Did Fiona Hill perhaps overstate?

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 26, 2019

Being liberal means never having to ask:
Did Fiona Hill perhaps overstate one basic point during last week's impeachment hearings?

We'd be inclined to say that she possibly/probably did. That said, it's amazingly easy to state the basic facts about the disrupted issue.

More to the point, being liberal means never having to ask! While the others are being propagandized over on Fox, we liberals get things tribally "simplified" in all our own tribal outlets.

On what did Hill perhaps overstate? At issue is the now-sacred part of her opening statement in which Hill said this:
HILL (11/21/19): Based on questions and statements I have heard, some of you on this committee appear to believe that Russia and its security services did not conduct a campaign against our country and that perhaps, somehow for some reason, Ukraine did.

This is a fictional narrative
that has been perpetrated and propagated by the Russian security services themselves.

The unfortunate truth is that Russia was the foreign power that systematically attacked our democratic institutions in 2016. This is the public conclusion of our intelligence agencies confirmed in bipartisan congressional reports. It is beyond dispute, even if some of the underlying details must remain classified.
Within the liberal and mainstream worlds, that is now sacred text. According to Hill, some Republicans on the committee "appear to believe that Russia and its security services did not conduct a campaign against our country" during Campaign 2016, and that Ukraine maybe did.

That's a "fictional narrative," Hill said. According to Hill, it's a bogus tale which was invented, and is being peddled, by the Russians themselves.

So spoke Hill, murkily basing her statement on "questions and statements I have heard." She was challenged about this matter by several Republican committee members. In our view, she surrendered a fair amount of ground as she responded to their complaints.

Last Saturday, we posted some of the things Hill said in response to these challenges. In our view, Hill was so far out over her skis that she did something that's nearly impossible—she created a situation in which Devin Nunes was able to make a perfectly accurate statement:
"Needless to say, it is entirely possible for two separate nations to engage in election meddling at the same time."
In response to Hill's assessment, Nunes made that accurate statement. He claimed that, while the Russians "meddled," some Ukrainian officials meddled too.

In the face of Nunes' pushback, we'd have to say that Hill backpedaled to a fair extent. To review the sorts of things we mean, see Saturday's report.

Luckily, it's easy to report the basic state of the facts in this matter. Almost everyone seems to agree that it was the Russians who hacked (stole) the DNC emails and arranged for them to be published. Over on the Senate side, Senator Kennedy even agreed with that assessment, speaking to Chris Cuomo last night.

Nunes seemed to say that Republican committee members don't disagree with that assessment. Beyond that, though, he said that some Ukrainian officials "meddled" in other ways.

Hill didn't exactly disagree with Nunes' complaint about the Ukrainian officials. Importantly, she stressed the idea that the "top-down" Russian interference was much more extensive than anything any Ukrainian did.

These basic facts are easy to state—unless you're living at a time of tribal war. In that unfortunate circumstance, the warring tribes will pick and choose from last Thursday's discussion in ways designed to simplify the story in tribally pleasing ways.

Tomorrow, we'll show you how last Thursday's interactions are being sifted for liberal audiences. Conservatives get propagandized on Fox—but our own tribe's most important sachems are routinely embarrassing too.

This is basic "human" nature, top anthropologists repeatedly tell us, speaking to us from the future. Our species runs on tribal true belief, these credentialed experts say, and on the sanding of basic facts to create pleasing tribal narratives.

We're living in "fictitious times," these despondent scholars glumly say. Michael Moore used the formulation first, though he, as humans will generally do, was mainly discussing the "fictional narratives" pimped by those he opposes.

At times of tribal war, warring tribes create dumbly simplified warring tales. According to experts, this ancient human impulse lies at the heart of the problem we're all living with right now, today.

This problem isn't easy to solve. Dissembling makes it worse and tends to serve those in power.

19 comments:

  1. "Within the liberal and mainstream worlds, that is now sacred text."

    Duh. To doubt the zombie creed (of the moment) is a thoughtcrime.

    You know it as well as I do, dear Bob, with is why you have to tip toe around your cult's goebbelsian drivel with pathetic "perhaps overstate?"

    Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many things can be true at the same time.

    1) It's true that it is entirely possible for two separate nations to engage in election meddling at the same time.

    2) It's true that investigations show Russia was engaging in election meddling in 2016.

    3) It's true that investigations show Republican claims of Ukraine meddling in our elections in 2016, are baseless.

    4) It's true Bob is working overtime to paint Republican treason as a "both sides" issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true that Bob is a Trumptard

      Delete
  3. The subject which Hill was addressing was whether Ukraine was actually responsible for the meddling which the intelligence professionals said was the work of Russia. This claim which Republicans were pushing was the "fictional narrative" which Hill was referring to. She did not claim that Ukraine did not attempt to influence the election or the general attitude toward Russia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ' Conservatives get propagandized on Fox—but our own tribe's most important sachems are routinely embarrassing too.'

    You're right, your own tribe of Trumptards are embarrassing too, just not to TDH since you spend so much time defending them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Somerby’s posts on the impeachment hearings have been stunningly superficial, and his focus on Republican bunk lines up almost perfectly with the right-wing’s views, especially the part where he reduces Schiff’s chairmanship of the committee to grievance politics: How did Shifty Schiff make the Others “feel” today?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It’s like something out of 1984.

    Fiona Hill “perhaps overstated one basic point”, but she at the same time was also “so far out over her skis.”

    What Ukraine did wasn’t actually election interference, but maybe “they” “meddled” in our election, (meaning an op-Ed by some Ukrainian official), which morphs into “interference” (“Russian interference was much more extensive than anything any Ukrainian did.”), hence both nations can be said to have “interfered”. Got it? Voila.

    Somerby is the Devin Nunes of bloggers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Hill might have overstated the idea that there were some Republicans who thought that Russia did not meddle. Because apparently there aren't.

      But this is not the same as saying that SHE said they were all wrong about Ukraine, which is how it's being played off by the MSNBC crowd. They may be, but I think this is Bob's point here.

      Delete
  7. i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346










    i am ERIC BRUNT by name. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three(3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster on this address AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com have help a woman to get back her husband and i gave him a reply to his address and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 3 days that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Akhere contact him on email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com
    or
    call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Name is Dr sebi you can Contact Me via Email drsebicurecenter@gmail.com For Penis Enlargement Product to help you get as long as 8inches Long with good Erection. Contact Me Via Email : drsebicurecenter@gmail.com Via WhatsApp +2347010538590

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Can’t still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn’t believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Can’t still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr Oyagu who I met through the internet, I actually couldn’t believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr Oyagu send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr Oyagu, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr Oyagu did it for me, contact him oyaguherbalhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2348101755322

    ReplyDelete
  11. HELLO EVERYONE.. FEW MUNINETS TO REDY THIS INFOR ON HERPES CURE 2018..
    2017 MY MOTHER WAS DIAGNOSED OF HERPES/ KNOWN AS GENITAL WARTS ,I SPENT A LOT OF MONEY ON HER MEDICATION TILL A POINT I EVEN LOST HOPE,BECAUSE MY MOTHER WAS GRADUALLY DYING AND LOST HER MEMORY TOO, I WAS SO DESPERATE TO GET MY MOTHER BACK TO NORMAL, ONE DAY MY UNCLE WHO LIVES IN LONDON UNITED KINGDOM TOLD ME ABOUT DR OLIHA ,WHO HELPED HIM GET RID OF HERPES /GENITAL WART WITH HERBAL MEDICINE AND HIS HERBAL SOAP ,I WAS SO SHOCKED WHEN HE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS ,ALTHOUGH I NEVER BELIEVE IN HERB BUT, I KEEP TO BELIEVE BECAUSE MY UNCLE CAN'T TELL ME LIES WHEN IT COMES TO HEALTH CONDITION I CONTACTED DR OLIHA VIA HIS EMAIL; OLIHA.MIRACLEMEDICINE@GMAIL.COM , YOU CAN TALK TO HIM VIA CALL OR WHATSAPP MESSENGER ON +2349038382931 , HE REPLIED AND ASK ME TO SEND MY HOME ADDRESS AND MY MOTHER'S DETAIL AND THEN I PURCHASED THE HERBAL MEDICINE,SENT ME THE HERBAL MEDICINE THROUGH COURIER SERVICE, WHEN I RECEIVED THIS HERBAL MEDICINE USED IT FOR 2 WEEKS, AND 4 DAYS OF USAGE THE WARTS FELL OFF, MY MOTHER I NOW TOTALLY CURED AND MY MOTHER IS LIVING FREE AND HAPPY AGAIN. YOU CAN TALK TO DR VIA HIS MOBILE NUMBER OR WHATS APP HIM ON +2349038382931.ALL THANKS TO DOCTOR DR OLIHA  

    ReplyDelete
  12. My name is Louis Edmond, I am from USA. I want to share a testimony about Dr Aluya, a great spell caster who is very straight forward with his words of casting spells. When my Wife left me for another Man i was so confused,but one a day a friend of mine gave me the email address of this great spell caster called dr Aluya, I contacted this man and explained to him all that i was going through,he then told me to be calm and not worry anymore because my case is a very easy one. At first I never believed all that he was saying until when my husband returned home two days later begging me to forgive him for all that he had done to me and to please accept him back into my life,I was so amazed,I never believed it was going to happen that fast.
    This man is truly great indeed. Contact him today for a perfect solution to your love problem, aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com.  or whatsApp him  +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi everyone, my name is Rabueil Islam
     and am from London, I met this spell caster called Dr Aluya of aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com online and so many other, but i decided to go with this particular spell caster and this is about 2 weeks ago. I needed the spell caster to reunite me and my lover because she started behaving strange and a day came she text me and told me she cannot continue with the relationship anymore, that she just want to be alone. But a close friend of hers shows the guy to me that she was now dating. So i contacted thcomis spell caster because i was totally heart broken and i smoked and get drunk till i could not even notice if am standing or lying.This spell caster told me not to worry, he gave me hope that am to have her again just like old times, and i provided all the requirements, and in just 5 days, my ex lover called me crying over the phone asking for me to forgive her for her stupid act, and she swore with her mother grave to love me and never hurt me again.This was what the spell caster earlier told me and it came after he has done the spell and that same night, my lover came to my house and spend the night with me.I have never seen spell as powerful as this but now, am convinced that Dr Aluya is the best ever, You can contact him through him email address:aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  14. My lover dumped for  another woman with two kids i was confused until i came
    in contact with Dr Aluya who helped me with a powerful love spell that
    brought him back within 2 days. contact Dr Aluya for help on :
    Email :aluya.48hoursspelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him  +2348110493039

    ReplyDelete
  15. i want to recommend Dr Eromosele as the best spell caster from Africa, he is a good and guanine man who love help people, i came across his testimonies online and how he help people bring back their lover, at first i thought he was one of those scammer but i decried to try but to my greatest surprise he didn't have a good job and my love is back and will a living together as one. all this was because of dr eromosele, you can contact him today and get your problem solved you him on whatsapp at +2348075799423 or email him at: dreromosele156@gmeil.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
    Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever

    ReplyDelete

  17. I was tested Herpes positive and ever since then i have been taking different kinds of medicine but yet no improvement until i made a research on google then i came across testimonies on how this a herbal practitioner Robinson buckler has been curing different people from different kinds of diseases, immediately i contacted him. After our discussion he prepared the medicine and send it to me, which i received and took according to his instructions. Now my doctor just confirmed me HSV2 negative. My heart is so filled with joy, thank you so much Robinson buckler for curing me. If you are reading this and you are suffering from HSV or any other disease or you want to fix your broken marriage/relationship or maybe get back with your Ex husband, Ex wife, Boyfriend or girlfriend you
    you can reach this herbal doctor on….robinsonbuckler11@gmail.com.......Robinsonbuckler@yahoo.com

    [Arthritis]

    [Herpes]

    [Hypertension]

    [The Opioid Epidemic]

    [Stroke]

    [Obesity]

    [Infertility/Impotency]

    [Eye Problem]

    [Fibroid Tumor]

    [Enlarge Prostate]

    [Erectile Dysfunction]

    ReplyDelete