WHERE THE TEST SCORES ARE: Two types of deserving (American) kids!

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2016

Final week postponed until Monday:
In this morning's New York Times, we read about two types of kids—two types of American public school students—who pretty much don't exist in Finland.

In David Brooks' column, we read about American kids who are struggling with poverty, with homelessness, perhaps with the absence of parents. Brooks is describing the children he's met at a weekly dinner held at the home of two righteous Gentiles—two people who minister to such kids in Washington, D.C.

"Absolute poverty" and "relative poverty" are quite uncommon in Finland. Children who struggle in the ways Brooks describes are much less common there:
BROOKS (10/18/16): The kids who show up at Kathy and David’s have endured the ordeals of modern poverty: homelessness, hunger, abuse, sexual assault. Almost all have seen death firsthand—to a sibling, friend or parent.

It’s anomalous for them to have a bed at home. One 21-year-old woman came to dinner last week and said this was the first time she’d been around a family table since she was 11.

[...]

The kids need what all adolescents need: bikes, laptops and a listening heart. “Thank you for seeing the light in me,” one young woman told Kathy after a cry on the couch...

Poverty up close is so much more intricate and unpredictable than the picture of poverty you get from the grand national debates. The kids can project total self-confidence one minute and then slide into utter lostness the next.

The college application process often seems like a shapeless fog to them; nobody’s taught them the concrete steps to move along the way. One young woman lied on her financial aid forms because she didn’t want to admit that her father was dead, her mother was on drugs—how messed up her home life actually was.
American history and social practice have created the social realities with which these public school students must struggle. To Finland's credit, its history and its social practices have been more enlightened than ours.

This means that Finland's schools don't encounter the educational challenges produced by this sort of social dysfunction. For that reason, you can't fly to Finland to find the best way for these challenges to be addressed.

We learn about a different set of challenges in this news report about bilingual education in California, "a state where immigrants now make up roughly 25 percent of the population," a state where "more than 200 languages are spoken."

This country gains a great deal from the courage and the ambition of its many immigrants. But along the way, the children of these immigrants may, on balance, present educational challenges of a type which are rare in Finland, a nation which, for better or worse, has allowed little immigration.

For the most part, you can't fly to Finland and learn how to deal with our nation's educational challenges. Many of our greatest educational challenges don't exist in that small, middle-class, unicultural nation.

Finland never created a brutalized "racial minority." It never spent centuries trying to eliminate literacy from any such group.

For better or worse, it hasn't permitted much immigration, including the types of immigration which may tend to lower test scores. Its children rarely struggle with poverty.

For these reasons, a journalist can't sensibly fly to Finland to learn how to deal with our nation's educational challenges. To illustrate this point, we'll once again show you the data we featured in yesterday's report. Today, though, we'll include a fuller set of American scores, scores which help us understand where, on balance, our challenges lie.

Again, this is the recent international subtest on which American students, in the aggregate, actually scored least well. According to Amanda Ripley, 39 points the PISA scale is regarded as the rough equivalent of one academic year:
Average scores, math literacy, 2012 PISA
Taiwan: 560
South Korea: 554
United States, Asian-American students: 549
Japan: 536
Finland: 519
Canada: 518
Poland: 518
Germany: 514
United States, white students: 506
Australia: 504
France: 495
United Kingdom: 494
Italy: 485
Spain: 484
Russia: 482
United States: 481
United States, Hispanic students: 455
United States, black students: 421

For a fuller set of scores, click here.

On this, our worst of eight subtests on the TIMSS and the PISA, white students in the U.S. seemed to score only 12 weeks behind the miracle kids of Finland. It's silly to regard that as some sort of powerful difference. (On the PISA reading test, the corresponding difference in average scores was only five points.)

Plenty of black and Hispanic kids scored well on the PISA math test. That includes some kids who are struggling with poverty, homelessness and the lack of parental guidance. A lot of kids from immigrant backgrounds scored well on that test, though many others did not.

That said, the horror of those disaggregated American scores shows us where our challenges lie, helps demonstrate the sheer absurdity of those plane rides to Finland. That absurdity will only grow when we show you how kids from two contiguous corners of the United States—Massachusetts and Connecticut—scored on the 2012 PISA as compared to their peers in miraculous Finland, a smaller corner of Europe.

That said, we've decided to postpone the last week of this award-winning series. A lot of journalism from the campaign has been recommending itself, and tomorrow evening will feature the last Clinton-Trump debate.

When our award-winning five-week series is done, we plan to link to all its reports from a single location. This will let readers access all the information they'll never get from our American press corps. We'd like to do our last set of reports as well as we can, without the distractions this week is sure to provide.

For that reason, we'll plan to start our final week of reports, Where the Challenges Are, next Monday. In the meantime, ponder that column by David Brooks, along with that news report from California.

Also, ponder those disaggregated PISA scores. As you do, ask yourself these questions:

Why do we still hear about the wonders of miraculous Finland? Why do journalists keep flying to Finland (and now to Estonia!) to learn how to address our educational challenges, the bulk of which don't exist in that small middle-class land?

6 comments:

  1. Why do they keep flying to Finland? I guess they don't want to fly to California.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob returns to Finland regularly. Or to his old posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I have been together for almost 7 years, married for almost 4 years. We have a son that just turned 4. We got together and married young, I am 33 and he is 40. Over the years we have had many issues, including infidelity, a 6 month separation, and he said to me he wanted to get a divorce many times. I don’t necessarily have an issue getting over the past, it is his continued present behavior that keeps me wondering if he will ever change, ever mature, or be the husband and father I need him to be. he filed for divorce August 2014, but i refused to sign the papers coz i love him so much. I allowed the case to be dismissed, maybe to see if he will ever change. I have so many doubts and I am not sure which way to turn. I can not invest 100% into this marriage because I was so afraid to be disappointed all over again. I am afraid he has be cheating on me, I love him, but there are definitely no romantic feelings toward him, the feelings that made me fall in love with him in the first place. I felt so comfortable with him in my life, he makes me laugh, he’s playful, caring and attentive, on the other hand he has an anger problem, is negative, can be immature most of the time, argues with me constantly, and I don’t trust him. coz he use to cheat on me, i love my husband so much and also i want to save my marriage from divorce. so i cry to a friend of my, who told me to warp my tears, that there is a solution to my problem. so she introduce to me Dr happy a real spell caster that help to fight, stop marriage divorce and relationship problem also get ex back. so i give him a try and with-in 2day my problem with my husband was solve and ok, me and my husband and family and happily living great all thank to Dr happy you can reach him on happylovespell2@gmail.com or still call and Whats-pp him on +2348133873774 Thanks Sandra Katie from Usa California

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am saying this because when i had issues with my lover i never seen life as a good thing but thanks to Dr. AGBAZARA of AGBAZARA TEMPLE, for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for another woman after 7YEARS of marriage,but Dr.AGBAZARA help me cast a spell that brought him back to me within 48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about myself rather i will only advise those who are having issues in there relationship or marriages to contact Dr.AGBAZARA TEMPLE through these details via; ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or call him on Whatsapp: +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete

  5. 12-YEARS BARRENNESS HUMILIATED!

    Hello,I'm Donald and I return all the glory to Priest Oni for the wonderful things he has done in my life and family since i contacted him in 2007,Especially for terminating 12-years Barrenness in my family with a baby boy. My wife and i got married in August 17, 2002 but we had a challenge of the fruit of the womb since then. i contacted him with several challenges notable among which were joblessness,academic problem and childlessness but Priest Oni delivered me one after the other via divine encounters that i had after Priest Oni cast his spell for me and miraculously gave me a job about a month i completed my master's degree,Priest Oni told me specifically that "there would not fail a son to sit on the throne of his father" which i appropriated into my life,knowing fully that Priest Oni is putting and end to that challenge by giving me a son.Priest Oni proved himself faithful and his word by terminating 12-years barrenness and gave us a bouncing baby boy in July 9th 2014. To Priest Oni alone be all the glory! I thank Priest Oni every day for my wonderful and healthy family! do contact Priest Oni now via E-mail: oniherbalmagic@gmail.com OR text and call him on +1(562)-242-0796 and i assure 100% that all your problems will be over.i hope my testimony be a blessing to your life....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to thank Dr.Agbazara for his job in my family, this is man who left me and the kids for another woman without any good reasons, i was pain and confuse,till one day when i was browsing through the internet with my computer then i saw Dr.Agbazara contact, then i contaced him and he help me cast a reunion spell, since I then the situation has changed, everything is moving well, my husband who left me is now back to his family. reach DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE via email if you have any relationship problem at:

    ( agbazara@gmail.com )
    OR whatsapp or call him on +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete