DRUM AND JONES—AND US: Drum and Jones say the problem is Us!

MONDAY, DECEMBER 12, 2016

Part 1—Commenters can't seem to see it:
Last Tuesday, we recommended Van Jones' hour-long CNN town hall special, The Messy Truth.

Over the weekend, we finally watched the program. In our view, it was a very weak effort.

For starters, the program suffered from the scattershot staging typical of such "town halls." Jones spent thirty seconds speaking with representatives of every imaginable group. Such drive-by conversations are pointless.

Even worse, he spent a lot of time talking to Rick Santorum, who had been chosen, for some reason, to represent the standard Republican viewpoint.

Jones' program was supposed to challenge the way we Americans now "speak past" one another. Unfortunately, Santorum was almost impossibly rigid in his reactions to the situations with which he was confronted. He simply couldn't depart from his established frameworks. This made his rather lengthy segment a monumental waste of time.

It must further be said that Jones was part of the problem himself. He opened the program by speaking with a family from Ohio which had supported Obama in both previous presidential elections, but voted for Trump this time.

Jones' interview with these blue collar blokes was perhaps the strongest part of the hour. We'll likely return to some of their comments during the rest of the week.

That said, the phoniness of the cable news town hall was put on brilliant display when Jones introduced two members of this five-voter family. After playing videotape of an interview he'd conducted in their home, he brought them out live, "all the way from Ohio."

Below, you see what Jones said as he introduced these guests. Questions:

Did anyone really believe the things Jones said? Also, if what Jones said was true, what would that say about him?
JONES (12/7/16): Please welcome Derinda and Scott Seitz right here, all the way from Ohio.

(APPLAUSE)

JONES: You know, that was a life-changing thing for me, and I just learned so much from you. It was a—it was a total stereotype shatterer.

What do you hope people who are watching, people who are in this room, can learn from you, from your family and your experience so far?
The taped interview with the Seitzes was interesting; it was well worth discussing, at much greater length. That said, nothing about it could have been "life-changing" or a "total stereotype-shatterer" unless Jones has spent the past forty years on the back side of the moons

We were disappointed in Jones' performance. He'd always struck us as one of the sane ones, and one of the smart ones, when we watched CNN's ludicrous eight-pundit panels in action this fall.

Plainly, Jones is very bright—he always has been—but his town hall program was blatantly phony in all the standard ways. "Cable news" tends to eat the souls of even its best and brightest.

On balance, the program was bad. That said, Jones started in the revolutionary way to which we'd been attracted last week in some the preview segments we'd seen.

He started by making an appalling suggestion. Concerning our broken political culture, he weirdly said that part of the problem may perhaps lie with Us!

No, really. Check it out:
JONES (12/6/16): Good evening. I'm Van Jones. I want to welcome you to The Messy Truth.

Now, look, it's been one month, a whole month, since the election night and it still feels nearly impossible to have productive conversation with the other side.

You know who I'm talking about, OK?

We're still acting like one side is always right and the other side is always wrong. One side is grounded in truth and reason and, you know, good common sense, and the other side is insane and delusional, OK?

And now both sides have been guilty of doing this. I've been personally guilty of doing this. You have probably been guilty of doing this.

But look, this is America. At some point, we have got to do better, all right?

So we're here tonight and we're just going to try to get real. Neither side has all the answers. Nobody is perfect. And the real truth, when you get down to it, is almost always messy.

For instance, let's just get messy here for a second. I think both political parties need to take a good long look in the mirror, because right now, they both kind of suck. Let's just be honest.

(APPLAUSE)

Right now, both parties kind of suck.

(APPLAUSE)

Now, I'll start with us. Let's—I'll start with Us.
"I'm a strong Democrat," Jones then said. He proceeded to explain what he thinks is wrong with Us.

In our view, Jones fell well short of nailing the actual problem. That said, he was headed in a useful direction, as was Kevin Drum in this December 9 post.

Drum was responding to Paul Krugman's latest lament about a claim Krugman finds puzzling. Drum responded to this part of what Krugman had written that day:
KRUGMAN (12/9/16): Do the liberals sneer at the Joe Sixpacks? Actually, I’ve never heard it—the people I hang out with do understand that living the way they do takes a lot more money and time than hard-pressed Americans have, and aren’t especially judgmental about lifestyles. But it’s easy to see how the sense that liberals look down on regular folks might arise, and be fanned by right-wing media.
Do liberals sneer at working-class whites? Krugman still seemed to think that those working-class whites are just imagining things, as he had explicitly said in an earlier column.

Do we liberals sneer at The Others? Beyond that, is it possible that part of the problem with our failing culture could somehow lie with Us?

Drum rolled his eyes at Krugman's naivete concerning this fairly obvious point. In turn, we rolled our eyes a tiny bit at Drum. He said we liberals do tend to sneer at The Others a bit. But we thought he ducked the real nature of the problem—and in comments, his readers seemed completely unable to come to terms with the way We roll.

Does part of our problem lie with Us? Have we liberals played a role in the disastrous failure of our broken political culture? We think the answer is blatantly yes. We also think that we the liberals have a very hard time bringing this state of affairs into focus.

We'll ponder this puzzle all week. But no, it isn't because we mock Those People for enjoying fast food!

Can we grasp what it actually is? In our view, it seemed that Drum's commenters couldn't.

Krugman thinks it's all a dream! Might our team have a long way to go?

Tomorrow: What the rustics said

21 comments:

  1. Hi everyone, I'm so excited.
    My ex-boyfriend is back after a breakup,I’m extremely happy that will are living together again.
    My name is Mary Wilkie from England.
    My boyfriend of a 4yr just broke up with me and am 30 weeks pregnant.I have cried my self to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again.Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes ,my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time.Generally he is a very nice guy ,he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along.He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot .After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change.I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with.I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe.He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy,he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy.i was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a spell for me. 28 hours later, my bf came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my bf are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity. If you have any problem contact Dr.Unity now and i guarantee you that he will help you.Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,His website: http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .

    ReplyDelete
  2. And working class joes and their wives and girlfriends are taught to sneer at anyone who's educated, a liberal, or a Democrat by the vast right-wing hate machine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don' need to be taught. Its the natural reaction self-righteous holier than thou liberal smugness. Ever dawn on you that calling people dumb, racist, etc isn't going to exactly result in favorable reactions? Of course not. You're la liberal, you're always right and the rest of the world should just shut up, sit down and just be thankful we have such as you to tell us what is best for us.

      And you can't seem to see why people sneer at you.

      Delete
    2. And where exactly are they being taught? The media is overwhelmingly liberal. As are colleges and universities. So where is all this teaching going on?

      Delete
    3. They sneer at people who declare themselves "educated" but are actually indoctrinated at pathetic universities that abandon history and other formerly essential subjects in favor of "feminist studies." The average graduate of a liberal university is the dumbest, most brainwashed, and least educated people in America.

      Delete
    4. What is an example of all this sneering? The "Deplorable" comment sticks out in large part because it is so unusual. Goju is weak tea; all their sneering is excused because we are so bad. But offers no evidence or examples of what he is talking about, it's hard to even imagine what he is talking about. Both sides culturally, anyway, have long since enjoyed the same bad popular art.

      Delete
    5. Goju and the Republicans are using a technique that Karl Rove favored. You take your own flaw and project it onto your opponent. Indeed it is Republicans that are smug, elitist, and self righteous. Their self righteousness is in part a reaction to their guilt. Red states are the ones with the most immoral behavior, additionally they're the states that take more funding than they give.

      Clinton gave a speech about coming together to deal with issues, near the end she said this:

      Clinton: "I know there are only 60 days left to make our case — and don’t get complacent, don’t see the latest outrageous, offensive, inappropriate comment and think well he’s done this time. We are living in a volatile political environment. You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?
      The racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic — you name it. And unfortunately there are people like that. And he has lifted them up. He has given voice to their websites that used to only have 11,000 people — now how 11 million. He tweets and retweets their offensive hateful mean-spirited rhetoric. Now, some of those folks — they are irredeemable, but thankfully they are not America. But the other basket — and I know this because I see friends from all over America here — I see friends from Florida and Georgia and South Carolina and Texas — as well as, you know, New York and California — but that other basket of people are people who feel that the government has let them down, the economy has let them down, nobody cares about them, nobody worries about what happens to their lives and their futures, and they’re just desperate for change. It doesn’t really even matter where it comes from. They don’t buy everything he says, but he seems to hold out some hope that their lives will be different. They won’t wake up and see their jobs disappear, lose a kid to heroine, feel like they’re in a dead-end. Those are people we have to understand and empathize with as well."

      She admitted she was being "grossly generalistic" and was talking about those that had the bad traits she listed. For evidence she said the deplorables were at least 11 million, clearly not half of Trump's supporters but also clearly a significant portion. Her point was that these people were not going to listen to reasonable debate and that the focus should instead be on trying to connect with those that support Trump because they feel let down. No sneering, no smugness, no self righteousness, no elitism, none of that.

      Delete
    6. So Goju is not aware of the vast array of right-wing hatemongering radio shows, TV shows, and websites? And I'm the one who's blind?

      Delete
    7. "She admitted she was being "grossly generalistic"

      Doesn't fly after 8 years of being called "RACIST" every time a policy of Obama's was opposed or SEXIST for preferring Bernie over Hillary or XENOPHOBIC every time you express concern about importing people who subscribe to radical Islam or support deporting violent criminal illegal immigrants or oppose "sanctuary cities."

      You people just don't get it. Your stupidity in failing to distinguish between racism and reason, or your cynicism in purposely confusing the two, caused your electoral failure.

      Delete
  3. Of course liberals sneer at the Others. Sneer, insult, etc. That is not the problem. The problem is that liberals have started attacking their own. Anyone that doesn't a 100% believer is attacked. Just look at the environment on campus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On a campus, you are encouraged to be analytical, which necessarily entails a bit of criticism. Critical thinking is the name of the game. You leave that behind when you graduate because (1) any ideal is unattainable in the real world, (2) people react badly when you analyze or criticize them, (3) close enough is good enough. It is called growing up.

      The Left seems to have an additional, non-campus penchant for criticizing others on the left. It was reflected in the Sanders camp, but not so much among Hillary's people. Part of that was probably due to the average ages of supporters. But part of it came from people who should know better.

      Somerby didn't support Clinton, even toward the end when he recognized that someone needed to stop Trump. I don't get why.

      Lately he does seem to be buying into some of the criticism that comes from the Right. A lot of that was comingled among Left criticism by the Bernie camp. It isn't clear to me whether they realized they were adopting Right wing talking points, or whether these were fed to them.

      This idea that the Left is elitist and lost the election because it didn't respect the Working Class voters, the average guys, is a Right wing talking point. It is not supported by polling and it is not particularly true.

      I spent some time with voter registration and GOTV people in CA and I know that they were not treating anyone they encountered with snobbish disdain or elitism and they were not critical of differing opinions. It doesn't work to recruit people to your side and people were EXPLICITLY TRAINED not to approach people that way. This was in the Hillary camp. I think the Bernie people were different, being more amateurish and also depending on their elitism as a recruitment tool (part of their message).
      When did Bernie's approach become the entire Left? It wasn't during the election and it isn't now and it didn't lose votes for Hillary.

      Somerby needs to stop telling us that we cannot consider Trump and his supporters what they are -- incredibly stupid to the point of venality. The only recourse we will have to resist Trump's oppression will be maintaining our clear-headed view that he is an abnormal man occupying a job he does not deserve because a bunch of stupid people put him into office. End of story.

      Delete
    2. The brainwashed and braindead campus culture defines the Democratic party. It used to be a fringe that needed to be patted on the head and dismissed. They thrive on throwing RACIST bomb and making up lies about police shootings because they are emotionally unhinged and need an outlet for their hate. Hillary's deplorable speech was music to the ears of these idiots and cost her the election.

      Delete
    3. “The brainwashed and braindead campus culture defines the Democratic party...they are emotionally unhinged...these idiots and cost her the election.”

      Hey Bob, check out all that major league Republican name calling and sneering. Plus they sneeringly told us if we voted for Hillary we were voting for a serial murderer who was running a child molestation ring! And they won doing it! Maybe the problem was we got out-sneered

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One thing I hated about myself was I easily accept defeats so as to make peace and please people even when there are wrong. I had no idea that being people pleaser can affect my marriage in a negative way.
    When I caught my Husband cheating with a familiar lady, I made a face of defeat and ignored his actions hoping he will change.
    But I was shocked as he keep expanding his coast, using my weakness against me because I could easily forgive.
    It was already unbearable and too late to restore my marriage when I met Dr.Wakina for help a month after my husband brought a lady to our home and ordered me to leave if I can’t cope. Isn’t that crazy?
    The lady did everything possible to make me feel uncomfortable and later succeeded when I left home with our 19month old daughter but she never knew I went to seek for a permanent solution to our marital mishap and to my people pleaser problem even dough I pretty much can’t stop thinking of my Husband while Dr. Wakina was casting the spell on us.
    The result was actualized when he came crying to take us back, promising and proving at the same time he has changed, not only that, I realized I’ve gain total confidence on my decisions and stopped pleasing people when not necessary.
    “Dr. Wakina is indeed awesome and genuine” according to my Husband who pleaded to people undergoing relationship or marital problems to email Dr. Wakina for total restoration without any negative repercussions via dr.wakinalovetemple@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Let me help you out here, Bob. The problem has a word. That word is not "sneer". The word is "money".

    You're welcome.......

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My name is Sarah Lawson and I'm base in USA...My life is back!!! After 2 years of Broken marriage, my husband left me with two kids . I felt like my life was about to end and I almost committed suicide, I was emotionally down for a very long time. Thanks to a spell caster called Dr.Baba, which I meet online, On one faithful day, as I was browsing through the internet and I came across a lot of testimonies about this particular spell caster. Some people testified that he brought their Ex lover back, some testified that he restores womb,cure cancer and other sickness, some testified that he can cast a spell to stop divorce and so on. I also come across one particular testimony and it was about a woman called Stella, she testified about how he brought back her Ex lover in less than 2 days and at the end of her testimony she dropped Dr.Baba's email address. After reading all these,I decided to give it a try and I contacted him via email and explained my problem to him. In just 48 hours, my husband came back to me and we solved our issues, we are even happier than before Dr.Baba is really a gifted man and I will not stop testifying him because he is a wonderful man and so powerful... If you have a problem and you are looking for solution to solve all your problems. Great Dr.Baba can also offer any types of help like Reuniting of marriage and relationship, Curing of all types of Diseases, Court Cases, Pregnancy Spell, Spiritual protection and lot's more. You can contact him on his E-mail: (realhomeofspell@outlook.com) or you can contact him via his mobile number +12136324808.

    ReplyDelete

  9. 7months ago I met a guy in my final year exam. He was cool, caring and loving. I love him but I never wanted to tell him so I pretend loving him by refusing to pay attentions because I thought he just wanted sex with me…and I have been telling my friend margaret about him and unknowing to me that my friend Margaret was falling for him. Two months ago I started loving him much and I want him badly in my life but then, it was a little too late because my friend has already destroy me to him so he would date her and love her instead of me she did everything she could to get him from me and I never knew I was even telling her to help me talk to him because he was not calling me again. ..last week, I decided to pay him a visit to my greatest surprise I met my friend cooking in his kitchen she was sexually dressed. When he saw me he was shocked and couldn’t speak then my friend came out of the kitchen and she started judging me as if that was not enough she was kissing him in my presence. I was speechless and I couldn’t speak not because of my man but because of my friend I trusted so much how she broke my heart… I was totally hopeless because I never thought I could get him back again… I give all thanks to jai mata sunlight for reuniting me with the love of my life. after using lovespell on him. We will soon be getting married. And I want you readers to know to be careful with the kinda friends you are keeping. But till my experience I realize that nothing can harm but your friend…if you need lovespell for your man/ probably your ex... contact jai mata sunlight on her email sunlightmata@gmail.com. Don’t just contact her explain yourself to her and you will get a positive result. She is a goddess. And indeed a great mother of love. Thanks to you queen mother of love jai mata sunlight.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My girlfriend just dumped me. weve ben dating for 2 years. i started seeing her when she got pregnant she was my first girlfriend to begin with and we had ben friends for 8 years. she left me when i cheated on her, And since them i never stopped loving her , we started dating again. now 6 days ago she left me and she never wants to see me again. im not allowed to text or anything. but she will allow 2 calls a month that i can meet “my” daughter since she looks to me like a father. i really want her back and i cant imagine living my life without any of them. how do i handle that situation? i have to seek for solution to bring her back, one day in my office going through the internet i saw a post of a lady giving testimony on how she got her husband back on a website love spell by Dr kelvin it was really amazing to see this so i copy his email id on kelvinspell@gmail.com i explain my situation to him and gave him all the details he requested from me, he give me 3 days assurance that my girlfriend will come back after the spell i was so overwal to hear that so i just keep calm and follow up his order coz i really love my girlfriend and want her back. on the third day after the spell as he promise me, my ex call me also show up in my office begging me to forgive her and accept her back with out no delay, i lift her up with a kiss and was so very happy to have her back all my happiness was from Dr kelvin he is indeed a true man a father and a god sent. plz contact Dr kelvin on his email id direct at kelvinspell@gmail.com or call his mobile number on +2348121907216

    ReplyDelete
  11. My girlfriend just dumped me. weve ben dating for 2 years. i started seeing her when she got pregnant she was my first girlfriend to begin with and we had ben friends for 8 years. she left me when i cheated on her, And since them i never stopped loving her , we started dating again. now 6 days ago she left me and she never wants to see me again. im not allowed to text or anything. but she will allow 2 calls a month that i can meet “my” daughter since she looks to me like a father. i really want her back and i cant imagine living my life without any of them. how do i handle that situation? i have to seek for solution to bring her back, one day in my office going through the internet i saw a post of a lady giving testimony on how she got her husband back on a website love spell by Dr kelvin it was really amazing to see this so i copy his email id on kelvinspell@gmail.com i explain my situation to him and gave him all the details he requested from me, he give me 3 days assurance that my girlfriend will come back after the spell i was so overwal to hear that so i just keep calm and follow up his order coz i really love my girlfriend and want her back. on the third day after the spell as he promise me, my ex call me also show up in my office begging me to forgive her and accept her back with out no delay, i lift her up with a kiss and was so very happy to have her back all my happiness was from Dr kelvin he is indeed a true man a father and a god sent. plz contact Dr kelvin on his email id direct at kelvinspell@gmail.com or call his mobile number on +2348121907216

    ReplyDelete