Comic relief: How Reince Priebus explained Trump's landslide!

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 14, 2016

Why you don't hear "one county, one vote:"
In a front-page report in yesterday's Washington Post, Miller and Entous addressed some of the points about Russian hacking we ourselves raised on Monday.

They noted the confusion which has arisen from inconsistent use of the term "hacked." Beyond that, they added a fourth possibility to the three we'd listed:
MILLER AND ENTOUS (12/13/16): U.S. intelligence officials said that the Russian government appears to have succeeded in penetrating computer systems associated with both parties but "prioritized" Democratic institutions in a campaign that culminated with the posting of thousands of sensitive emails on the WikiLeaks website.

The CIA briefed the administration that it thinks the Russians "breached" the RNC systems, according to a senior U.S. official, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue. "Obviously there haven't been the same sort of leaks and pilfered documents spread about from this intrusion as there were from the various DNC and related incursions."

Other officials familiar with the CIA's assessment said there is "high confidence" that the RNC was targeted but less certainty that the Russians got inside the committee and stole material.

The explanation for the lack of damaging Republican leaks remains a source of debate across the U.S. intelligence community, but officials think it may reflect in part an allocation of resources and effort by Russian-backed actors who have been tied to the hacking campaign.
Why didn't the Russians release Republican materials? We don't know, but we'll call this "Possibility 4:"
Possibility 4: The Russians may have targeted both major parties. But they may have directed more attention at the Dems.
Whatever! Of one thing we can be certain. Tremendous efforts will be made to create confusion about these matters. Absent skillful work by journalists, these efforts will succeed.

Our journalists are rarely excessively skillful. On Sunday, Reince Priebus ran circles around Chuck Todd on Meet the Press. At one point, he seemed unwilling to affirm any Russian involvement at all. In all the confusion, he even seemed to suggest that the intelligence community hadn't made any such formal statement.

Todd failed to note the October 7 statement in which the intelligence community formally said the Russians were the agents. In the course of all the confusion, Todd seemed to support Priebus' suggestion that no one except anonymous sources has made any such claim.

On Monday night, Brian Williams got waylaid in an even more ridiculous fashion by neocon kingpin James Woolsey.

For unknown reasons, Williams featured Woolsey as a guest on his MSNBC program, The Eleventh Hour. With considerable vigor, Woolsey devoted himself to denying that the Russians interfered with American voting systems—an allegation no one has made.

Williams seemed to have no idea that Woolsey was attacking a straw man; either that, or the handsome anchor simply didn't want to challenge his high-ranking guest. Whatever! Woolsey created tremendous confusion during his solo interview segment. Williams showed no sign of understanding how far afield he'd been taken by his guest.

Priebus was gifted this Sunday by Todd's apparent lack of preparation. That said, Priebus is a determined dissembler. For a bit of comic relief, let's recall the way he tried to support the ridiculous claim that Candidate Trump won a massive "landslide" last month.

Priebus released his ridiculous statement on November 25—exactly one month before Christmas. Here's part of what he said:
PRIEBUS (11/25/16): Nearly three weeks after the presidential election, the numbers showing President-elect Donald J. Trump's commanding victory are coming more fully into focus. He won 306 electoral votes, the most for a Republican since George H. W. Bush in 1988. He carried 9 of 13 battleground states. Millions of Americans rallied behind his message of rebuilding our country and disrupting the status quo. This was a truly national victory.

Here are some other stats on the scope of his win:

I. A groundswell of popular support:

President-elect Donald J. Trump won over 2,600 counties nationwide,
the most since President Reagan in 1984. Additionally, he won over 62 million votes in the popular vote, the highest all-time for a Republican nominee. Voters everywhere wanted Donald J. Trump as their president.
The foolishness continued from there. Let's consider the highlighted statement, which got a fair amount of play over the next few weeks.

Did Donald J. Trump really win 2600 counties? Yes, he pretty much did, though that doesn't necessarily indicate "a groundswell of popular support."

You see, not all counties are created equal. Here's a list of the nation's six largest:
Population of six American counties
Los Angeles County (Calif.): 9.8 million
Cook County (Ill.): 5.2 million
Harris County (Texas): 4.1 million
Maricopa County (Ariz.): 3.8 million
San Diego County (Calif.): 3.1 million
Orange County (Calif.): 3.0 million
Those are the nation's six largest counties. By way of contrast, here are the population figures for six other counties:
Population of six other American counties
Blaine County (Neb.): 478
Arthur County (Neb.): 460
Kennedy County (Texas): 416
King County (Texas): 286
Kalawao County (Haw.): 90
Loving County (Texas): 82
For the record, we may be overstating the size of some counties. Those figures all come from the 2010 census. By 2012, Loving County's population had dropped to 67.

Not all counties are created equal! There's a good reason why you've never heard the battle cry, "One county, one vote!"

We live in a time when there's nothing so silly, so bogus or so stupid that people like Priebus won't say it. On Sunday, he took Todd to the cleaners concerning Russian involvement in hacking.

One night later, there was Woolsey, eating Williams alive.

For figure filberts only: According to the leading authority on county size, fourteen U.S. counties top two million in population.

Thirty-five counties have a population under one thousand. Just over 700 counties check in at less than 10,000.

There's nothing a player like Priebus won't say. He'll often say it to a TV star, which means he'll live to make another ridiculous statement on some other day.

15 comments:

  1. Unless he's just trying to say the RNC has better firewalls and nerdier techs than its counterpart, Mr. Priebus' feiry insistence that it wasn't hacked lends credence to the assertion that the Ruskies were trying to help the Rs by hurting the Ds. Does he understand that?

    And God bless Turner Classic Movies everyone. Soon they'll devoting an entire evening to Nuclear Holocaust films from the Cold War Era. Maybe among themselves the programmers are calling it John Bolton Night.

    In recent weeks they ran "Dr. Strangelove..." and it inspired me to hope some magazine will take the opportunity to Photoshop Energy Secretary-designate Rick Perry riding an H-bomb down to Ground Zero Slim Pickins-style. YEE HAW!!!

    Despite their unmistakably liberal bent, the TCM programmers are guilty of some curious omissions, however. While Christmas day will present a lineup of Preston Sturges classics, the touching "Christmas in July" will not be among them. And while they're favoring us with just about every other Christmas movie imaginable, including a version of Scrooge I'd never even heard of, they won't be running perhaps the best Christmas movie of all: "Miracle on 34th Street."

    But keep watching TCM to see how its lineup can often amount to sly commentary on these changing times. Maybe they'll be running a new one called "Miracle on 5th Avenue."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Bob:

    We live in a time when there's nothing so silly, so bogus or so stupid that people like Priebus won't say it. On Sunday, he took Todd to the cleaners concerning Russian involvement in hacking.

    One night later, there was Woolsey, eating Williams alive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a statistics professional, I am sadly resolved that for most people, statistics are not techniques to understand reality. They're techniques to be abused in order to make whatever point one wants to make. Kudos to Bob for not accepting Priebus's deceptive county count.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If someone is willing to lie, why should statistics be exempt?

      Why do you assume that "most people" are like Reince Priebus? Do you think it excuses him when you blame "statistics"? There is nothing inherently deceptive about statistics, any more than there is something inherently deceptive about words.

      It may be that it is easier to deceive people using statistics because so few people have training in their use and because so many people are math-phobic and don't understand much about numbers in general.

      Delete
    2. There's an old saying, perhaps a cliché by now: "there are 3 kinds of lies: lies; damned lies; and statistics."

      Delete
  4. David, are you sadly resolved or sadly resigned?

    ReplyDelete
  5. dieters commonly took it. however, the take a look at did endorse http://musclegainfast.com/leanfire-xt-reviews/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like rural counties need the electoral college in state elections so their votes will have greater weight within states too. Why not--its the American way? After all, The Founders were geniuses who shat marble, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. My girlfriend just dumped me. weve ben dating for 2 years. i started seeing her when she got pregnant she was my first girlfriend to begin with and we had ben friends for 8 years. she left me when i cheated on her, And since them i never stopped loving her , we started dating again. now 6 days ago she left me and she never wants to see me again. im not allowed to text or anything. but she will allow 2 calls a month that i can meet “my” daughter since she looks to me like a father. i really want her back and i cant imagine living my life without any of them. how do i handle that situation? i have to seek for solution to bring her back, one day in my office going through the internet i saw a post of a lady giving testimony on how she got her husband back on a website love spell by Dr kelvin it was really amazing to see this so i copy his email id on kelvinspell@gmail.com i explain my situation to him and gave him all the details he requested from me, he give me 3 days assurance that my girlfriend will come back after the spell i was so overwal to hear that so i just keep calm and follow up his order coz i really love my girlfriend and want her back. on the third day after the spell as he promise me, my ex call me also show up in my office begging me to forgive her and accept her back with out no delay, i lift her up with a kiss and was so very happy to have her back all my happiness was from Dr kelvin he is indeed a true man a father and a god sent. plz contact Dr kelvin on his email id direct at kelvinspell@gmail.com or call his mobile number on +2348121907216

    ReplyDelete
  8. My girlfriend just dumped me. weve ben dating for 2 years. i started seeing her when she got pregnant she was my first girlfriend to begin with and we had ben friends for 8 years. she left me when i cheated on her, And since them i never stopped loving her , we started dating again. now 6 days ago she left me and she never wants to see me again. im not allowed to text or anything. but she will allow 2 calls a month that i can meet “my” daughter since she looks to me like a father. i really want her back and i cant imagine living my life without any of them. how do i handle that situation? i have to seek for solution to bring her back, one day in my office going through the internet i saw a post of a lady giving testimony on how she got her husband back on a website love spell by Dr kelvin it was really amazing to see this so i copy his email id on kelvinspell@gmail.com i explain my situation to him and gave him all the details he requested from me, he give me 3 days assurance that my girlfriend will come back after the spell i was so overwal to hear that so i just keep calm and follow up his order coz i really love my girlfriend and want her back. on the third day after the spell as he promise me, my ex call me also show up in my office begging me to forgive her and accept her back with out no delay, i lift her up with a kiss and was so very happy to have her back all my happiness was from Dr kelvin he is indeed a true man a father and a god sent. plz contact Dr kelvin on his email id direct at kelvinspell@gmail.com or call his mobile number on +2348121907216

    ReplyDelete
  9. How to get your Ex Boyfriend back after a breakup, I’m extremely happy that me and my ex-boyfriend are living together again.
    I' m Mary from England, My boyfriend of a 4yr just broke up with me and am 30 weeks pregnant.I have cried my self to sleep most of the nights and don’t seem to concentrate during lectures sometimes I stay awake almost all night thinking about him and start to cry all over again.Because of this I end up not having energy for my next day’s classes ,my attendance has dropped and am always in uni and on time. Generally he is a very nice guy ,he ended it because he said we were arguing a lot and not getting along.He is right we’ve been arguing during the pregnancy a lot .After the break up I kept ringing him and telling him I will change.I am in love with this guy and he is the best guy I have ever been with.I’m still hurt and in disbelief when he said he didn’t have any romantic feelings towards me anymore that hurt me faster than a lethal syringe.He texts me now and then mainly to check up on how am doing with the pregnancy,he is supportive with it but it’s not fair on me, him texting me as I just want to grieve the pain and not have any stress due to the pregnancy.i was really upset and i needed help, so i searched for help online and I came across a website that suggested that Dr Unity can help solve marital problems, restore broken relationships and so on. So, I felt I should give him a try. I contacted him and he told me what to do and i did it then he did a spell for me. 28 hours later, my bf came to me and apologized for the wrongs he did and promise never to do it again. Ever since then, everything has returned back to normal. I and my bf are living together happily again.. All thanks to Dr Unity. If you have any problem contact Dr.Unity now and i guarantee you that he will help you. Email him at: Unityspelltemple@gmail.com ,you can also call him or add him on Whats-app: +2348071622464 ,His website: http://unityspelltemple.yolasite.com .

    Love Spells by Dr Unity - Spells that work fast‎ https://drunityafricanlovespells.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I want to let the world know about Doctor abel the Great spell caster that brought back my husband to me when i thought all hope was lost. Doctor abel used his powerful spell to put a smile on my face by bringing back my man with his spell, at first i thought i was dreaming when my husband came back to me on his knees begging me to forgive him and accept him back and even since then he loves me more than i ever expected so i made a vow to my self the i will let the World know about Doctor abel because he is a God on earth. Do you have problems in your relationship ? have your partner broke up with you and you still love and want him back ? Do you have problem with your finance ? or do you need help of any kind then contact Doctor abel today for i give you 100% guarantee that he will help you just as he helped me. Doctor abel email is: bantespelltemple@gmail.com or whatsApp him +2347059073543

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am Miss alisha,From USA. I will start by saying to all that have experience heart break and also cant do with out there lover should please stop here and read up my story, So as you will know how to go solving or getting your ex back from this spell caster..AND AGAIN I WILL WANT TO ALSO TELL ALL THAT THIS SPELL CASTER I WILL WANT TO TELL THE WHOLE WORLD ABOUT IS HARMLESS AND DO NOT HAVE ANY SIDE EFFECT, BUT TO RESTORE AND GIVE YOU BACK WHAT YOU DESERVE, COS WHEN I MEET WITH THIS SPELL CASTER THAT WAS INTRODUCED TO ME BY THE WIFE OF MY BOSS IN MY WORKING PLACE, HE MADE IT CLEAR THAT HE CAN CAST SPELL ON SO MANY OTHER PROBLEMS EXCEPT IN GETTING YOUR EX OR MAKING YOUR LOVER TO LOVE YOU MORE THAT WILL SUITE YOU. Last year December, My lover was cheating on me and was not also give me the attention that a man should give to a woman,And really that was troubling my mind and tearing my heart apart to the extent that i was not concentrating in the office the way i use to before the break up by my lover.And before that incident,I always see how my boss use to love his wife so much. I was bringing to think that i was not doing the right thing to him that will make him love me forever,So i really gathered my courage and went to my boss wife office to ask her the secret that made her husband love her so dearly,In the first place she refused in telling me,She asked me why i am asking her such a question,That if is it not normal for every man to love his wife.I told her the reason that made me ask her about this question,That my lover started cheating on me lately,When i knelt down before her for her to see my seriousness in this issue that i went to ask her,She opened up to me by telling me that i should not tell anybody about what she want to tell me,The wife to my boss started to say to me that she used a very powerful spell on his husband to love her,And the spell that she used is harmless, But the spell is just to make him love her and never to look for any other woman except her. I QUICKLY ASK HER HOW DID SHE GET TO KNOW THIS GREAT,POWER,DURABLE AND PERFECT WORK SPELL CASTER,she said that a friend of hers also introduce her to him. Then i also ask her how i can meet with this spell caster.SHE SAID EVERYTHING TO ME,THAT THE NAME OF THIS SPELL CASTER IS Dr.AZEN .My next question to her was how can i get this wonderful spell caster,She said she is going to give me the email of the spell caster for me to contact him for my problem,Really she gave to me this spell caster email:[azentemple@gmail.com]or what'sapp +2349038299828. and i contacted him and explained all to him,And after every thing that needed to be done by the spell caster, In the next two days, My lover that hated me so much came to house begging for forgiveness and i was so glad that i have finally gotten my heart desire..I was so grateful to this spell caster for what he has done for my life.. So i made a promise to him that i will always come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am Miss alisha,From USA. I will start by saying to all that have experience heart break and also cant do with out there lover should please stop here and read up my story, So as you will know how to go solving or getting your ex back from this spell caster..AND AGAIN I WILL WANT TO ALSO TELL ALL THAT THIS SPELL CASTER I WILL WANT TO TELL THE WHOLE WORLD ABOUT IS HARMLESS AND DO NOT HAVE ANY SIDE EFFECT, BUT TO RESTORE AND GIVE YOU BACK WHAT YOU DESERVE, COS WHEN I MEET WITH THIS SPELL CASTER THAT WAS INTRODUCED TO ME BY THE WIFE OF MY BOSS IN MY WORKING PLACE, HE MADE IT CLEAR THAT HE CAN CAST SPELL ON SO MANY OTHER PROBLEMS EXCEPT IN GETTING YOUR EX OR MAKING YOUR LOVER TO LOVE YOU MORE THAT WILL SUITE YOU. Last year December, My lover was cheating on me and was not also give me the attention that a man should give to a woman,And really that was troubling my mind and tearing my heart apart to the extent that i was not concentrating in the office the way i use to before the break up by my lover.And before that incident,I always see how my boss use to love his wife so much. I was bringing to think that i was not doing the right thing to him that will make him love me forever,So i really gathered my courage and went to my boss wife office to ask her the secret that made her husband love her so dearly,In the first place she refused in telling me,She asked me why i am asking her such a question,That if is it not normal for every man to love his wife.I told her the reason that made me ask her about this question,That my lover started cheating on me lately,When i knelt down before her for her to see my seriousness in this issue that i went to ask her,She opened up to me by telling me that i should not tell anybody about what she want to tell me,The wife to my boss started to say to me that she used a very powerful spell on his husband to love her,And the spell that she used is harmless, But the spell is just to make him love her and never to look for any other woman except her. I QUICKLY ASK HER HOW DID SHE GET TO KNOW THIS GREAT,POWER,DURABLE AND PERFECT WORK SPELL CASTER,she said that a friend of hers also introduce her to him. Then i also ask her how i can meet with this spell caster.SHE SAID EVERYTHING TO ME,THAT THE NAME OF THIS SPELL CASTER IS Dr.AZEN .My next question to her was how can i get this wonderful spell caster,She said she is going to give me the email of the spell caster for me to contact him for my problem,Really she gave to me this spell caster email:[azentemple@gmail.com]or what'sapp +2349038299828. and i contacted him and explained all to him,And after every thing that needed to be done by the spell caster, In the next two days, My lover that hated me so much came to house begging for forgiveness and i was so glad that i have finally gotten my heart desire..I was so grateful to this spell caster for what he has done for my life.. So i made a promise to him that i will always come.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I Can’t still believe that i got cured from Genital Herpes through herbal treatment from Dr agaba who I met through the internet, I actually couldn’t believe it at first because it sounded impossible to me knowing how far I have gone just to get rid of it. Dr agaba send me his medicine which I took as instructed and here I am living a happy life once again, a big thanks to Dr agaba, I am sure there are many herbal doctors out there but Dr agaba did it for me, contact him Dragabasolutinhome@gmail.com , also call or whatsApp him on +2349074536486  

    ReplyDelete