BREAKING: Japanese breasts and Hawkeye hookups!

TUESDAY, MAY 1, 2018

Chozick's hymen repair:
Long ago and far away, the Wall Street Journal assigned Amy Chozick to cover the Clinton campaign, starting with the Iowa caucus.

It was October 2007. Chozick, 28 at the time, didn't know what a caucus was, or at least so she says. More remarkably, she says the name Barack Obama "sounded only vaguely familiar."

In her new book, Chasing Hillary, she claims that she actually stood and applauded when Candidate Clinton came on stage at the first town hall she covered. A reporter for the Chicago Tribune dragged her back into her seat.

We're not entirely sure that we entirely believe any of those assertions. As part of the weirdness of modern pundit culture, certain pundits—especially female pundits, for some reason—like to engage in a strange type of self-denigration in which they seem to say they're Just Like Us in their emotional haplessness and their general incomprehension.

The norms of competence are out! That may explain one part of Chozick's reply to Isaac Chotiner's first question in his recent interview with Chozick for Slate:
CHOTINER (4/27/18): When did you first start reporting on Hillary Clinton?

CHOZICK: I had been a foreign correspondent in Japan for the Wall Street Journal when my editor there became Washington bureau chief—this was 2007—and he said, “How would you like to go to Iowa and cover Hillary Clinton?” I was 28. I went to Iowa. I was having as much culture shock going there as I had when I moved to Tokyo. I thought, “Oh my God, Americans are huge.” I didn’t know what a caucus was, which I admitted to Hillary Clinton’s aides a couple years later, and they said, “That’s OK. We didn’t know what a caucus was either in 2008.”
Did Chozick, "having culture shock," actually think, "Oh my God, Americans are huge?" For the record, she didn't go from Tokyo straight to Des Moines. According to her book, she was already back in New York, "nesting" with her future husband, when she accepted the unexpected offer/assignment to cover the Clinton campaign.

In her exchange with Chotiner, it sounds like she actually thought that Iowans were huge—that this was part of the "culture shock" she experienced "going there." But why would a journalist say such a thing at the very start of an interview? We don't know, but it's par for the course with this self-involved self-promoter, who rolls her eyes at various aspects of Hawkeye life in her new, revealing book.

In her book, she doesn't say that Iowans are too fat (or at least we can't find such a statement). She does say their metropolitan areas are perhaps laughably small, and that they don't have enough good restaurants. She also says this:
When everyone gushed about how nice Iowans are, I caught up with a Des Moines alt-rock band that had gained local fame for venting about out-of-state media and political elites in a musical number called "Get Outta Our Town (Caucus Lament)."
The anecdote goes on from there; maybe they were the ones who were huge! At any rate, when she arrived in Iowa, Chozick says she experienced culture shock—and she says she was almost completely clueless about American politics, which she'd been assigned to cover for one of our most important newspapers.

Chotiner seemed to think that was strange. In his, his second Q-and-A with Chozick, it seems to us that Chozick's perspective gets substantially stranger:
CHOTINER (continuing directly): Do you think it’s weird that newspapers send people to cover the Iowa election without knowing what a caucus is, or is that par for the course of how reporting works?

CHOZICK: Actually, I don’t think that’s par for the course. I think that was an exception and I think it was a good one because I went to Japan without knowing anything about Japan. My editor’s idea was that fresh eyes would find new angles and new perspectives—things that either Japanese reporters or reporters who had lived there for decades didn’t think were strange. I thought it was a story and was interesting to readers. And I think it was the same thing getting to Iowa—I noticed things that I think when you cover politics and that’s all you cover—for instance, I wrote a Page 1 feature about campaign hookups. This is something that, if you have covered campaigns, of course people hook up, and that’s just a normal thing, but for me it was an interesting thing to see. Secret Service and reporters and all kinds of hookups. So I don’t know. I think you find stories with fresh perspectives and there can be a danger in the opposite way when you start getting too cynical and things just don’t start seeming like stories, and things don’t seem exciting anymore. It’s like, “Yep, this is my fourth caucus, and I know everybody and know everything and I am writing just to impress my friends.”
According to Chozick, her editor thought her cluelessness would let her find new angles and new perspectives when she arrived on the political scene in the Hawkeye State. After all, the formula worked in Japan!

Sure enough, she says it worked in Iowa too! She says her fresh eyes allowed her to write a "page 1 feature about campaign hookups," apparently involving Secret Service agents and reporters both! Thanks to Chozick's fresh eyes, she was able to bring that news about the campaign to the American public.

There actually was such a Journal report; you can actually read it here. For what it's worth, it's the sort of who-gives-a-sh*t, nonpolitical report in which she seemed to specialize at that particular time.

In her book, Chozick gives an example of the new angles and new perspective her fresh eyes let her report from Japan. This is the fuller paragraph in which she lets us know that she had barely heard of Barack Obama when the Wall Street Journal sent her off to Iowa to cover a White House campaign:
CHOZICK (page 51): Unlike most campaign reporters who descended on Des Moines each presidential cycle and for all the steak fries and state fairs in between, I'd spent the prior couple of years covering Japan's consumer culture. I wrote a front-page story about how Westernized diets were causing young Japanese women to have larger breasts (headline: DEVELOPING NATION). In 2007, as my competitors were meeting campaign sources at Centro, Des Moines' hottest restaurant (though there wasn't a lot of competition), I was clubbing in Shinjuku with Ken-san, a Japanese deejay friend who went by the stage name Intelligent Milli Vanilli, a phonetic challenge for the Japanese. I didn't know who ran John Kerry's 2004 campaign. I'd never heard of Politico or its Playbook. The name Barack Obama sounded only vaguely familiar...
DEVELOPING NATION! Eleven years later, so cool!

The name Obama was barely familiar, but before she wrote the report about hookups, she wrote the report about Japanese women's larger breasts. And before she ever went to Japan, her fresh eyes let her compose this other front-page report:
CHOZICK (pages 45-46): I wrote half a dozen A-heds—the Journal's term for the quirky middle column that runs daily on the front page. One was about women undergoing surgery to reconstruct their hymens so they appear to be virgins again, a story I'd come across browsing the ads in the back of Hoy, the Spanish-language newspaper...(An editor proposed the headline ONE NIGHT STRAND; we went with VIRGIN TERRITORY).
Ohourgod! ONE NIGHT STRAND would have been so much better!

It wasn't just the campaign hookups. It was also the larger breasts in Japan and Gotham's rebuilt hymens. In these ways, we start to get a look at the cultural horizons of people like Chozick and the editors who loved them as of 2007, at the start of a White House campaign.

(We aren't cherry-picking from Chozick's book. These are the reports and the topics she cites.)

In these glimpses, we get a look at how a person who says she'd barely heard of Barack Obama got sent to Iowa to cover a White House campaign. We may also gain a perspective on that lengthy second answer to Chotiner, in which Chozick expresses a weird, but highly familiar, idea about modern political reporting.

In that second answer to Chotiner, Chozick seems to roll her eyes at the idea that political reporters should have political expertise or even political knowledge. Let's rejoin her statement here, as she talks about the way her fresh eyes let her spot all those Hawkeye hookups:
CHOZICK: ...for instance, I wrote a Page 1 feature about campaign hookups. This is something that, if you have covered campaigns, of course people hook up, and that’s just a normal thing, but for me it was an interesting thing to see. Secret Service and reporters and all kinds of hookups. So I don’t know. I think you find stories with fresh perspectives, and there can be a danger in the opposite way, when you start getting too cynical and things just don’t start seeming like stories, and things don’t seem exciting any more. It’s like, “Yep, this is my fourth caucus, and I know everybody and know everything and I am writing just to impress my friends.”
Because it was her first caucus, she stood and applauded when Clinton took the stage in her race against Whatshisname—and she noticed the hookups. To Chozick, the danger comes when you've already done three campaigns, and you start acting like you know everything and you're just trying to impress your friends—when those campaign hookups just "don't seem exciting any more."

To us, that sounds like a strange but highly familiar perspective. The strangeness only deepens as a person plows through this unintentionally revealing book—a revealing book about our nation's deeply fatuous, now disastrous journalistic culture.

Tomorrow: Her boss at the New York Times

15 comments:

  1. In the Alfred Hitchcock movie, Foreign Correspondent, the head of a news organ sends a crime reporter to cover European news just before the beginning of WW2. He says someone with a crime background might have a different perspective than a foreign policy expert.

    But, the Times improved on this idea. Rather than send someone with the wrong expertise, they sent someone with no expertise at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Rather than send someone with the wrong expertise, they sent someone with no expertise at all."

      Why, in the name of Trump's cabinet, would you have a problem with that?

      Delete
  2. It's not their fault. They were raised by TVs. They weren't raised to think critically. They're just doing the best with what they have to work with. The results speak for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, except for the "raised by TVs" bit. You can find all kinds of shit on TV these days. This is just the normal decadent, most likely haute bourgeois environment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello…friends.Greetings to you all, i am here today on this forum giving a
    life testimony on how I was cured from HEPATITIS
    B
    while this may sound discouraging and people may not be-live that HIV CURE
    has be found, while i was once an HEPATITIS B i live with this disease for
    more than years now, i have been to so many places for help including
    hospitals wasted money and times hoping that i was going to get cure but
    nor was able, until God use someone to cure me from this disease HEPATITIS B true the help of a man called Dr udo with his herbal root herbs medicine. while
    i don’t have much to say but to give thanks and praise to God almighty who
    use Dr Udo to extend my life for what you have done for me DR, i will
    not stop thanking you because you put a smile on my face again. thanks once
    again if you are into similar problem or with any kind of diseases you can
    contact Sir Dr Udo on his mail udosolutiontemple@gmail.com or call him on
    +2348151972510 or whatsapp and i will not stop thanking you DR Udo. for what you have done for me in my life, i will keep posting to the world for them to no
    that you are in existence, thanks for your audience and i hope you find
    help like i did for what he has done for me, if you are into similar
    problem like...
    1. HIV / AIDS
    2. HERPES A&B
    3. SPINE DISORDER
    4. CANCER
    5. HEPATITIS AB&C
    6. DIABETES
    Email via;udosolutiontemple@gmail.com or whatsapp him on this +2348151972510 God bless you Sir

    ReplyDelete
  5. 'After being in relationship with Wilson for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that don't believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I meant a spell caster called Dr Zuma zuk and I email him, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened, that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him, that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem and who is different from all the fake ones out there. Anybody could need the help of the spell caster, his email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com or call Whatsapp him +2349055637784 you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or anything. CONTACT HIM NOW FOR SOLUTION TO ALL YOUR PROBLEMS'

    ReplyDelete
  6. DO NOT KEEP YOUR FINANCIAL BURDEN TO YOURSELF CONTACT US NOW FOR ANY KIND OF LOAN AT A LOW INTEREST OF 2%.( prosperloanfirm@yahoo.com )

    Our loans are well insured for maximum security is our priority, Our leading goal is to help you get the service you deserve, Our Loan program is the quickest. We give out loan in any currency of your choice {Us Dollar, pounds, Euro, Dinar, etc} and duration of 1 to 60 years to pay back the loan (secure and unsecured).

    Do you need any kind of loan and have low credit score, Have you find it difficult to get loans
    from local banks and other financial institutions? solution to your financial problem is PROSPER LOAN FIRM. The terms and conditions are very reasonable and considerate.

    We offer a wide range of financial services which includes: Xmas Loans, Business Loans, Debt Consolidation Loans, Personal Loans, Car loans, Hotel loans, Student loans, Home Refinancing Loans with low interest rate @2% per annul for individuals, companies and corporate bodies.

    Interested applicants should Contact us via email: prosperloanfirm@yahoo.com OR call/text +1(816) 366-8769 . Apply and be free from financial bondage.

    ReplyDelete

  7. I'm 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2002. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr TEBE have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. As of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol Via drtebe2@gmail.com or +2348140544262 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr TEBE he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via drtebe2@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348140544262you will be lucky as i am today

    ReplyDelete

  8. I'm 40 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2002. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr TEBE have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. As of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol Via drtebe2@gmail.com or +2348140544262 and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots by a herbalist Dr call Dr TEBE he is so kind and truthful with his herbal treatment, kindly contact him for more information Via drtebe2@gmail.com or WhatsApp DR on +2348140544262you will be lucky as i am today

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was diagnosed of hepatitis in 2016, I have tried all possible means to get cure but all my effort proved abortive, until a friend of mine introduced me to a herbal doctor from Africa, who prepare herbal medicine to cure all kind of diseases including hepatitis b virus (Hepatitis), when i contacted this herbal doctor via his email: dr.okhadigboherbalhome@gmail.com , he sent me hepatitis b herbal medicine via courier service, when i received the herbal medicine he gave me step by step instructions on how to apply it, when i applied it as instructed i was totally cured from the virus within 14 days of usage. Contact this great herbal doctor via dr.okhadigboherbalhome@gmail.com or call him on his phone number +2348159921615

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES DISEASE
    I\'m here to testify about what DR. OGIEMWONYI did for me. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the past 5 years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came across a testimony of one lady on the internet testifying about a Man called DR. OGIEMWONYI on how he cured her from herpes disease. And she also gave the email address of this man and advise anybody to contact him for help for any kind of sickness that he would be of help, so I emailed him telling him about my (HERPES) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! Well i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as DR. OGIEMWONYI assured me that i will be cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have be finally healed behold it was TRUE, the test came out negative. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can contact DR. OGIEMWONYI for help via email} drogiemwonyisolutionhomehome@gmail.com/ Or CALL/WHATAPPS him through his mobile} +2347014784614

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Every One Out Here

    I'm from United States North Bergen(US). I read some testimony about Dr. Iyaryi on how he has helped people in bringing back there ex within 48 hours i was just thinking if that was real,And decided to call a lady who made a testimony and also dropped her number,So i called her and ask her about Dr. Iyaryi she said Dr. Iyaryi is a trustworthy man and he his ready to bring back my lover for me,i was just so happy and a little bit relief that my lover will be back to me soon,Then i decided in contacting Dr. Iyaryi which i did,And before i could share him my problem he has already told me what i came for,And he said everything will be okay within 48 hours that my lover will be back to my arms,So he said he would be casting the spell and that within 48 hours my lover would call me,So i hoped so truly before the 48 hours i got a call from a man who has left me for the past 6 years saying he is sorry and he wants me back,i was happy and i said i also want him back,Then i traveled to Canada to meet him up,And he apologized for what he has done to me now he proposed to marry me and we are both preparing for our wedding soon, All thanks to the great and World best spell caster, Dr. Iyaryi His private mail driayaryi2012@hotmail.com. And also Reach him on WhatsApp Number: +2349057915709 Thanks Dr. IyaryI

    ReplyDelete
  12. God bless Dr. ozman for his marvelous work in my life, I was diagnosed of HIV since 2010 and I was taking my medications, I wasn’t satisfied i needed to get the HIV. out of my system, I searched about some possible cure for HIV i saw a comment about Dr. ozman, how he cured HIV with his herbal medicine, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked for solutions, he started the remedy for my health, he sent me the medicine through UPS SPEED POST. I took the medicine as prescribed by him and 8 days later i was cured from HIV,thank you dr.ozmanspellhome@gmail.com Dr ozman ONCE AGAIN THANK YOU SIR contact him whatsapp number +2349061515609
    1 cancer cure
    2 HPV cure
    3 ringing ear
    4 herpes cure
    5 fabriod
    6 HPV cure
    7 diabetes cure

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having Herpes is a Terrible Experience and my Experience will help some hsv patients beware of Herbs from online doc.I was positive to the deadly virus called HERPES and i lost hope because i was out casted and rejected even by my closet friends.i searched on-line to know and enquirer about cure for HERPES and i read someone testimony on how he was cured from HSV-2 so i decided to contactthe same herbalist Call Dr uche because i know that nature has the power to heal everything.i contacted him to know how he can help me and he told me never to worrythat he will help me with the natural herbs from God!after 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure has been ready and he sent it to me via UPS SPEED POST and it got to me after 3 days! i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i wascured! its really like a dream but i am so happy!that the reason i decided to also add more comment of Him so that more can be saved just like me!and if you need his help, you can email him for help with the following diseases HIV/AIDS, COPD, CANCER, HPV WARTS on:: drucheherbalmedicine@gmail.com whatsapp +2348050777527

    ReplyDelete
  14. powerful herbal healer called Dr. voodoo who use his natural herbs to cure
    my HIV disease I suffered from 5years, but now I am a happy woman and i am
    free from this disease that has been problem to my living, after using Dr.
    voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i was diagnose negative, I will
    recommend Dr. voodoo to everyone reading this article because this herbal
    healer is capable to heal anything below.

    1. Diabetes
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. Lymphoma disease
    5. Conceived a child
    6. Fibroid

    Email Dr voodoo at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com add Dr. voodoo on
    whatsApp: +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete