Public school watch: The way our tribe covers low-income schools!

TUESDAY, APRIL 5, 2016

Our purity may not be helpful:
How does our own flawless tribe cover public school topics?

A recent piece at The Atlantic provides a problematic example. We're going to spend the next few days looking at various aspects of this achingly pure piece of work.

Atlantic's report was written by Emily DeRuy, a youngish reporter who doesn't have an extensive background in public school reporting.

DeRuy graduated from UCSD in 2010; she got a master's in journalism from Stanford two years later. She became an education reporter for The National Journal last July, moved to The Atlantic early this year.

We assume her intentions are thoroughly good. We think her instincts are possibly unhelpful.

In her April 1 piece for The Atlantic, DeRuy is reporting on the latest new study from researchers at Johns Hopkins. Throughout the piece, her instincts are those of the deeply caring white liberal.

These headlines suggest a very familiar thesis, which could of course be justified in the instances under review:
White Teachers Expect Less Than Black Teachers From Black Students
A new study suggests that low expectations from some teachers might engender low performance from students.
Low expectations from some white teachers might be holding black students back?

That's a very familiar thesis. Expressed in that equivocal way, it's almost certainly true.

That said, it's very unclear from DeRuy's report if the new Johns Hopkins study has found a circumstance in which this familiar old supposition really does obtain. In part, that's because of flaws with DeRuy's reporting. In part, it's because of the very shaky press release for the study, to which she provides this link.

Did this study uncover a circumstance in which white teachers, through their low expectations, were holding black students back? Unless you want to pay $20, the study itself isn't available. This leaves us with DeRuy's report about the study, and with that very unimpressive press release.

For today, we'll offer a general view. Fairly often, The Atlantic's work on public schools almost tends to be objectionable in a certain familiar old way.

A cynic would say that this magazine's work is designed to make white liberals feel morally pure, rather than to address the needs of actual low-income kids.

Our country is full of beautiful kids who deserve lots of help at school. Does this report address their needs? Or is it aimed at The Atlantic's readership, which may tend to be achingly pure?

We'll spend several days on aspects of DeRuy's report. To our ear, it's well-intentioned but underfed, lazy work.

Fellow superior beings, why not look at the tribe in the mirror this week? If our impression turns out to have merit, what might The Atlantic's report suggest about our own utterly flawless good and pure smart caring liberal tribe?

Full disclosure: According to The Atlantic, DeRuy's report "is part of our Next America: Higher Education project, which is supported by a grant from the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation."

Cynics, we're just saying! There's nothing to look at here!

14 comments:

  1. Full Disclosure

    This post was written by Bob Somerby, and oldish white man who once taught predominately black children as a way of avoiding conscritpion into military service during an unpopular war.

    Mr. Somerby was able to obtain a teaching position despite no academic training in the field nor cultural experience with non-white populations. He left the education field while still youngish.

    Research does not uncover any involvement by Bob Somerby in any academic, professional, or journalisitic endeavor involving education other than his own vanity blog in at least a third of a century.

    Cynics, we're just saying! There's plenty to look at here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your obsession is deeper, and more hostile, than Somerby's with Maddow.

      Oh, and far less interesting, funny, literate, researched, humane, understanding, useful, poetic, scholarly, metaphoric, historical, constructive, or educational.

      But you are more repetitive, which is quite impressive.

      Could you work on those other things? Because it seems like you won't go away, and I don't think you want to be shown, day after day, to be so below the bar set by the person you so despise.

      Delete
  2. "A cynic would say that this magazine's work is designed to make white liberals feel morally pure, rather than to address the needs of actual low-income kids."

    A cynic would say that? And would this cynic perhaps have a name? And might that name rhyme with Rob Romerby?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Drum helpfully finds the study online. Just click here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But Drum didn't mention a thing about the horrible job the Atlantic and our tribe did covering the study.

      Delete
    2. Drum has proven that this Somerby claim is false: the study on which then Atlantic article is based is hidden behind a $ 20 pay wall.

      Now that this canard has been revealed, and the study is there for all to review, does anyone think Bob Somerby will spend "next few days looking at various aspects of this achingly pure piece of work."

      Delete
  4. "Our party". I assume BS is referring to the GOP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite the headline from Somerby, the Atlantic article was not about low income schools.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I have been married for about 7 yrs now. We were happily married with two kids, a boy and a girl. 3 months ago, I started to notice some strange behavior from him and a few weeks later I found out that my husband is seeing someone. He started coming home late from work, he hardly care about me or the kids anymore, Sometimes he goes out and doesn't even come back home for about 2-3 days. I did all I could to rectify this problem but all to no avail. I became very worried and needed help. As I was browsing through the internet one day, I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he did a spell for me. Three days later, my husband came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my family are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity . If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. This is his E-mail: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com .

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a fake political system run by a fake president based on fake journalism supported by fake science. This commentary is redundant, I already know this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You left out our intellectual culture is melting. That said, few can see it.

      Delete
  8. My life became devastated when my husband sent me packing, after 8 years that we have been together. I was lost and helpless after trying so many ways to make my husband take me back. One day at work, i was absent minded not knowing that my boss was calling me, so he sat and asked me what its was all about i told him and he smiled and said that it was not a problem. I never understand what he meant by it wasn't a problem getting my husband back, he said he used a spell to get his wife back when she left him for another man and now they are together till date and at first i was shocked hearing such thing from my boss. He gave me an email address of the great spell caster who helped him get his wife back, i never believed this would work but i had no choice that to get in contact with the spell caster which i did, and he requested for my information and that of my husband to enable him cast the spell and i sent him the details, but after two days, my mom called me that my husband came pleading that he wants me back, i never believed it because it was just like a dream and i had to rush down to my mothers place and to my greatest surprise, my husband was kneeling before me pleading for forgiveness that he wants me and the kid back home, then i gave Happy a call regarding sudden change of my husband and he made it clear to me that my husband will love me till the end of the world, that he will never leave my sight. Now me and my husband is back together again and has started doing pleasant things he hasn't done before, he makes me happy and do what he is suppose to do as a man without nagging. Please if you need help of any kind, kindly contact Happy for help and you can reach him via email: happylovespell2@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi friends! i want to share a live testimony on how Dr Ewan was able to bring my husband back to me, myself and my husband were on a serious breakup, even before then we were always quarreling fighting and doing different ungodly My husband packed his things out of the house and we had to live in different area, despite all this i was looking for a way to re_unite with my husband, not until i met Dr Ewan the great spell caster who was able to bring my husband back home, and he assured me that my husband will come back to me within 48hours hours after he has finish the preparation of the love am very glade today to tell the world that Doctor Ewan is truly a man of his word because my husband came back to me and we settled our differences my family is back again and we are happy living fine and healthy, with Dr Ewan all my dream came through in re_uniting my marriage, friends in case you need the help of Dr Ewan kindly mail him on( covenantsolutiontemple@gmail.com) or call him on +2347052958531, Sir i will forever recommend you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my God, I would like to share a testimony of the great work Dr. Madu has been doing for my family and Friends, For I will always be grateful to Him for his good works. He helped me with a spell that brought back my broken relationship and also i was able to have a baby after so many miscarriages. So my advice to anyone out there having problems with Child bearing , Love trauma , financial difficulties and so many more , You could Contact him Whatsapp Number: +2348107547068 for his nice spell / Herbal works.

    ReplyDelete