years.
In award-winning fashion, we chuckled when we read that. In 1999 and 2000, Candidate Gore and his wife, Tipper Gore, were still "living in the same house" where Tipper had lived as a child!

It was a modest suburban house. Given the scripting which ruled the time, few pundits thought it showed the modesty code or the middle-class values of Candidate Gore, the man who was then being invented as The World's Biggest Known Liar.

Eventually, our pundit scripts change! Moving right along:

Near the end of his column, Brooks moved toward his promulgation of that possible nightmare vision. He started with a striking suggestion about Candidate Trump, one which is, unfortunately, now quite a bit overdue.

According to Brooks, this is the way he felt, each night, during the Democratic Convention. Ruefully, we were struck by the highlighted diagnosis:
BROOKS: This week I left the arena here [in Philadelphia] each night burning with indignation at Mike Pence. I almost don’t blame Trump. He is a morally untethered, spiritually vacuous man who appears haunted by multiple personality disorders. It is the “sane” and “reasonable” Republicans who deserve the shame—the ones who stood silently by, or worse, while Donald Trump gave away their party’s sacred inheritance.
Is Candidate Trump in the grip of "multiple personality disorders?" And by the way, what does that mean?

Is a "personality disorder" a form of "mental illness?" If we understand correctly, and we may not, not all experts agree on that point.

That said, a personality disorder is a psychiatric condition. It has long been wisely assumed that such discussions should be kept out of politics. That said, Candidate Trump's behavior is so relentlessly strange that Brooks' suggestion seems appropriate to us.

(We first asked if Trump was mentally ill when he posed beside that table which was piled high with the raw "Trump steaks" which weren't.)

Trumpism may be a form of mental disorder. It's unfortunate when such conditions exist in the makeup of any person.

But if Trump is new to our politics, Trumpism has long been a part of our upper-end journalism. We'll explore that undiscussed fact tomorrow. For today, let's discuss the nightmare vision which emerged as Brooks continued along from his diagnosis of Trump.

Candidate Trump is disordered, Brooks said. As Trump's craziness has emerged, Candidate Pence has stood silently by, or worse.

As a result, the Democrats have "won the summer," Brooks said right in his column's headline. But he said that might not even matter this year! As he completed his column, a nightmare vision emerged:
BROOKS (continuing directly): The Democrats had by far the better of the conventions. But the final and shocking possibility is this: In immediate political terms it may not make a difference.

The Democratic speakers hit doubles, triples and home runs. But the normal rules may no longer apply. The Democrats may have just dominated a game we are no longer playing.

Both conventions featured one grieving parent after another. The fear of violent death is on everybody’s mind—from ISIS, cops, lone sociopaths. The essential contract of society—that if you behave responsibly things will work out—has been severed for many people.

It could be that in this moment of fear, cynicism, anxiety and extreme pessimism, many voters may have decided that civility is a surrender to a rigged system, that optimism is the opiate of the idiots and that humility and gentleness are simply surrendering to the butchers of ISIS. If that’s the case then the throes of a completely new birth are upon us and Trump is a man from the future.

If that’s true it’s not just politics that has changed, but the country.
Have our norms devolved to this point? Could it be that the disordered Candidate Trump is really "a man from the future?" Could it be that "the throes of a completely new birth are upon us?" Is that nightmare vision a genuine possibility?

In the days since Brooks' column appeared, Trump's disordered behavior has (apparently) made it less likely that he will win in November. Who knows? He may be seeking ways to lose, as Candidate Perot successfully did in July 1992, when he quit a three-way race he was actually leading.

Despite his recent disordered behavior, Candidate Trump is still in the race. Have our norms descended to the place where he could end up in the White House?

The answer to that is still yes. A more significant point is this:

Trumpism had deeply infested our culture long before Trump threw his hat in the ring. Trumpism got here long before Candidate Trump.

David Brooks' guild has been deeply involved in that Creeping Trumpism. We'll discuss that long-standing problem tomorrow. We'll start with this gruesome, dull-witted profile from Sunday's New York Times.

Tomorrow: Sternism, Creeping Dowdism

14 comments:

  1. Multiple personality disorder (MPD) is not the same as "multiple personality disorders". MPD is controversial. Having more than one diagnosable personality disorder is not. The existence of personality disorders is about as controversial as global warming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Leave Bob alone.

      Delete
    2. Hi. Im 25years old and I was with my ex for 3years after a year of being together we moved in with eachother with my daughter who calls my ex daddy our relationship was great living apart but once we moved in with eachother the arguments started and my trust issues. I always use to get funny about him going down the pub with his mates while im at home and we then ended up falling out and he would be gone all night and come in at like 3-4am drunk. I also use to get funny about him going away on holiday with his mates every year. I know him breaking up with me was my fault but not sure why he broke up with me anyway money was getting tight living together so we decided to move out and he go back to his mums and I get a place for me and my daughter we argued alot at that point because of the stress trying to find somewhere to live he said he wanted to go on a months break after moving out so we can clear our heads 3weeks into our break me text me saying we’re over I was really upset because I love him so much I was always texting him and ringing him saying I love him give me another chance then he blocked my number so I couldn’t contact him do then I message him on fb asking about my daughter as she was going on about how she doesn’t understand why she’s nit seeing daddy anymore he replies with contact me once your over me and I will have contact with your daughter.so I left it a week and even though im not over him still till this day I messaged him saying I was over him so he replies with im glad to hear your over me we will arrange something for me to see your daughter. I still love him and I wanted him back i told my sister about it and she introduced me to the Famous Prophet Akim,who helps in so many ways.i contacted him and he did his thing,before i knew it,the next day Moric called me and apologized that he was sorry for everything and im sure he will never leave me again. i am so happy now,you can also get in touch with akim on his email .(prayerstosavemarriage@hotmail.com) :)

      Delete
  2. This is America. If republicans nominated Jabba the Hutt, (and I think they just did) he would get 40% of the vote without breaking a sweat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's call it Trumpismo, instead of Trumpism. Bound to set him off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David Brooks:

    Here's how you do it.

    The question I think they have to ask themselves is, if you are repeatedly having to say in very strong terms that what he has said is unacceptable, why are you still endorsing him? What does this say about your party that this is your standard-bearer? This isn't a situation where you have an episodic gaffe. This is daily and weekly where they are distancing themselves from statements he's making. There has to be a point in which you say this is not somebody I can support for President of the United States, even if he purports to be a member of my party. The fact that that has not yet happened makes some of these denunciations ring hollow."
    -President Obama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To me, the most frightening issue if Trump were to become President, is that he actually WOULD be final authority on some very important decisions. If he ordered nuclear strikes on Iran, or on ISIS, who would say no? He clearly doesn't accept advice from anyone, and clearly can't control his angry impulses. He seems to be unable to take sound counsel from anyone. His failure to accomplish the 'pivot' to centrist language in the general election is perhaps most indicative of the face that none of the wise men in the Republican Party are going to be able to control him as President. George Bush was the 'Decider' but he clearly was capable of being educated, influenced and controlled by senior advisers.

      Delete
    2. It would be a situation comparable to:

      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_in_May

      except in reverse. If a coup succeeded and saved us from nuclear destruction, it would be the end of the world's longest experiment with democracy.

      Delete
  5. " ...their party's sacred inheritance."

    BWAAAHAHAHAHA!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi. Im 25years old and I was with my ex for 3years after a year of being together we moved in with eachother with my daughter who calls my ex daddy our relationship was great living apart but once we moved in with eachother the arguments started and my trust issues. I always use to get funny about him going down the pub with his mates while im at home and we then ended up falling out and he would be gone all night and come in at like 3-4am drunk. I also use to get funny about him going away on holiday with his mates every year. I know him breaking up with me was my fault but not sure why he broke up with me anyway money was getting tight living together so we decided to move out and he go back to his mums and I get a place for me and my daughter we argued alot at that point because of the stress trying to find somewhere to live he said he wanted to go on a months break after moving out so we can clear our heads 3weeks into our break me text me saying we’re over I was really upset because I love him so much I was always texting him and ringing him saying I love him give me another chance then he blocked my number so I couldn’t contact him do then I message him on fb asking about my daughter as she was going on about how she doesn’t understand why she’s nit seeing daddy anymore he replies with contact me once your over me and I will have contact with your daughter.so I left it a week and even though im not over him still till this day I messaged him saying I was over him so he replies with im glad to hear your over me we will arrange something for me to see your daughter. I still love him and I wanted him back i told my sister about it and she introduced me to the Famous Prophet Akim,who helps in so many ways.i contacted him and he did his thing,before i knew it,the next day Moric called me and apologized that he was sorry for everything and im sure he will never leave me again. i am so happy now,you can also get in touch with akim on his email .(prayerstosavemarriage@hotmail.com) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Testimony On How My Ex Come Back.
    My life is back!!! After 2 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids . I felt like my life was about to end i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr Mako, which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet,I came across allot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony,it was about a woman called Sonia,she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr Mako's e-mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 48hours, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before Dr Mako, is really a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man... If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for you. Try High Makospelltemple@yahoo.com anytime, he might be the answer to your problems. Here's his contact: Makospelltemple@yahoo.com or call him :+2347054263874

    ReplyDelete