WHERE THE PISA GAPS ARE: Large gaps within the American scores!

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2016

Part 2 in this series

Part 3—The shape of our demographics: In December 2012, results were released from the latest quadrennial administration of the TIMSS and the PIRLS.

This latest testing had occurred in 2011. As we noted yesterday, American students had performed rather well as compared to their peers around the world. Unless you read the New York Times, where Motoko Rich's news report started like this, gloomy headline included:
RICH (12/11/12): U.S. Students Still Lag Globally In Math and Science, Tests Show

Fourth- and eighth-grade students in the United States continue to lag behind students in several East Asian countries and some European nations in math and science,
although American fourth graders are closer to the top performers in reading, according to test results released on Tuesday.

Fretting about how American schools compare with those in other countries has become a regular pastime in education circles. Results from two new reports, the Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study and the Progress in International Reading Literacy Study, are likely to fuel further debate.

South Korea and Singapore led the international rankings in math and fourth-grade science, while Singapore and Taiwan had the top-performing students in eighth-grade science. The United States ranked 11th in fourth-grade math, 9th in eighth-grade math, 7th in fourth-grade science and 10th in eighth-grade science.

Although the average scores among American students were not significantly lower than the top performers, several nations far outstripped the United States in the proportion of students who scored at the highest levels on the math and science tests.
"Several nations" did that! The New York Times was finding ways to see the glass slightly empty.

Technically, nothing in that passage is flatly false. Everything in that passage can perhaps be defended as technically accurate, although the claim about "lagging behind some European nations" was a substantial stretch.

Yesterday, we showed you how USA Today reported those same test results. The more plebeian, multi-hued newspaper saw the glass 90 percent full as it reviewed these newest international scores. Hewing to establishment narrative, the New York Times seemed to see the glass 10 percent empty.

Gloom-and-doom frameworks routinely prevail when the American press reports on American schools. In our view, the New York Times went a bit overboard in its gloomy assessment of those TIMSS scores. That said, when the latest PISA scores were released—those from the 2012 testing—American students performed less well as compared to the rest of the world.

Yesterday, we reviewed the achievement gaps which obtained on the 2012 PISA. That is to say, we looked at the international achievement gaps—the gaps which obtained between American kids (in the aggregate) and their peers from other countries.

On the PISA math test, American students performed less well than their counterparts in almost all comparable countries. On this second major testing program, American students stacked up less well than they had on the TIMSS and the PIRLS.

What explains the difference performances on these two testing programs? That question lies beyond the scope of this series. We'll only the note the heavier weight given by the American press to results from the PISA.

As in Amanda Ripley's high-profile book, The Smartest Kids in the World, American journalists tend to discuss the less impressive American results from the PISA while disappearing the more impressive results from the TIMSS and the PIRLS. This tends to advance a gloomy portrait of the way our schools stack up as compared to the rest of the world.

That said, substantial gaps obtained on the PISA between American students and some of their peers in the rest of the world. That was especially true on the PISA math test. But those are the international gaps. For today, we'll review the domestic achievement gaps which obtained on the 2012 PISA and on the 2011 TIMSS.

We refer to the gaps which obtained between different groups of American students on these international tests. It's painful to review these gaps, but they help us see the shape of our ongoing educational challenges.

Let's start with the PISA reading test, where the average score of American students basically matched the OECD average. Because Finland is so often used as a basis for international comparisons, we'll include that nation's scores in all the presentations which follow.

How did different groups of American students score on that test? When we "disaggregate" the American data, painful domestic gaps appear, although one other gap narrows:
Average scores, reading literacy, 2012 PISA
Finland: 524
United States, white students: 519
United States: 498
United States, Hispanic students: 478
United States, black students: 443
Over the past dozen years, Finland has been relentlessly praised, within the press, for its miraculous public schools. Routinely, journalists have flown to Finland for a week of brainwashing by Finland's education ministry, whose love of propaganda is the one negative trait we know about in that small, distant middle-class land.

