Concerning our hapless American kids!

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2016

They outscore miraculous Finland:
Last year, students from the developed nations took part in both of the world's major international testing programs.

We refer to The Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (Timss), which is administered on a four-year cycle, and to The Program for International Student Assessment (Pisa), which is administered every three years.

Results from the 2015 Pirls are now available. Yesterday, the Washington Post offered this striking report about the new scores in its hard-copy editions. The New York Times has posted this AP report on-line, but has so far ignored these new results in its hard-copy editions.

We'll review the news reports at the end of the week. For today, we'll post some of the new results and link to the rest of the data.

The Timss tests students in Grade 4 and Grade 8 in both science and math. A larger number of nations take part at the Grade 4 level, so we'll show you those results. (We'll post links to Grade 8 scores below.)

Below, you see selected average scores in Grade 4 math. We're including the three Asian tigers and other large nations. We're also including miraculous Finland, star of our upper-end press.

We've "disaggregated" American scores to help bring our challenges into focus. You'll note that, in the aggregate, American kids (slightly) outperformed their peers from miraculous Finland:
Average scores, Grade 4 math, 2015 Timss
South Korea: 608
United States, Asian-American students: 605
Taiwan: 597
Japan: 593
Russia: 564
United States, white students: 559
England: 546
United States: 539
Finland: 535
Poland: 535
Germany: 522
Australia: 517
United States, Hispanic students: 515
Canada: 511
Italy: 507
Spain: 505
United States, black students: 495
France: 488
It's hard to reconcile those scores with the press corps' standard gloom-and-doom about our ratty American schools with their fiendish teachers unions and their hapless students.

Those scores don't seem to support those scripts. That said, American performance may have been somewhat better in Grade 4 science:
Average scores, Grade 4 science, 2015 Timss
United States, Asian-American students: 598
South Korea: 589
United States, white students: 570
Japan: 569
Russia: 567
Taiwan: 555
Finland: 554
Poland: 547
United States: 546
England: 536
Germany: 528
Canada: 525
Australia: 524
United States, Hispanic students: 518
Spain: 518
Italy: 516
United States, black students: 501
France: 487
Uh-oh! In Grade 4 science, Asian-American kids outscored the rest of the world! White kids outscored two of the three Asian tigers, trailing South Korea.

These test scores are hard to reconcile with preferred elite narratives—narratives which have been drummed into everyone's heads down through the many long years.

That said, those narratives form one part of the scripted "fake news" our big newspapers support and adore. Our newspapers love their own fake news. They just hate it from everyone else!

At the end of the week, we'll examine the way these test results have been reported in the American press. Of one thing you can be fairly certain; we liberals won't hear a word about this on our own "cable news" channel.

The stars of our own cable shows prefer to offer entertainment and suitable tribal porridge. Lawrence discusses the needs of children in Malawi, as he very much should. Our own students and teachers go undiscussed. They simply don't matter to our stars, with their well-schooled corporate minds.

Those test scores show the achievement gaps which lie at the heart of our public school challenge. As far as MSNBC is concerned, the kids on the short end of those gaps can just go play in traffic. On our fiery liberal channel, those kids' interests don't count.

(Unless someone gets shot and killed by a policeman. At such times, we'll invent false facts about the shooting. It's our way of showing we care.)

Why won't we hear about these scores, or about those gaps, on our cable channel? The suits don't think that Those Children produce good ratings. Given the very large sums at stake, our big stars do as they're told.

Lawrence discusses Malawi each year. This makes us liberals feel good.

For full data at both grade levels: Relative American performance is roughly the same at the Grade 8 level. It's just that more nations participate at the Grade 4 level.

(The Pisa tests 15-year-old students. For students in this general age range, some nations settle for that.)

For other Grade 4 scores and for Grade 8 scores, you should start by clicking here.

At that point, you're on your own. Everything we've posted is there.

10 comments:

  1. These scores are important because they will provide a baseline that we can compare against after 4 years of Trump's new Education Secretary and her assault on public schools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us hope that before any significant changes are made these scores will be made public via a responsible journalistic source and broadcast far and wide to counter the propaganda promoted by the privatization faction.

      Delete
  2. "fiery liberal channel"

    derp

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello,
      I Read the article of a very great spell caster and it seems very helpful to me. I haven’t had the chance to have a proper relationship with my ex because we work together. This will be the final week or work and then I wont be around him constantly. Unfortunately, I broke one of the rules in the article and have been sleeping with him. Something I’m
      not proud of, especially since he has a girlfriend. Not to mention that she’s a girl he dated off and on for 3 years before he dated me.
      When I asked him why he kept sleeping with me even though he was in a relationship, his response was because I wanted it, and he wants me to be happy. But obviously what would make me happy would be to have him all to myself. That was when i read about dr alexzander on how he help people in saving their relationship and i was really despirate for his help. There were things in our relationship that were tough. We traveled for 4 months right in the beginning, and it was hard due to different expectations. When we returned our living situation was unstable which caused a lot of stress on my end. And when I ask why he didn’t give me a chance to make things better he said he gave
      me tons of chances. Oh, and he compared our relationship with his past. He says that things were great, and then they went bad really fast, and thats why his back with his ex. Because it at least took them years for things to get that bad. So i was very sad and disappointing and decided to contact this spell caster for help with tears running out of my
      eyes and Dr alexzander promised to make things right in my relationship and also assured me that my boyfriend is going to come back to me within 78hrs. At first i was shock and didnt believe him because i thought it was impossible to do. But i gave it a try and trusted him. Dr alexzander asked for my details and his, then guarantee me of his return. Truely my ex lover started calling me and also begging me to forgive him and that's his willing to give us a second chance, then promised me never to love any other woman apart from me. it all seem like a miracle to me till now. Dr alexzander. Words can't express how i feel right now. it been 2 month now since you casted that love spell for me and
      nothing have gone bad between us. his now caring more than ever and also the loving kind of Man i have ever wanted for myself in life. I thank you Dr alexzander for saving my relationship. Indeed you are the best. I want to use this media to share my testimony for the whole world to see and know that there is still hope in your broken relationship, No matter how bad it seems don't give up hope and also contact this man who saved my own. you can reach him through his website address http://alexzanderhightemple-com.webs.com or contact him direct with his email address alexzanderhightemple@gmail.com. I thank you dr alexzander for helping me and i will always share my testimony in every social media or place i may go to.
      (From United State Of America).
      Mrs Tracy Grilli.!
      https://tracygrilli.blogspot.com.tr

      Delete
  3. This would be a good disaggregation: United States, white students whose parents voted for Hillary; United States, white students whose parents voted for Mr Trump.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our hapless kids lead miraculous Finland. We lead the world in belief in miraculous entities known as angels. We lead the world in number of billionaires and number of people in prison. Our hapless government leads the world in number of chief executives who finish second in elections. All these things are related.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just saw the movie "Moonlight". It's amazing and wonderful. It depicts the growth of a boy living in Liberty City, "Miami's Ghetto".

    This movie reminded me of how inadequate it is to break down education statistics by race. The black children living in this area have little in common with middle class blacks. It's misleading to put them in the same category.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your preferred breakdown?

      Delete
  6. Hello,
    I Read the article of a very great spell caster and it seems very helpful to me. I haven’t had the chance to have a proper relationship with my ex because we work together. This will be the final week or work and then I wont be around him constantly. Unfortunately, I broke one of the rules in the article and have been sleeping with him. Something I’m
    not proud of, especially since he has a girlfriend. Not to mention that she’s a girl he dated off and on for 3 years before he dated me.
    When I asked him why he kept sleeping with me even though he was in a relationship, his response was because I wanted it, and he wants me to be happy. But obviously what would make me happy would be to have him all to myself. That was when i read about dr alexzander on how he help people in saving their relationship and i was really despirate for his help. There were things in our relationship that were tough. We traveled for 4 months right in the beginning, and it was hard due to different expectations. When we returned our living situation was unstable which caused a lot of stress on my end. And when I ask why he didn’t give me a chance to make things better he said he gave
    me tons of chances. Oh, and he compared our relationship with his past. He says that things were great, and then they went bad really fast, and thats why his back with his ex. Because it at least took them years for things to get that bad. So i was very sad and disappointing and decided to contact this spell caster for help with tears running out of my
    eyes and Dr alexzander promised to make things right in my relationship and also assured me that my boyfriend is going to come back to me within 78hrs. At first i was shock and didnt believe him because i thought it was impossible to do. But i gave it a try and trusted him. Dr alexzander asked for my details and his, then guarantee me of his return. Truely my ex lover started calling me and also begging me to forgive him and that's his willing to give us a second chance, then promised me never to love any other woman apart from me. it all seem like a miracle to me till now. Dr alexzander. Words can't express how i feel right now. it been 2 month now since you casted that love spell for me and
    nothing have gone bad between us. his now caring more than ever and also the loving kind of Man i have ever wanted for myself in life. I thank you Dr alexzander for saving my relationship. Indeed you are the best. I want to use this media to share my testimony for the whole world to see and know that there is still hope in your broken relationship, No matter how bad it seems don't give up hope and also contact this man who saved my own. you can reach him through his website address http://alexzanderhightemple-com.webs.com or contact him direct with his email address alexzanderhightemple@gmail.com. I thank you dr alexzander for helping me and i will always share my testimony in every social media or place i may go to.
    (From United State Of America).
    Mrs Tracy Grilli.!
    https://tracygrilli.blogspot.com.tr

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone!!!

    I'm so excited share this testimony here about how i got my ex husband back after a break up. I'm Clara 28 yr old from USA, Am a woman who love and cherish my husband more than any other thing you can imagine on earth continent. My husband was so lovely and caring after 3 years of marriage he was seriously ill and the doctor confirm and said he has a kidney infection that he needed a kidney donor, that was how I start searching for who can help, doctor has given me a periodic hour that he will live just 24 hours left, that was how I ask the doctor if I can be of help to my husband that was how he carried out the text, the confirming was successful, I was now having this taught that since 3 years now we got married I have not be able to get pregnant can I be able to get bring again? That was the question I ask the doctor, he never answer his response was did you want to lost your husband? I immediately reply no I can't afford to lose him. After the operation my husband came back to live and was healthy I was also OK with the instruction given to me by the doctor, after 3 months my husband came home with another lady telling me, that is our new wife that will give us kids and take care of us, that was how I was confused and started crying all day, that was how my husband ran away with his new wife cleanable. Since then I was confuse don't know what to do that was how I went back to the doctor and tell him everything, he told me that, this is not just an ordinary it must be a spiritual problem that was how he gave me this Email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com that I should tell he all my problem that he can help that was how i contacted he and I do as instructed. After 28 hours and I have done what he ask me to do, my husband start searching for me and went back to the doctor, that was how we well settle he also told me not to worry that I will get pregnant, this month making it the fifth Month I contacted he am now 3 months pregnant. These great spell cater is a great man,
    if you have any kind of problem you can contact him here on his
    Email: Ahmedutimate@gmail.com or call him +2348160153829
    Save Your Crumbling Relationship
    http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/130/104/350/

    ReplyDelete