The Times takes PA off the map!

MONDAY, AUGUST 1, 2016

This too might be comic relief:
Who's going to win the November election?

We don't have the slightest idea. Given the lunacy of this campaign, no one else really knows either.

That said, we had to chuckle at something we saw on the front page of yesterday's New York Times. We've heard this bite a million times, but Burns and Haberman came close, at the start of their front-page report, to awarding the state of Pennsylvania to Candidate Hillary Clinton:
BURNS AND HABERMAN (7/31/16): Donald J. Trump, confronting a daunting electoral map and a significant financial disadvantage, is preparing to fall back from an expansive national campaign and concentrate the bulk of his time and money on just three or four states that his campaign believes he must sweep in order to win the presidency.

Even as Mr. Trump has ticked up in national polls in recent weeks, senior Republicans say his path to the 270 Electoral College votes needed for election has remained narrow—and may have grown even more precarious. It now looks exceedingly difficult for him to assemble even the barest Electoral College majority without beating Hillary Clinton in a trifecta of the biggest swing states: Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania.

President Obama won all three states in 2008 and 2012, and no Republican has won Pennsylvania in nearly three decades.
You've already heard it a million times. The Dems haven't lost the Keystone State since Michael Dukakis narrowly lost it in 1988!

That's true, of course. We thought you might like the see the landslide totals the victorious Dems have racked up:
Winning vote totals in Pennsylvania
1992: Clinton, 45.1%
1996: Clinton, 49.2%
2000: Gore, 50.6%
2004: Kerry, 50.9%
2008: Obama, 54.5%
2012: Obama, 52.0%
Perot cut into Clinton's totals. But with runaway outcomes like those in the past, who could imagine that Candidate Crazy could possibly win this state?

Burns and Haberman typed more than 1800 words. In our view, it would have made sense to stick the word "narrowly" in there.

8 comments:

  1. In addition to hiding the closeness of past races in PA, Burns and Haberman offer no real evidence that PA is necessary, merely saying, "It now looks exceedingly difficult" for Trump to win without PA. Furthermore,the article itself undercuts that statement, because it points out that in 2000 and 2004, the Reps won the Presidency without winning PA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. Im 25years old and I was with my ex for 3years after a year of being together we moved in with eachother with my daughter who calls my ex daddy our relationship was great living apart but once we moved in with eachother the arguments started and my trust issues. I always use to get funny about him going down the pub with his mates while im at home and we then ended up falling out and he would be gone all night and come in at like 3-4am drunk. I also use to get funny about him going away on holiday with his mates every year. I know him breaking up with me was my fault but not sure why he broke up with me anyway money was getting tight living together so we decided to move out and he go back to his mums and I get a place for me and my daughter we argued alot at that point because of the stress trying to find somewhere to live he said he wanted to go on a months break after moving out so we can clear our heads 3weeks into our break me text me saying we’re over I was really upset because I love him so much I was always texting him and ringing him saying I love him give me another chance then he blocked my number so I couldn’t contact him do then I message him on fb asking about my daughter as she was going on about how she doesn’t understand why she’s nit seeing daddy anymore he replies with contact me once your over me and I will have contact with your daughter.so I left it a week and even though im not over him still till this day I messaged him saying I was over him so he replies with im glad to hear your over me we will arrange something for me to see your daughter. I still love him and I wanted him back i told my sister about it and she introduced me to the Famous Prophet Akim,who helps in so many ways.i contacted him and he did his thing,before i knew it,the next day Moric called me and apologized that he was sorry for everything and im sure he will never leave me again. i am so happy now,you can also get in touch with akim on his email .(prayerstosavemarriage@hotmail.com) :)

      Delete
  2. Gee, Bob. That's odd because every election I keep hearing how Pennsylvania is an important swing, battleground state to BOTH candidates, not that it's in the bag for either one.

    And if you look at the 2012 electoral map, Trump needs to find 64 electoral votes that Romney didn't get. Where's he going to find those if he loses any one Pennsylvania, Ohio OR Florida? Iowa? Nevada? Wisconsin?

    Good luck. And that's assuming Trump carries every state that Romney carried. If he loses just North Carolina, uh oh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. More context about the Pennsylvania map:

    1992: + 9 Clinton
    1996: + 9 Clinton
    2000: + 4 Gore
    2004: + 2.5 Kerry
    2008: + 10 Obama
    2012: + 5 Obama

    So yeah, Trump's got his work cut out for him in Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. Im 25years old and I was with my ex for 3years after a year of being together we moved in with eachother with my daughter who calls my ex daddy our relationship was great living apart but once we moved in with eachother the arguments started and my trust issues. I always use to get funny about him going down the pub with his mates while im at home and we then ended up falling out and he would be gone all night and come in at like 3-4am drunk. I also use to get funny about him going away on holiday with his mates every year. I know him breaking up with me was my fault but not sure why he broke up with me anyway money was getting tight living together so we decided to move out and he go back to his mums and I get a place for me and my daughter we argued alot at that point because of the stress trying to find somewhere to live he said he wanted to go on a months break after moving out so we can clear our heads 3weeks into our break me text me saying we’re over I was really upset because I love him so much I was always texting him and ringing him saying I love him give me another chance then he blocked my number so I couldn’t contact him do then I message him on fb asking about my daughter as she was going on about how she doesn’t understand why she’s nit seeing daddy anymore he replies with contact me once your over me and I will have contact with your daughter.so I left it a week and even though im not over him still till this day I messaged him saying I was over him so he replies with im glad to hear your over me we will arrange something for me to see your daughter. I still love him and I wanted him back i told my sister about it and she introduced me to the Famous Prophet Akim,who helps in so many ways.i contacted him and he did his thing,before i knew it,the next day Moric called me and apologized that he was sorry for everything and im sure he will never leave me again. i am so happy now,you can also get in touch with akim on his email .(prayerstosavemarriage@hotmail.com) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to thank Dr.Agbazara for his job in my family, this is man who left me and the kids for another woman without any good reasons, i was pain and confuse,till one day when i was browsing through the internet with my computer then i saw Dr.Agbazara contact, then i contaced him and he help me cast a reunion spell, since I then the situation has changed, everything is moving well, my husband who left me is now back to his family. reach DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE via email if you have any relationship problem at:

    ( agbazara@gmail.com)
    OR whatsapp or call him on +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have learned a lot from your valuable sharing. gomovies

    ReplyDelete