Finland has been endlessly praised for its superlative schools. That said, white students in the U.S. essentially matched their peers in Finland on this particular test. In her PISA-friendly book, Ripley seems to say that thirty points on the PISA scale is roughly equal to one academic year. A five-point gap on the PISA scale is a rather modest amount.

On this test, a rather small gap obtained between white American students and their Finnish peers. That said, large gaps obtained between those white American students and their black and Hispanic American peers.

Those painful domestic achievement gaps help define our ongoing educational challenge. What explains their existence?

For ourselves, we'd start with American history. Our benighted ancestors spent several centuries trying to eliminate literacy from the black population. Their horrible efforts failed, but a nation can't spend centuries engaged in such demented practices without reaping the effects of what it so brutally sowed.

For ourselves, we'd start with American history. Other people will suggest other explanations for those large domestic achievement gaps—explanations involving current educational policies and current social practices.

The attempt to explain those punishing gaps lies beyond the scope of this series. We'll continue to explore the domestic and the international gaps in the remaining reports in this series, including such factors as poverty rates and immigration practices.

That said, equally painful domestic gaps obtained on the other PISA tests in 2012. White students were at least within hailing distance of their peers in Finland, where almost every student hails from the majority ethnicity and culture. Black and Hispanic students lagged far behind:
Average scores, math literacy, 2012 PISA
Finland: 519
United States, white students: 506
United States: 481
United States, Hispanic students: 455
United States, black students: 421

Average scores, science literacy, 2012 PISA
Finland: 545
United States, white students: 528
United States: 497
United States, Hispanic students: 462
United States, black students: 439
Those domestic gaps are painful and large. To the extent that anyone cares, they define a very large part of our ongoing educational challenge.

In Finland, almost every student comes from the majority culture. There's very little child poverty. As we'll note in detail tomorrow, there were very few immigrant kids in Finland's student population when these PISA tests occurred.

In the United States, white students—those from the "majority culture"—lagged behind their Finnish peers on the PISA, but not by gigantic amounts. The larger gaps obtained between different groups of American kids, those from our largest population groups.

So far, we've been looking at the gaps which obtained on the 2012 PISA. That said, the United States and Finland had participated, one year before, on the TIMSS and PIRLS.

In our view, what's sauce for the PISA is sauce for the TIMSS. Here's the way the results broke down on the TIMSS math tests:
Average scores, Grade 4 math, 2011 TIMSS
United States, white students: 559
Finland: 545
United States: 541
United States, Hispanic students: 520
United States, black students: 489

Average scores, Grade 8 math, 2011 TIMSS
United States, white students: 530
Finland: 514
United States: 509
United States, Hispanic students: 485
United States, black students: 465
At both grade levels, white students outperformed Finland on the TIMSS math tests. Black and Hispanic students lagged far behind, defining our ongoing challenge to the extent that we care.

Roughly similar patterns obtained on the TIMSS science tests, and on the PIRLS reading test, which is conducted in Grade 4 only.

By the way, those average scores for white students include all American white students. It includes white kids living in poverty in Appalachia. It includes students in certain states whose traditional stress on education may have lagged behind that in some other states. Even with those demographic challenges, white kids in the U.S. outscored Finland on the TIMSS, came fairly close on the PISA.

In our view, these "disaggregated" test results speak to two basic issues. For starters, they help us see the foolishness of the past dozen years of Finland public school chic.

Let's assume that Finland has wonderful schools. There may be lessons that someone can learn from such schools. But the heart of our educational challenge is built in the populations which don't really exist in Finland—populations affected by our brutal racial history, by our higher incidence of poverty, by the low-income immigration practices which don't exist in Finland.

When American journalists fly to Finland, they can't see such challenges addressed. By and large, such challenges don't exist there.

In our view, these data start to point to the foolishness of Finland chic. Beyond that, the punishing domestic achievement gaps found in these basic data helps us see where our challenges lie.

Can we learn how to address those challenges by having our journalists party in Finland? Tomorrow, we'll look at what Amanda Ripley wrote in her widely-praised book about Finland's alleged success with its immigrant kids.

We're not sure we've ever seen a bigger journalistic con in such a high-profile text. Truly, there's nothing elites won't say and do to advance their narrative about our sad embarrassing schools and the horrible terrible pitiful children and adults within them.

Tomorrow: Immigration here and there

10 comments:

  1. Are you going through a Break Up? Divorce? or your husband moved to another woman? do not cry anymore,contact Dr .Unity now? I was hurt and heart broken when my husband breakup with me, and i could not know what next to do again, I love my husband so much but he was cheating on me with another woman and this makes him break up with me so that he can be able to get marred to the other lady and this lady i think use witchcraft on my husband to make him hate me and my kids and this was so critical and uncalled-for,I cry all day and night for God to send me a helper to get back my man until i went to Texas to see a friend and who was having the same problem with me but she latter got her husband back and i asked her how she was able to get her husband back and she told me that their was a powerful spell caster called Dr.Unity that help with love spell in getting back lost lover back, and i decided to contact the same Dr.Unity and he told me what is needed to be done for me to have my man back and i did it although i doubted it but i did it and the Dr told me that i will get the result after 28hours, and he told me that my husband was going to call me and i still doubted his word, to my surprise my husband really called me and told me that he miss me so much, Oh My God! i was so excited, and today i am happy with my man again and we are joyfully living together as one big family and i thank the powerful spell caster Dr.Unity for bringing back my man and i decided to share my story on the internet that Dr.Unity is best spell caster online who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, If you have any problem contact Dr.Unity and i guarantee you that he will help you,Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,you can also call him or add him on whats-app: +2348071622464,visit his website:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .

    ReplyDelete
  2. BE CAREFUL HERE MANY OF THE DOCTORS HERE ARE SCAM,MOST TESTIMONIES OF MOST SPELL CASTER HERE MUST BE IGNORE.BECAUSE THEY ARE SCAM I MEAN REAL SCAM WHICH I WAS A VICTIM.I GOT RIPPED OF THREE THOUSANDS DOLLARS BY 4 CASTERS BECAUSE I WAS SO ANXIOUS TO GET MY WIFE BACK AFTER SHE LEFT ME FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS WITH OUR 4 YEARS OLD SON JERRY,, I HAVE PAID OVER $3000 ON SPELL CASTING AND COURIER AND NOTHING HAVE WORK FOR ME UNTIL ONE FAITHFUL DAY I GOT IN CONTACT WITH MADAM SOLUTION WHO DID WHAT I CALLED MAGIC BECAUSE I CONTACTED HER ON FRIDAY AND AFTER GIVEN HER MY DETAILS AND $245 FOR THE SPELL CASTING MY WIFE CALLED ME ON SUNDAY AND NOW WE ARE BACK TOGETHER AGAIN IF YOU NEED SIMILAR HELP THEN CONTACT HER NOW VIA EMAIL AT (magic.lovespel@reincarnate.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enter your comment...God bless Dr.Edion for his marvelous work in my life, I was separate with my husband for the pass 3 year now and I wasn't satisfied i needed to get my husband back because the life of loneliness was so terrible for me and my 2 kids I searched about some possible spell caster that can bring back lover and i then come across Dr. Edion i saw a comment about Dr.Edion,how he bring lovers together with his spell caster I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my spell he ask for some information which i sent to him and also told some few things to do, after 48 hours my husband call me and start bagging me for forgiveness for all that happens i am so happy right now that we are back again as one family. If you are in the same situation right now and you don't know what to do or where to go, you can contact Dr. Edion today on ediontempl@gmail.com WhatsApp him +2348165396275. he can help you out of that you situation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to let all know that the size of your Penis really matters in your relationship or marriage. I got married to my wife about 1 month after we met on a photo studio, we lived happily for the first 3 months of our marriage until i and my wife started having quarrels at home because i couldn't satisfy her on bed with my little penis. Actually my penis was very small, it measured about 4.5 inch long on erection and i am 39 years old. My wife said it was forbidden by the women of this world. My wife started sleeping with other men outside. Sometimes i will return from work without finding my wife at home and whenever i call or ask her where she was, she will always snub at me and sometimes just tell me to go get a larger dick. All this continued for a long time and it hurt me so much that i was at the edge of breaking up on the marriage till when i read about a doctor called DR.OMOHAN. online. I never thought i could smile and be in a happy marriage again if not for the help of DR.OMOHAN. I got the doctors Emails:(dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com ) on the internet and i emailed him, and he got back to me with some encouraging words, he got me some herbs cream which i use for just 8 days and i began to feel the enlargement of my penis, and without surgery. This went on for a little period of about 10 days and to my surprise my wife keeps screaming that she love my big dick now. Now my wife no longer cheat on me, and my penis is now about 10.5 inches long on erection and off course very large round. And now my wife uses breasts, hips and bums enlargement. I and my wife are very happy for the help rendered to me by DR.OMOHAN , and i want to say a big thanks to Doctor for the help. You can contact the Doctor now on his Email:( dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com ) Am thankful to the doctor for helping me.
    his whataspp number +2348164816038

