Campaign watch: The press corps defends the press corps again!

WEDNESDAY, APRIL 6, 2016

Straw men v. Counselor Bruni:
As we mentioned last week, no code of silence matches the one maintained by the mainstream press corps.

You do not criticize the press! Today, Frank Bruni casts himself in the role of defender of our most glorious guild.

Once again, class traitor Nicholas Kristof seems to be the secret target of Bruni's irate defense. As quite a few other defenders have done, Counselor Bruni starts his spiel by setting up a straw man:
BRUNI (4/6/16): The only way to discourage [the endless braying by Trump] is to ignore it: We can stop feeding the habit. By “we” I mean the American people, not just journalists, because journalists didn’t determine, in a vacuum, that Trump was the star of the show, though that’s a popular complaint, narrative and apologia of late.
In fact, no one has said that "journalists determined, in a vacuum, that Trump was the star of the show." That's just the latest straw man from the guild. It's set up to be knocked down.

Journalists determined, in a vacuum, that Trump was the star of the show? Is that "complaint, narrative and apologia actually "popular of late," as Bruni says?

Actually no! In fact, that complaint doesn't even exist. It's just a straw man, not unlike the silly straw man a certain major cable star knocked down a few weeks ago.

People have made other complaints, complaints which are perfectly accurate:

People have complained that CNN and MSNBC turned their minutes and hours over to meaningless Trump events, covering such events wall to wall for no journalistic reason. People have also complained about the way major TV hosts have deferred to ridiculous statements by Trump as part of their interview sessions.

Rather than address these real complaints, guild defenders like Bruni and Maddow have set up straw men, then knocked them down. As Bruni proceeds, he adopts the greatest approach of all—he blames the whole thing on The Voters:
BRUNI (continuing directly): Journalists gave news consumers precisely what they demonstrated that they wanted. This is too often omitted from critiques of Trump’s media dominance, which comes at a time when news organizations can more quickly monitor precisely which stories and interviews are being watched and read. Watchers and readers disproportionately favored Trump, so they got more of him. Had they cast their gazes in another direction, news organizations would have followed suit.

And news organizations didn’t set Trump up to soar in the polls and win primaries. From my seat, most of the Trump coverage was negative: the Mexican “rapists,” the Muslim ban, the blood coming out of Megyn Kelly’s “wherever,” the mocking of John McCain’s imprisonment in Vietnam, the boasts about his penis, the shrugging about the Ku Klux Klan. These tempests could—and should—have done as much to quash Trump as to elevate him, unless coverage itself equals votes, in which case there’s more cause for more teeth-gnashing about American democracy than about CNN programming.
"Journalists gave news consumers precisely what they demonstrated that they wanted?"

To some extent, that's true, of course. But that's precisely the problem here. That's the widespread complaint!

Earth to Bruni: By traditional norms, journalists aren't supposed to plan news coverage that way. But as he continues, Bruni fudges this obvious point, obscuring this real complaint.

It's all the fault of The Voters, he says. The Voters made them do it:
BRUNI (continuing directly): Should producers and editors have ignored metrics in favor of their own judgment and sense of mission? They routinely do this—otherwise, there’d be wall-to-wall pet stories—but to play down Trump specifically once he’d emerged as the front-runner would have been elitist and paternalistic: exactly those qualities that the news media has been derided for.

It’s because journalists remained Trump-rapt and Trump-inquisitive that he said what he did about abortion and so many voters heard it in full. Same goes for Trump’s troubling takes on violence at his rallies, nuclear weapons in Asia, the future of NATO and so much more.
Should journalists have "played down Trump once he’d emerged as the front-runner?"

People, there he goes again! No serious person has made that suggestion. It's just another straw man for this guild defender to slay.

From there, Bruni pretends that Trump's array of crazy statements only emerged because of the press corps' rapt, inquisitive conduct. In fairness, Trump's recent breakdown about abortion did begin with strong questioning by MSNBC's Chris Matthews.

That said, Matthews' aggressive approach to Trump reversed the deferential treatment he'd long been afforded. Cooper and Todd had deferred to Trump again and again, for months. The endless fawning of Mika and Joe had been just this side of the "cable news" looney bin.

Like so many guild defenders, Bruni can't seem to bring himself to address the real complaints. As he closes, he makes one small tiny minor concession, then proceeds to blame the whole thing on The Voters again:
BRUNI (continuing directly): There are legitimate questions of proportion in regard to Trump coverage, and perhaps he has been accorded additional acres of news media real estate because he’s so easy to talk and write about, a policy-free zone of quickly digested, succinctly rendered struts and slurs.

But Americans took up residence on that terrain, and frolicked there, and if we want the end of Trump, we have to set up camp elsewhere. He’ll resist it. He’s addicted to us. Soon enough, we’ll have to confront and deal with our addiction to him.
There are legitimate questions of proportion in regard to Trump coverage! Yes, he actually said it! But as soon as he does, Bruni ends by blaming the voters again, referring to them as "us."

Like Bruni, we think the millions of voters who support Trump are making a bad judgment. Of course, those voters think the same thing about us. Come November, we'll be voting for Clinton or Sanders.

People get to cast their votes in the way they see fit. That said, under current arrangements, support for Trump means two things:

It means you'll be called a bigot racist xenophobe nativist by us the self-impressed liberals. After that, the Brunis will arrive on the scene.

Defiantly, they'll use Trump voters to hide their own colleagues' sins.

14 comments:

  1. Spin vs. Factual Reporting

    Bruni spin: There are legitimate questions of proportion in regard to Trump coverage

    Fact: TV News in March: Donald Trump Gets Five Times More Airtime than Ted Cruz

    ‎ http://newsbusters.org/blogs/nb/rich-noyes/2016/04/04/tv-news-march-donald-trump-gets-five-times-more-airtime-ted-cruz

    ReplyDelete
  2. "....to play down Trump specifically once he’d emerged as the front-runner would have been elitist and paternalistic: exactly those qualities that the news media has been derided for."

    Derided by whom, Mr. Bruni?

    The right wing Eternal Victims of the Lame Stream Media noise machine?

    Good boy, Frank, you've been well trained. All calculations must consider whether Rush Limbaugh and Mark Levin would approve or yell at you the next day.

    Have a dog biscuit. Good boy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cable Hack July 2015: Trump's Candidacy is a Gift From God


    https://www.thewrap.com/rachel-maddow-says-donald-trumps-campaign-is-gift-from-god-video/

    ReplyDelete
  4. My life became devastated when my husband sent me packing, after 8 years that we have been together. I was lost and helpless after trying so many ways to make my husband take me back. One day at work, i was absent minded not knowing that my boss was calling me, so he sat and asked me what its was all about i told him and he smiled and said that it was not a problem. I never understand what he meant by it wasn't a problem getting my husband back, he said he used a spell to get his wife back when she left him for another man and now they are together till date and at first i was shocked hearing such thing from my boss. He gave me an email address of the great spell caster who helped him get his wife back, i never believed this would work but i had no choice that to get in contact with the spell caster which i did, and he requested for my information and that of my husband to enable him cast the spell and i sent him the details, but after two days, my mom called me that my husband came pleading that he wants me back, i never believed it because it was just like a dream and i had to rush down to my mothers place and to my greatest surprise, my husband was kneeling before me pleading for forgiveness that he wants me and the kid back home, then i gave Happy a call regarding sudden change of my husband and he made it clear to me that my husband will love me till the end of the world, that he will never leave my sight. Now me and my husband is back together again and has started doing pleasant things he hasn't done before, he makes me happy and do what he is suppose to do as a man without nagging. Please if you need help of any kind, kindly contact Happy for help and you can reach him via email: happylovespell2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob tells his tribe who SEEMS to be the SECRET target.

    Bob SEEMS to deal in INVENTED bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave the Guitar PlayerApril 7, 2016 at 12:23 PM

      Another fact free slam of Bob. Having fun yet?

      Delete
    2. "Once again, class traitor Nicholas Kristof seems to be the secret target of Bruni's irate defense."

      Once again, another defense of Somerby from one of his better examples of Tribe Liberal's intellectuals.

      Delete
  6. My life became devastated when my husband sent me packing, after 8 years that we have been together. I was lost and helpless after trying so many ways to make my husband take me back. One day at work, i was absent minded not knowing that my boss was calling me, so he sat and asked me what its was all about i told him and he smiled and said that it was not a problem. I never understand what he meant by it wasn't a problem getting my husband back, he said he used a spell to get his wife back when she left him for another man and now they are together till date and at first i was shocked hearing such thing from my boss. He gave me an email address of the great spell caster who helped him get his wife back, i never believed this would work but i had no choice that to get in contact with the spell caster which i did, and he requested for my information and that of my husband to enable him cast the spell and i sent him the details, but after two days, my mom called me that my husband came pleading that he wants me back, i never believed it because it was just like a dream and i had to rush down to my mothers place and to my greatest surprise, my husband was kneeling before me pleading for forgiveness that he wants me and the kid back home, then i gave Happy a call regarding sudden change of my husband and he made it clear to me that my husband will love me till the end of the world, that he will never leave my sight. Now me and my husband is back together again and has started doing pleasant things he hasn't done before, he makes me happy and do what he is suppose to do as a man without nagging. Please if you need help of any kind, kindly contact Happy for help and you can reach him via email: happylovespell2@gmail.com



    ReplyDelete

  7. Hi friends! i want to share a live testimony on how Dr Ewan was able to bring my husband back to me, myself and my husband were on a serious breakup, even before then we were always quarreling fighting and doing different ungodly My husband packed his things out of the house and we had to live in different area, despite all this i was looking for a way to re_unite with my husband, not until i met Dr Ewan the great spell caster who was able to bring my husband back home, and he assured me that my husband will come back to me within 48hours hours after he has finish the preparation of the love am very glade today to tell the world that Doctor Ewan is truly a man of his word because my husband came back to me and we settled our differences my family is back again and we are happy living fine and healthy, with Dr Ewan all my dream came through in re_uniting my marriage, friends in case you need the help of Dr Ewan kindly mail him on( covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com) or call him on +2347052958531, Sir i will forever recommend you!!!

    ReplyDelete

  8. Be careful here nobody can help you here or even suggest how you can get your ex or love back,any testimonies of most spell caster here must be ignore.because most of them are scam i mean real scam which i was a victim and i got ripped of thousands of dollars because i was so anxious to get my wife back after she left me for over 1 years and 7 months with my 10 years old daughter,i have applied to 13 different spell caster here and all to no avail they all ask for same thing send your name your ex name address and picture phone number etc which i did over and over again and most of them were from west Africa until i saw a post about Dr Zack Balo and i decided to gave him my last trail.he ask me four things my real name,my ex and my ex mother name and $200 and said my ex will come back in 3days, i have paid over $8000 on spell casting and nothing have work for me after 3days i was thinking about how much i have lost so far so i said let me give him a try so i called him again and send my real name,my ex and my ex mother name and the $200 because i swear it was my last try so i was waiting as he told me to wait till next 3 days and i could not sleep those night because i really love my wife and want her back at 8pm the third day i saw my wife on line on face book and she said hi at first i was shock because she never talk with me for the past a year and 7 month now i did not reply again she said are you there? i quickly reply yes and she said can we see tomorrow i said yes and she went off-line i was confused i try to chat her again but she was no more on line i could not sleep that night as i was wondering what she is going to say, by 7.am the next morning she gave me a miss call i decided not to call back as i was still on shock again she call and i pick she said can we see after work today i said yes so she end the call immediately i got off work she call me and we meet and now we are back again i called Dr Zack Balo the next day thanking him for what he has done in fact i still call him and thank him as my life was not complete without my wife please be careful here i have been scam thousands of dollars if you want a true love spell then contact Dr Zack Balo on his email address wiseindividualspell@gmail.com or call him his phone number +2348078927387.

    ReplyDelete