Post editors spot a nothing-burger!

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 13, 2016

They may have had Chozick in mind:
On Tuesday morning, the Washington Post wrote a sensible editorial.

Like Kevin Drum before them, the editors said those WikiLeaks excerpts from Candidate Clinton's paid speeches were just a big nothing-burger. The editors criticized Clinton for refusing to release the transcripts of the speeches. But they said the dozen excerpts which were hacked from a John Podesta email were just a big pile of piddle.

At the end of their editorial, the editors described an increasingly familiar process. They explained how nothing-burgers of this type are turned into phony scandals:
WASHINGTON POST EDITORIAL (10/11/16): ...Then there’s her much-maligned view that “you need both a public and a private position,” which is playing as a confession of two-facedness but is actually a clumsy formulation of obvious truth: Nothing gets done in politics unless legislators can deliberate and negotiate candidly, outside the glare of publicity.

This whole episode illustrates that point. Ms. Clinton kept the speeches under wraps out of fear that they would be distorted for political purposes by her populist foes. Alas, that fear was amply justified in this populistic, polarized environment, as the manufactured uproar over their release proves. The fact that Ms. Clinton’s eminently reasonable and open-minded words regarding the issues and her opponents are being treated as scandalous is the real scandal.
The editors said that Clinton should have released the transcripts of her speeches. But at the end of their editorial, they made an obvious point. Given the way our discourse now works, any document, transcript or text will be demagogued loudly and dumbly.

For what it's worth, the Clintons surely came to this realization many years ago.

The editors criticized the "manufactured uproar" over those bland speech excerpts. According to the editors, Clinton's "eminently reasonable" remarks were being "treated as scandalous" when they actually weren't.

The editors were too polite to say what follows, so we'll say it for them. That is exactly the way Amy Chozick treated those excerpts in her New York Times news report about the leaked speech excerpts.

Let's consider one of the dozen excerpts from Clinton's paid speeches. Chozick gave this particular excerpt substantial play in her news report. Here's the excerpt in question, reproduced in its entirety:
CLINTON (2/4/14): And I am not taking a position on any policy, but I do think there is a growing sense of anxiety and even anger in the country over the feeling that the game is rigged. And I never had that feeling when I was growing up. Never. I mean, were there really rich people, of course there were. My father loved to complain about big business and big government, but we had a solid middle class upbringing. We had good public schools. We had accessible health care. We had our little, you know, one-family house that, you know, he saved up his money, didn't believe in mortgages. So I lived that. And now, obviously, I'm kind of far removed because the life I've lived and the economic, you know, fortunes that my husband and I now enjoy, but I haven't forgotten it.
That's the total excerpt. It's been pulled out of its larger context in Clinton's speech, whatever that larger context may have been. For that reason, Clinton's overall meaning in this excerpt isn't entirely clear.

That said, Clinton seems to be saying this:

There is a growing sense among many people that the game is rigged. During her own middle-class upbringing, she never had that feeling. When she was growing up, middle-class families had health care and access to good schools; they could afford to own their own homes. Today, Clinton is much wealthier, but she hasn't forgotten what middle-class life was like.

Can any sensible person explain why that statement would be objectionable? Presumably, no—but Amy Chozick knew how to make it seem that way.

In fact, Chozick behaved in exactly the way the editors describe. Here she is, in paragraph 4, referring to that particular excerpt and doctoring it a bit:
CHOZICK (10/8/16): In the excerpts from her paid speeches to financial institutions and corporate audiences, Mrs. Clinton said she dreamed of ''open trade and open borders'' throughout the Western Hemisphere. Citing the back-room deal-making and arm-twisting used by Abraham Lincoln, she mused on the necessity of having ''both a public and a private position'' on politically contentious issues. Reflecting in 2014 on the rage against political and economic elites that swept the country after the 2008 financial crash, Mrs. Clinton acknowledged that her family's rising wealth had made her ''kind of far removed'' from the struggles of the middle class.
Clinton said she hasn't forgotten the nature of life in the middle class. By dropping that part of her statement, Chozick seems to reverse the general thrust of that excerpt.

By saying that she hasn't forgotten the world in which she grew up, Clinton seemed to be sympathizing who those now feel the system is rigged against them. But Chozick omitted the part of the statement which seemed to convey that sympathy. In Chozick's account, Clinton simply said that she's "kind of far removed" from middle-class struggles. Full stop!

That isn't what Clinton said. Later, it became clear that Chozick always knew that:
CHOZICK: Such comments could have proven devastating to Mrs. Clinton during the Democratic primary fight, when Mr. Sanders promoted himself as the enemy of Wall Street and of a rigged economic system.

Several of the most eye-popping passages ultimately express more nuanced explanations of her views. When Mrs. Clinton describes herself as ''far removed'' from average Americans and their finances, she had just finished describing her growing appreciation for how ''anxiety and even anger in the country over the feeling that the game is rigged.'' And she reminds the audience that her father ''loved to complain about big business and big government.''
Even here, Chozick avoids the apparent meaning of Clinton's statement that she "hasn't forgotten." Even after taking two bites of the apple, Chozick never reports that part of Clinton's statement. And by the way, riddle us this:

If Clinton "described her growing appreciation for how 'anxiety and even anger in the country over the feeling that the game is rigged,'" in what way was this excerpt an "eye-popping passage?" Why would such a statement "have proven devastating" to her primary campaign?

The answer is obvious. That statement is "eye-popping" and potentially "devastating" only if you send it through the manufactured scandal machine, as the editors at the Post described. In that way, hacks like Chozick keep producing "manufactured uproars." They do it by doctoring nothing-burgers to make it sound like they're "scandalous."

Chozick subjected several of Clinton's remarks to this phony treatment. She makes it sound, at two separate points, like Clinton endorsed specific parts of the Simpson-Bowles plan—parts of the plan she plainly didn't endorse.

In the relevant excerpt, Clinton spoke well of the "framework" of the plan, not of its particular planks. Chozick manufactured outrage by blurring this very basic distinction—not just once, but at two separate points in her crappy report.

Chozick is easily the most horrible new upper-end journalist of the past several years. That said, her work is typical of the New York Times' approach to domestic politics in this, the age which has followed the era of "Creeping Dowdism."

The editors didn't cite Chozick by name. They described her work to a T.

17 comments:

  1. Chozick will go down joining the ranks of Ceci, Kit, MoDo, Tweety, Pumpkin Head and others who failed the nation some 17 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's plenty of blame to go around for the lead up to Chozick and Trump.

      Delete
    2. I wake up everyday with a smile on my face and singing praises to this powerful spell caster called Dr,Okaya who has done me a great favor by rescuing my relationship from break up. I used to think that i have a perfect relationship till when my lover started coming home late and everyday he gives me different excuses then i decided to keep a close eye on him then i discovers that he was having an affair with another Woman, I was heart broken because i trusted him so much and knowing that he has a secret relationship, hurts me a lot.. But i thank all those who placed the contact information of Dr,Okaya on the internet because through that i have been able to contact Dr, and today my relationship has been restored with love and more Respect than ever before. If you are in any kind of relationship or marriage stress i will do you a favor by dropping the contact information's of Dr,Okaya which are via email: OKAYASPELLHELP@GMAIL.COM ... OR call Him on his number +270814506790

      Delete
  2. Dowd. Steve Robert's wife. These people make enough money and their ORGANIZATIONS make enough money to survive this poor work. Where do I sign up? /snark !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going through a Break Up? Divorce? or your boyfriend moved to another Girl? do not cry anymore, contact Dr Unity now. I'm Maria 21 yr old from England, my boyfriend of a 4yr just broke up with me and am 30 weeks pregnant.I have cried my self to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again.Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes ,my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time.Generally he is a very nice guy ,he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along.He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot .After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change.I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with.I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe.He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy,he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy.i was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a spell for me. 28 hours later, my bf came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my bf are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity. If you need a spell caster that can cast a spell that truly works, I suggest you contact him. He will not disappoint you. Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,you can also call him or add him on whats-app: +2348071622464 ,Read more about him on his website:http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOTTERY JACKPOT
      Straight away after Dr Okaya cast the Lottery spell for me, I felt enveloped by the control of the spell. This spell change my life into riches. I am now out of debts and experiencing the most amazing good luck with lottery after i won a huge amount of money. I have more luck now than I ever had in my life. i won 1.300.000 million pounds. Your Lottery spell made wonders, I can't believe it. Thank you so much sir for dedicating your time to cast the Lottery spell for me.”I am eternally grateful for the lottery spell. Dr..Okaya did for me. You can email him for you own lottery number: OKAYASPELLHELP@GMAIL.COM Or Whats App Him on +27814506790

      Delete
  4. How to Win And Stop Your Husband For cheating
    My husband said he stop loving me in January. He loves me but not in love with me. In February I knew he was going to visit his sister and mother. When. He returned from his visit he was acting strange. Like distance. Five days later he asked for a beak from each other. I was surprised but it wasn’t him talking. I had a feeling something was up. April 7 he returned home so we can talk on why this separation. He said met someone and had an affair. I’m trying to figure how when we are together like most of the time. He hasn’t seen her since he told me. Apparently she’s married too in a verbal situation. I been trying to save my marriage. This past Wednesday 4/23 was our wedding anniversary. Today 4/25 he sends me this text after I asked him a financial questions. He replies and asking for a divorce by testing me. He is a cowatd. I text him why and upset and angry. He said I love you and care about you but I am not in love with you. I send him this text I’m fine. I love you, you know where I stand and what I’m willing to do. So I’m honoring your need for time to make a finally decision. I hope in the near future we can talk about this in person. When your ready. He . replies OK. Thank you. And I’m sorry. I adore and love him. The kicker he abandoned our marriage by moving to LA that’s terrible. I been crying almost daily. Not sure what do anymore. ..so i carried and search online one day, if i can save my marriage with my husband and so luckily i come across some wonderful post of Dr happy on how he help people to fix up their broken Marriage,relationship and get ex lover back. so i contacted and give him a try, with-in 48hours of his promise, my husband call to apology and come back to me and the family. all thanks to Dr happy he was like a father to me when i loose trust on my husband plz if you need help, you can reach him via email happylovespell2@gmail.com or add him up on Whats-pp +2348133873774

    ReplyDelete
  5. I’m extremely happy that my broken Marriage has been fixed…
    "We recently made up, even though it was difficult. It's been more than a month now, and everything feels like it’s returned to normal. He has begun to treat me better, and it’s been a healing process for both of us. The nightmare that had lasted for almost 2 years before we broke up is finally over. It’s like we fell in love all over again! We’ve both put the past behind us, and are trying to move forward – and for the first time in a long time, the future looks a lot brighter.
    I can’t express in words how grateful I am Dr Unity! It’s like we’ve finally rediscovered those things about each other that made us fall in love in the first place. All of the worrying and stress has simply vanished. Thank you Dr Unity for saving my broken Marriage and brought my husband back to me!".
    Me and my husband are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity. If you have any problem contact Dr.Unity now and i guarantee you that he will help you.Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,you can also call him or add him on whats-app: +2348071622464.
    Sarah, 26 years, Memphis, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am saying this because when i had issues with my lover i never seen life as a good thing but thanks to Dr. AGBAZARA of AGBAZARA TEMPLE, for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for another woman after 7YEARS of marriage,but Dr.AGBAZARA help me cast a spell that brought him back to me within 48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about myself rather i will only advise those who are having issues in there relationship or marriages to contact Dr.AGBAZARA TEMPLE through these details via; ( agbazara@gmail.com) or call him on Whatsapp: +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I'm here to introduce someone to you all, his name is Dr.Ekpen Temple a spell caster that help me restored my broken relationship, I saw an article on the Internet someone talking about him how he help her in her relationship, today I'm a beneficial of that article, so that is why I'm also talking about how he has helped me so that someone out there that is facing the same challenge can also contact him for help. Here is DR EKPEN TEMPLE contact info: (ekpentemple@gmail.com) or on Whatsapp number 2347050270218.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wake up everyday with a smile on my face and singing praises to this powerful spell caster called Dr,Okaya who has done me a great favor by rescuing my relationship from break up. I used to think that i have a perfect relationship till when my lover started coming home late and everyday he gives me different excuses then i decided to keep a close eye on him then i discovers that he was having an affair with another Woman, I was heart broken because i trusted him so much and knowing that he has a secret relationship, hurts me a lot.. But i thank all those who placed the contact information of Dr,Okaya on the internet because through that i have been able to contact Dr, and today my relationship has been restored with love and more Respect than ever before. If you are in any kind of relationship or marriage stress i will do you a favor by dropping the contact information's of Dr,Okaya which are via email: OKAYASPELLHELP@GMAIL.COM ... OR call Him on his number +270814506790

    ReplyDelete
  9. My wife is back!!! my name is Gakuba Rauzan. I had a problem with my wife six months ago,which lead to us apart. When she broke up with me,i was no longer myself,I felt so empty inside. Until a friend of mine told me about a spell caster that helped in same problem too, that she found on a television program. i emailed the spell caster and I told him my problem and I did what he asked me to briefly make. To cut the long story short,before i knew what was happening,not up to 48 hours,my wife gave me a call and she come back to me and told me she was sorry about what has happened, she now tell me every day she love and miss me. I'm so grateful to this spell caster Dr. Ogudugu and i will not stop publishing his name on the internet just for the good work he has been doing. If you need his help, you can email him at(greatogudugu@gmail.com)and he will also help you. website: greatdrogudugusolutiontemple.webs.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to thank Dr.Agbazara for his job in my family, this is man who left me and the kids for another woman without any good reasons, i was pain and confuse,till one day when i was browsing through the internet with my computer then i saw Dr.Agbazara contact, then i contaced him and he help me cast a reunion spell, since I then the situation has changed, everything is moving well, my husband who left me is now back to his family. reach DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE via email if you have any relationship problem at:

    ( agbazara@gmail.com )
    OR whatsapp or call him on +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello, I'm here to introduce someone to you all, his name is Dr.Ekpen Temple a spell caster that help me restored my broken relationship, I saw an article on the Internet someone talking about him how he help her in her relationship, today I'm a beneficial of that article, so that is why I'm also talking about how he has helped me so that someone out there that is facing the same challenge can also contact him for help. Here is DR EKPEN TEMPLE contact info: ekpentemple@gmail.com or on Whatsapp number +2347050270218.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I want to thank Dr.Agbazara for his job in my family, this is man who left me and the kids for another woman without any good reasons, i was pain and confuse,till one day when i saw Dr.Agbazara contact, then i contacted him and he help me cast a reunion spell that help my situation with 48hours, since I then the situation has changed, everything is moving well, my husband who left me is now back to his family. reach DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE via email if you have any problem at:
    ( agbazara@gmail.com )
    OR whatsapp or call him on +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am Miss alisha,From USA. I will start by saying to all that have experience heart break and also cant do with out there lover should please stop here and read up my story, So as you will know how to go solving or getting your ex back from this spell caster..AND AGAIN I WILL WANT TO ALSO TELL ALL THAT THIS SPELL CASTER I WILL WANT TO TELL THE WHOLE WORLD ABOUT IS HARMLESS AND DO NOT HAVE ANY SIDE EFFECT, BUT TO RESTORE AND GIVE YOU BACK WHAT YOU DESERVE, COS WHEN I MEET WITH THIS SPELL CASTER THAT WAS INTRODUCED TO ME BY THE WIFE OF MY BOSS IN MY WORKING PLACE, HE MADE IT CLEAR THAT HE CAN CAST SPELL ON SO MANY OTHER PROBLEMS EXCEPT IN GETTING YOUR EX OR MAKING YOUR LOVER TO LOVE YOU MORE THAT WILL SUITE YOU. Last year December, My lover was cheating on me and was not also give me the attention that a man should give to a woman,And really that was troubling my mind and tearing my heart apart to the extent that i was not concentrating in the office the way i use to before the break up by my lover.And before that incident,I always see how my boss use to love his wife so much. I was bringing to think that i was not doing the right thing to him that will make him love me forever,So i really gathered my courage and went to my boss wife office to ask her the secret that made her husband love her so dearly,In the first place she refused in telling me,She asked me why i am asking her such a question,That if is it not normal for every man to love his wife.I told her the reason that made me ask her about this question,That my lover started cheating on me lately,When i knelt down before her for her to see my seriousness in this issue that i went to ask her,She opened up to me by telling me that i should not tell anybody about what she want to tell me,The wife to my boss started to say to me that she used a very powerful spell on his husband to love her,And the spell that she used is harmless, But the spell is just to make him love her and never to look for any other woman except her. I QUICKLY ASK HER HOW DID SHE GET TO KNOW THIS GREAT,POWER,DURABLE AND PERFECT WORK SPELL CASTER,she said that a friend of hers also introduce her to him. Then i also ask her how i can meet with this spell caster.SHE SAID EVERYTHING TO ME,THAT THE NAME OF THIS SPELL CASTER IS Dr.AZEN .My next question to her was how can i get this wonderful spell caster,She said she is going to give me the email of the spell caster for me to contact him for my problem,Really she gave to me this spell caster email:[azentemple@gmail.com]or what'sapp +2349038299828. and i contacted him and explained all to him,And after every thing that needed to be done by the spell caster, In the next two days, My lover that hated me so much came to house begging for forgiveness and i was so glad that i have finally gotten my heart desire..I was so grateful to this spell caster for what he has done for my life.. So i made a promise to him that i will always come.

    ReplyDelete

  14. My name is CARISSA WILLIAM, and I base in USA...My life is back!!! After 2 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids . I felt like my life was about to end i almost committed suicide, i was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr AIFEBO , which i met online. On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet,I came across allot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer,and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. i also come across one particular testimony,it was about a woman called Sonia,she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days, and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr AIFEBO e-mail address. After reading all these,I decided to give it a try. I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 24hours, my husband came back to me. We solved our issues, and we are even happier than before Dr AIFEBO, is really a gifted man and i will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man... If you have a problem and you are looking for a real and genuine spell caster to solve all your problems for you. Try High dr. aifabospelltemple@gmail.com
    anytime, he might be the answer to your problems. Here's his contact: dr.aifebospelltemple@gmail.com.
    (1)If you want your ex back.
    (2) if you always have bad dreams.
    (3)You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4)You want women/men to run after you.
    (5)If you want a child.
    6)You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (7)Herbal care
    (8)Marriage Spells.......

    ReplyDelete