    DOCTOR OMOHAN CAN AS WELL HELP THE FOLLOWING PROBLEMS
    1. HIV/AIDS SPELL
    2. HERPES SPELL
    3. CANCER SPELL
    4 IF YOU WANT YOUR EX LOVER BACK SPELL
    5 IF YOU NEED A BABY SPELLhim to solve
    6 LOW SPERM COUNT SPELL
    get all your problem solve. No problem is too big for him to solve.  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good day everyone my name is Catherine I'm from Los Angeles. I'm here to tell you about how I lost my husband to a fellow woman after 5 years of marriage with 1 child. My husband left me for a reason I do not know, I worried and cried because I love him and I couldn't live without him,losing him troubled my mind so I told my dear friend Julia about my problem and she told of this man who helps people in a similar situation. I contacted with the man,after he did his job,I started to receive calls and texts from my husband telling me to forgive. Now I'm happy and fulfilled living with my husband and my child now got the opportunity to live with her father. So if are in a similar situation or facing marital difficulty, you can contact him via(dr.alusistanley@gmail.com). He will give you his WhatsApp number himself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ako si G. Lachica Despi, nakakita ako ng isang post sa kung paano nakuha ng isang ginang ang kanyang lalaki sa pamamagitan ng edisyon ng Doctor. Tinulungan niya siya upang maibalik ang Ex Husband. Inihiwalay ako ng aking asawa 2 taon na ang nakakaraan upang makasama sa ibang lalaki at sinubukan kong iwanan siya ngunit hindi ko magawa, kaya't sinubukan kong gumawa ng maraming bagay upang maibalik siya at tumanggi siyang bumalik sa akin. Bumisita ako sa isang forum sa isang araw para sa mga tip upang maibalik siya at doon ay nakita ko ang isang ginang na nagpapatotoo kung paano tinulungan siya ni Doctor Edion na mapabalik ang kanyang lalaki matapos na siya ay makapos ng isang spell ng ibang babae at si Doctor Edion ang tumulong sa kanya . Bagaman hindi ako naniniwala sa gawaing espiritwal ay nag-atubili akong sumubok sa kanya dahil desperado ako at nakikipag-ugnay ako sa kanya at ipaliwanag ang aking mga problema sa kanya, sa aking pinakapagtataka na si Doctor Edion ay tinulungan ako upang maibalik ang aking babae pagkatapos ng 2 araw at ngayon ang aking relasyon ay perpekto lamang tulad ng ipinangako niya. Ang pagbalik ng iyong dating permanenteng spell ay hindi lamang ibabalik ang isang taong mahal mo ngunit ito ay muling pag-isahin ang iyong mga nagmamahal sa damdamin para maging masaya ka sa taong iyon. Itinuring ako ngayon ng aking babae na parang hari at palaging sinasabi na mahal niya ako sa lahat ng oras. Kung dumadaan ka sa mga paghihirap sa iyong relasyon, makakatulong si Doctor Edion na malutas ang mga problema sa pag-aasawa, ibalik ang nasira na relasyon at maaari rin niyang pagalingin ang mga sakit tulad ng Herpes Virus, Kanser, E.T.C Email sa kanya para sa kagyat na tulong. Email: Ediontempl@gmail.com o WhatsApp / viber +2348165396275.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Am here to testify of a great spell caster who is very straight forward with his words of casting spells. When my Wife left me for another Man i was so confused,but one day a friend of mine gave me the email address of this great spell caster called Awo Babatunde, I contacted this man and explained to him all that i was going through,he then told me to be calm and not worry anymore because my case is a very easy one. At first i never believe all that he was saying until when my wife returned home two days later begging me to forgive him all that he has done to me and to please accept him back into my life,I was so amazed,I never believe it was going to happen that fast.
    This man is truly great indeed. Contact him today for a perfect solution to your love problem, Awobabatunde50@gmail.com or whatsApp him +2349045101972

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ako si G. Lachica Despi, nakakita ako ng isang post sa kung paano nakuha ng isang ginang ang kanyang lalaki sa pamamagitan ng edisyon ng Doctor. Tinulungan niya siya upang maibalik ang Ex Husband. Inihiwalay ako ng aking asawa 2 taon na ang nakakaraan upang makasama sa ibang lalaki at sinubukan kong iwanan siya ngunit hindi ko magawa, kaya't sinubukan kong gumawa ng maraming bagay upang maibalik siya at tumanggi siyang bumalik sa akin. Bumisita ako sa isang forum sa isang araw para sa mga tip upang maibalik siya at doon ay nakita ko ang isang ginang na nagpapatotoo kung paano tinulungan siya ni Doctor Edion na mapabalik ang kanyang lalaki matapos na siya ay makapos ng isang spell ng ibang babae at si Doctor Edion ang tumulong sa kanya . Bagaman hindi ako naniniwala sa gawaing espiritwal ay nag-atubili akong sumubok sa kanya dahil desperado ako at nakikipag-ugnay ako sa kanya at ipaliwanag ang aking mga problema sa kanya, sa aking pinakapagtataka na si Doctor Edion ay tinulungan ako upang maibalik ang aking babae pagkatapos ng 2 araw at ngayon ang aking relasyon ay perpekto lamang tulad ng ipinangako niya. Ang pagbalik ng iyong dating permanenteng spell ay hindi lamang ibabalik ang isang taong mahal mo ngunit ito ay muling pag-isahin ang iyong mga nagmamahal sa damdamin para maging masaya ka sa taong iyon. Itinuring ako ngayon ng aking babae na parang hari at palaging sinasabi na mahal niya ako sa lahat ng oras. Kung dumadaan ka sa mga paghihirap sa iyong relasyon, makakatulong si Doctor Edion na malutas ang mga problema sa pag-aasawa, ibalik ang nasira na relasyon at maaari rin niyang pagalingin ang mga sakit tulad ng Herpes Virus, Kanser, E.T.C Email sa kanya para sa kagyat na tulong. Email: Ediontempl@gmail.com o WhatsApp / viber +2348165396275.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to thank Dr kuta a very powerful spell caster who help me to bring my husband back to me, few month ago my husband really came back begging me to forgive him, if you need his help you can contact him with his email address drkutaherbalcenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Dr Ifayemi for what you have done for me! My husband stopped filling the divorce papers after I contacted you to help me stop the divorce with my husband and now things are going much better now. As you said, all the process concerning the divorce have been cancelled and the evil woman that cause the problem in my marriage has be sent away by my husband and we are now happy together, if you are having relationship or marriage problems or any other problems, you can email him at: (dr.ifayemis@gmail.com) or WhatsApp him (+2348118083441). Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete