What does the Clinton Foundation do?

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 18, 2016

You aren't encouraged to ask:
Coverage of the current campaign has put some traits of the mainstream press corps on vivid display:

Their enduring love of the latest new polls; their headlong flight from matters of substance; their endless desire to sustain the credibility of the Clinton sex accusers; their failure to come to terms with Candidate Trump's endless, repeated misstatements...

That said, we've also been struck by the press corps' approach to the Clinton Foundation. For all the flogging the foundation has received, it's amazing to see the way the corps avoids discussing what it actually does. For all the savaging it has received, it's amazing to see how little attempt has been made to report on its work.

In his latest column, Gene Lyons discusses the snarky treatment the foundation received in a recent book review. The book in question is Joe Conason's Man of the World, an account of Bill Clinton's life since leaving the White House. We discussed that same book review here.

For ourselves, we were intrigued by Lyons' analysis of the press corps' apparent resentment concerning the Clinton Foundation. According to Lyons' analysis, they may be angry because Bill Clinton cares about dying African children and they and their ilk do not:
LYONS (10/12/16): [R]eading a peevish, small-minded Washington Post review of Conason's book by one Carla Anne Robbins, I wondered if the journalistic phenomenon I call "The Clinton Rules" isn't mainly a defensive reaction.

See, if the former president of the United States, aged 70, can devote his time between heart surgeries to exhausting tours of remote African villages
checking on the Clinton Health Access Initiative' progress in saving millions of children from the ravages of HIV/AIDS, then what's your excuse?

Far better to maintain your moral superiority with sniffish references to Monica Lewinsky...
As happenstance would have it, we spoke with Lyons telephonically as he was writing his column. He voiced his reaction to one part of Conason's book—to the part which describes the annual summer trip of Clinton, an older man with a heart condition, to distant outposts in Africa.

Lyons was struck by the fact that an older man with a heart condition would put himself through such exertions. We offered a possible explanation: Maybe he actually cares about dying children in African villages.

For the record, we don't know why Clinton takes those trips. But if you read Conason's book, you can read his description of the trips in 2005, 2006 and 2008.

You can read about the real African children whose real lives were actually saved. In some cases, you can read about their repeat interactions with Clinton when they were a little bit older, after they'd come to understand that their lives had been saved.

By way of contrast, if you read the mainstream press, you'll typically read the one mandated sentence about the good work the Foundation does. After that, you'll read the latest attempt to discern scandalous conduct in its workings.

It's a bit like Reagan's pony. By the basic rules of the game, there must be a scandal in there!

Truthfully, no one cares about African children, certainly not in the press corps. Is it possible that Bill Clinton does?

Conason writes about the way some journalists covered those Clinton trips. He praises the New York Times' Celia Dugger for her lengthy, well-informed, challenging report about the 2006 trip. (Warning! Lengthy, well-informed, challenging news report!)

Without naming her name, he criticizes Anne Kornblut, then of the Washington Post, for her coverage of the trip in 2008. For Kornblut's initial report, click here. For a vintage example of press self-involvement, check this grumbling essay for the Style section about how inconvenient everything was on the endless, exhausting trip.

Let's be fair! We had a tiny interaction with Kornblut in 2004 as she bailed on a Boston comedy event in which she was scheduled to perform. With empathy which impressed even us, we skillfully let Kornblut slide.

In our view, Kornblut is a genuine flesh-and-blood person. That said, everyone who's part of the guild is diminished somewhat by its culture.

Does Bill Clinton care about African children? In our view, scribes don't like to consider that possibility. That said, it's a safe bet that pretty much no one else does!

Undisclosed personage speaks: Who said it? As quoted by Conason:

"I have never met anybody who spent all their time talking about everybody's motives who, at the end of their life, could talk about how many lives they had saved."

13 comments:

  1. My husband and I have been together for almost 7 years, married for almost 4 years. We have a son that just turned 4. We got together and married young, I am 33 and he is 40. Over the years we have had many issues, including infidelity, a 6 month separation, and he said to me he wanted to get a divorce many times. I don’t necessarily have an issue getting over the past, it is his continued present behavior that keeps me wondering if he will ever change, ever mature, or be the husband and father I need him to be. he filed for divorce August 2014, but i refused to sign the papers coz i love him so much. I allowed the case to be dismissed, maybe to see if he will ever change. I have so many doubts and I am not sure which way to turn. I can not invest 100% into this marriage because I was so afraid to be disappointed all over again. I am afraid he has be cheating on me, I love him, but there are definitely no romantic feelings toward him, the feelings that made me fall in love with him in the first place. I felt so comfortable with him in my life, he makes me laugh, he’s playful, caring and attentive, on the other hand he has an anger problem, is negative, can be immature most of the time, argues with me constantly, and I don’t trust him. coz he use to cheat on me, i love my husband so much and also i want to save my marriage from divorce. so i cry to a friend of my, who told me to warp my tears, that there is a solution to my problem. so she introduce to me Dr happy a real spell caster that help to fight, stop marriage divorce and relationship problem also get ex back. so i give him a try and with-in 2day my problem with my husband was solve and ok, me and my husband and family and happily living great all thank to Dr happy you can reach him on happylovespell2@gmail.com or still call and Whats-pp him on +2348133873774 Thanks Sandra Katie from Usa California

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I am Theresa Williams After being in relationship with Anderson for years, he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to my friend and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the spell caster, and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days, that my ex will return to me before three days, he cast the spell and surprisingly in the second day, it was around 4pm. My ex called me, I was so surprised, I answered the call and all he said was that he was so sorry for everything that happened that he wanted me to return to him, that he loves me so much. I was so happy and went to him that was how we started living together happily again. Since then, I have made promise that anybody I know that have a relationship problem, I would be of help to such person by referring him or her to the only real and powerful spell caster who helped me with my own problem. email: drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com you can email him if you need his assistance in your relationship or any other Case.

      1) Love Spells
      2) Lost Love Spells
      3) Divorce Spells
      4) Marriage Spells
      5) Binding Spell.
      6) Breakup Spells
      7) Banish a past Lover
      8.) You want to be promoted in your office
      9) want to satisfy your lover
      Contact this great man if you are having any problem for a lasting solution
      through drogunduspellcaster@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. Carla Anne Robbins has what looks like a good mainstream career without noticeable leanings, but she was a Hoover Media Fellow. Almost all Fellows at the Hoover Institute have right-wing credentials. So snark against the Clintons doesn't seem too surprising -- especially since the combination of mainstream and Hoover is a double whammy. And that would suggest no surprise in her getting the book review assignment at the Washington Post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Truthfully, no one cares about African children, certainly not in the press corps."

    Should they? According to UN projections, the population of Africa is set to reach 4 billion by the end of this century.

    For context it's at about 1.2 billion now, and was around 285 million 50 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How To Get Your Ex Back in 3 Simple Steps
    My husband and I have been together for almost 7 years, married for almost 4 years. We have a son that just turned 4. We got together and married young, I am 33 and he is 40. Over the years we have had many issues, including infidelity, a 6 month separation, and he said to me he wanted to get a divorce many times. I don’t necessarily have an issue getting over the past, it is his continued present behavior that keeps me wondering if he will ever change, ever mature, or be the husband and father I need him to be. he filed for divorce August 2014, but i refused to sign the papers coz i love him so much. I allowed the case to be dismissed, maybe to see if he will ever change. I have so many doubts and I am not sure which way to turn. I can not invest 100% into this marriage because I was so afraid to be disappointed all over again. I am afraid he has be cheating on me, I love him, but there are definitely no romantic feelings toward him, the feelings that made me fall in love with him in the first place. I felt so comfortable with him in my life, he makes me laugh, he’s playful, caring and attentive, on the other hand he has an anger problem, is negative, can be immature most of the time, argues with me constantly, and I don’t trust him. coz he use to cheat on me, i love my husband so much and also i want to save my marriage from divorce. so i cry to a friend of my, who told me to warp my tears, that there is a solution to my problem. so she introduce to me Dr happy a real spell caster that help to fight, stop marriage divorce and relationship problem also get ex back. so i give him a try and with-in 2day my problem with my husband was solve and ok, me and my husband and family and happily living great all thank to Dr happy you can reach him on happylovespell2@gmail.com or still call and Whats-pp him on +2348133873774 Thanks Sandra Katie from Usa California

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strong Love spell to get your ex back fast.
    I’m extremely happy that my broken Marriage has been restored…
    "We recently made up, even though it was difficult. It's been more than a month now, and everything feels like it’s returned to normal. He has begun to treat me better, and it’s been a healing process for both of us. The nightmare that had lasted for almost 2 years before we broke up is finally over. It’s like we fell in love all over again! We’ve both put the past behind us, and are trying to move forward – and for the first time in a long time, the future looks a lot brighter.
    I can’t express in words how grateful I am Dr Unity! It’s like we’ve finally rediscovered those things about each other that made us fall in love in the first place. All of the worrying and stress has simply vanished. Thank you Dr Unity for saving my broken Marriage and brought my husband back to me!".
    Me and my husband are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity. If you have any problem contact Dr.Unity now and i guarantee you that he will help you.Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,you can also call him or add him on whats-app: +2348071622464.
    Sarah, 26 years, Texas, USA.

    ReplyDelete

  6. 12-YEARS BARRENNESS HUMILIATED!

    Hello,I'm Donald and I return all the glory to Priest Oni for the wonderful things he has done in my life and family since i contacted him in 2007,Especially for terminating 12-years Barrenness in my family with a baby boy. My wife and i got married in August 17, 2002 but we had a challenge of the fruit of the womb since then. i contacted him with several challenges notable among which were joblessness,academic problem and childlessness but Priest Oni delivered me one after the other via divine encounters that i had after Priest Oni cast his spell for me and miraculously gave me a job about a month i completed my master's degree,Priest Oni told me specifically that "there would not fail a son to sit on the throne of his father" which i appropriated into my life,knowing fully that Priest Oni is putting and end to that challenge by giving me a son.Priest Oni proved himself faithful and his word by terminating 12-years barrenness and gave us a bouncing baby boy in July 9th 2014. To Priest Oni alone be all the glory! I thank Priest Oni every day for my wonderful and healthy family! do contact Priest Oni now via E-mail: oniherbalmagic@gmail.com OR text and call him on +1(562)-242-0796 and i assure 100% that all your problems will be over.i hope my testimony be a blessing to your life....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, I'm here to introduce someone to you all, his name is Dr.Ekpen Temple a spell caster that help me restored my broken relationship, I saw an article on the Internet someone talking about him how he help her in her relationship, today I'm a beneficial of that article, so that is why I'm also talking about how he has helped me so that someone out there that is facing the same challenge can also contact him for help. Here is DR EKPEN TEMPLE contact info: ekpentemple@gmail.com or on Whatsapp number +2347050270218.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want to thank Dr.Agbazara for his job in my family, this is man who left me and the kids for another woman without any good reasons, i was pain and confuse,till one day when i was browsing through the internet with my computer then i saw Dr.Agbazara contact, then i contaced him and he help me cast a reunion spell, since I then the situation has changed, everything is moving well, my husband who left me is now back to his family. reach DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE via email if you have any relationship problem at:

    ( agbazara@gmail.com )
    OR whatsapp or call him on +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Dr.EZIZA for helping me to unite my relationship just within the period of 48 hours. I can still remember those period when i was having problems with my lover but today through the help of Dr.EZIZA i am having joy in my relationship. And if you are having problems in your relationship the right place to get it solved is at: ezizaspellhome@gmail.com . By his help all your problems will be solved within 48 hours

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to thank Dr.Agbazara for his job in my family, this is man who left me and the kids for another woman without any good reasons, i was pain and confuse,till one day when i saw Dr.Agbazara contact, then i contacted him and he help me cast a reunion spell that help my situation with 48hours, since I then the situation has changed, everything is moving well, my husband who left me is now back to his family. reach DR.AGBAZARA TEMPLE via email if you have any problem at:
    ( agbazara@gmail.com )
    OR whatsapp or call him on +2348104102662

    ReplyDelete
  11. After being in relationship with him for seven years,he broke up with me, I did everything possible to bring him back but all was in vain, I wanted him back so much because of the love I have for him, I begged him with everything, I made promises but he refused. I explained my problem to someone online and she suggested that I should rather contact a spell caster lord Adamu that could help me cast a spell to bring him back but I am the type that never believed in spell, I had no choice than to try it, I mailed the lord Adamu and he told me there was no problem that everything will be okay before three days my ex will come back begging. I thanked him in earnest hoping he will come back to me because I miss him so much.To my very surprise on the 3rd day he came back begging and asking me to accept him back and he will never leave me again. All this would never had been possible but for lord Adamu I will always and forever recommend you to the world lord Adamu This is his contact below: lordadamuspelltemple@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. My name is Rose. I am really pleased with this service. I am one of those people who said, “I’ll never call a psychic or a magician or whatever” to help me with my problems – least of all my love problems, but I reached the point where I knew I needed some guidance, and I’m so glad I found this man called DR. AZA. I never in a million years would have thought I’d be writing a letter like this, but when I nearly lost Allen in one of our stupid,fights (he broke up with me), I thought I had lost everything.i cry all day and think that he will never come back to me again. i read a testimony by a woman called Mable about her saying that how DR. AZA help her to get back her EX husband within 48n hours.I quickly email him.and also get back my husband with his love spell. And when I was at my most desperate,he didn’t take advantage of me. You performed a very good service for a person in true need. I don’t know how you did it, or how this magic works, but all I know is, IT WORKS!! Allen my husband and I are happily back together, and I’ll always be grateful to DR. AZA. email him for any kinds of help is very capable and reliable for help
    azaspellcaster@gmail.com you can call or whatsApp his mobile number on +2348107155060 god bless your work Dr AZA

    ReplyDelete