Flint watch: A basic question concerning Flint!

MONDAY, APRIL 25, 2016

Such questions rarely get clarified:
In this morning's New York Times, Monica Davey discusses last week's criminal charges concerning events in Flint. To read her report, click here.

Charges were filed against three public workers. In this passage, she describes the charges which have been lodged against two "state water regulators:"
DAVEY (4/25/16): Charges against Mr. Prysby, 53, and Mr. Busch, 40, include misconduct in office, accusing them of knowingly misleading federal and county officials about whether the water was safe, as well as conspiring to tamper with evidence and tampering with reports on lead.

The pair also are charged with failing to require the city of Flint to add chemicals to its new water supply to prevent lead from leaching from service lines, which is standard protocol for dealing with aged water systems; with improperly manipulating water-testing samples by directing residents to “pre-flush” their taps, which would decrease lead levels; and with failing to collect enough samples from homes that were known to have lead service lines.

[...]

In February 2015, Mr. Busch told a concerned Environmental Protection Agency official, who was asking about some high lead findings, that Flint was indeed using chemicals to prevent leaching from the pipes, a process known as corrosion control, though the state now acknowledges that no such controls were in place at the time.
The highlighted passages describe a key failing here. When the city of Flint switched to the Flint River as its (temporary) water supply, it failed to "us[e] chemicals to prevent leaching from the pipes, a process known as corrosion control."

According to the basic theory of the case, this failure to use standard "corrosion control" explains the subsequent high levels of lead in the city's water.

According to these criminal charges, Prysby and Busch failed to require the city to employ standard corrosion control when the city's water supply was switched. Later, according to these charges, Busch falsely told the EPA that corrosion control was being used.

By now, everyone seems to agree that this basic breakdown occurred. The failure to employ standard corrosion control led to high levels of lead in the city's water.

This leaves a basic question unanswered. Was anything essentially wrong with the decision to use the Flint River as a temporary water source? If standard corrosion control had been employed, would a problem have arisen?

This is a very basic question about what happened in Flint. As usual, this basic question has typically gone unaddressed in reporting about this matter.

Was anything essentially wrong with the decision to use the Flint River? On the Maddow Show last week, Rachel Maddow and Curt Guyette were trying to determine responsibility for the decision to use the river as Flint's water supply. Parts of Davey's report today turn on the same question.

Who made the decision to use the Flint River? The answer remains unclear. That said, we've never seen anyone ask the more fundamental question:

If corrosion control had been used, would a problem have arisen? Was anything fundamentally wrong with the decision to use the Flint River?

This is a very basic question—but so what? The way our broken discourse works, even the most fundamental questions rarely get identified, let alone answered.

That said, here's our question for Professor Marc Edwards, who actually knows what he's talking about concerning such basic matters:

If standard corrosion control had been used, would a problem have arisen? Was anything essentially wrong with the decision to use the Flint River?

Maddow seems immune to the logic of this question, but that should come as no surprise. Basically, she's been sketching a cartoon about Flint from the day this story started.

Davey also seemed a bit muddled concerning this point in this morning's Times. That said, this is the way our discourse typically works as our journalistic culture keeps sliding into the sea.

Increasingly, this is the way our discourse works: If it weren't for the lack of clarity, we'd have no clarity at all!

13 comments:

  1. As I wait for ESPN103.3 Dallas' interview with George W. Bush, any updates on Lamar Odom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quit reading Salon some time ago when the Sandanista Worms took over the place.

      Delete
  2. Awhile back a guest on Ian Masters' Background Briefing stated that prior, GM had requested and been granted a switch from the Flint River as the water source for one of it's few remaining Detroit area facilities because the water, used on machined metal, was corroding cast engine parts to the point of ruin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad Bob doesn't read the comments. Otherwise I could answer his questions. Lead pipes form a passivated coating is the presence of water that flows through in the normal PH range of lake water. The passivated coating prevents the lead from leeching out into the water. This is how it has worked since the Roman times. The Flint river, unfortunately, has alkaline water (high PH) which eventually ate away the passivated coating and exposed people to the lead which began to leech out.

    The person behind the decision to switch to the Flint river supply is kept hush because it was made by a black city manager, Darnell Early -- representing a heavily racialized district that votes based on race, in an effort to save money. The instructions to look for ways to save money were made by a white governor so he is the one who receives the entirety of blame from the regressive left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave the Guitar PlayerApril 27, 2016 at 12:06 PM

      You left out an important fact. Mr. Early was appointed by the governor as an "emergency" manager who was authorized to make such decisions without the consent of the rest of the city government (elected by the citizens). So, the switch to Flint River water was in no way the choice of the citizens of Flint and entirely the responsibility of the governor (white or otherwise). This is not a left or right issue.

      Delete
  4. Yes. The move to Flint River water was done to financially hurt the Detroit Water and Sewerage Department, so in order to gain support for the privatization of MI water delivery.

    Snyder swore to run the State of MI like a business. Making the residents of the state his shareholders. The State of MI didn't harm the shareholders. Governor Snyder harmed the shareholders. Therefore he, and not the State, should be held personally responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband broke up with me last week, i was so frustrated and i could not know what next to do again, i love my husband so much but he was cheating on me with another woman and this makes him broke up with me so that he can be able to get marry to the other lady and this lady i think use witchcraft on my husband to make him hate me and my kids and this was so critical and uncalled-for,I cry all day and night for God to send me a helper to get back my man until i went to NY to see a friend and who was having the same problem with me but she latter got her Husband back and i asked her how she was able to get her husband back and she told me that their was a powerful spell caster in Africa name Dr.Unity that he help with love spell in getting back lost lover back and i decided to contacted the same Dr.Unity and he told me what is needed to be done for me to have my man back and i did it although i doubted it but i did it and the Dr told me that i will get the result after 48hours, and he told me that my husband was going to call me by 9pm in my time and i still doubted his word, to my surprise my husband really called me and told me that he miss me so much, Oh My God i was so happy, and today i am happy with my man again and we are joyfully living together as one good family and i thank the powerful spell caster Dr.Unity of Unityspelltemple@gmail.com , he is so powerful and i decided to share my story on the internet that good spell casters still exist and Dr.Unity is one of the good spell caster who i will always pray to live long to help his children in the time of trouble, if you are there and your lover is turning you down, or you have your husband moved to another woman, do not cry anymore contact the powerful spell caster Dr.Unity on his email: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com .if you have any problem contact Dr.Unity, i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you. Thank you sooooo much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never believed in spell casting, but After 6 years of dating, I still imagine how Dr Aza brought my ex lover back to me in just 24 hour. No one could have ever made me believe that there is a real spell caster that really work. am sandra by name,I want to quickly tell the world that there is a real on line spell caster that is powerful and genuine, His name is Dr Aza, He helped me recently to reunite my relationship when my ex lover who left me, When i contacted Dr Aza he cast a love spell for me and my ex lover who said he doesn't have anything to do with me again, he called me and started begging me. he is back now with so much love and caring. today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the powers of bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my lover,and the most surprise,is that our love is very strong,every day is happiness and joy. and there is nothing like been with the man you love.i am so happy my love is back to me with the help of Dr.Aza if you have similar problem i will advice you to contact him ,he is there to help you and put a smile on your face. his email: azaspellcaster@gmail.com or you can whats app his line:+2348107155060

    ReplyDelete

  7. MARRIAGE RESTORED!
    my husband asked to pack out of the house with my kids and go because he wasn’t interested in me anymore. He said all the abusive words and said am not a good wife because I wasn’t working, instead I was wasting his money so contacted this Strong Healer a week ago after reading Miracles about his spell over the net I consulted this strong man for a love spell, crying not knowing what to do. he told me that he will cast a return lover spell that same day. It didn’t take time for my husband to call me apologizing and begging me to come home. The tender that i was waiting for was approved and he started telling me that am a good wife so I must forgive him for the bad things he had said. My husband asked me to look for any University of my choice and will take care of my fees. Am thanking drlucasreunitingspell@hotmail.com (link sends e-mail), for the Faith and Trust he showed me his website:http://lucasreunitingexspell.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You could advertise your business by adding as numerous facebook likes as you can, as people constantly look for brand names as well as products that have whole lot of sort on facebook. buy usa likes

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the most wonderful thing i have ever experienced. I visited here online on the 17 June and i saw a marvelous testimony of Tracie Adana from United States on the forum about the good works DR.tunde I never believed it, because have never heard anything about such miracle before. No body would have been able to convince me about it not until DR.tunde did a marvelous work for me that restored my marriage of 4 years by getting back my husband back i just as i read on the internet. I'm Carolina peter I was truly shocked when my husband knelt down pleading for forgiveness to accept him back. I am really short of words to use to show my appreciation to DR.tunde For his a God sent to me and my entire family for divine restoration of my marriage. Contact him now for any kind of help via Email:babatundesolutioncentre1@gmail.com or you can contact his whats-app mobile line +2348143581382 Also specialize in treating all kinds of illness, HERPES VIRUS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, BRAIN DISEASE, PREGNANCY, DIABETES AND MORE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The post is very nice. I just shared on my Facebook Account.

    ReplyDelete