Is this whole culture out of order?

TUESDAY, JULY 30, 2024

The heartlessness is right here: "This whole trial is out of order," Al Pacino famously said.

Reportedly, it's one of Hollywood's most misquoted remarks. In our view, the statement should be borrowed more often, given the fact that so many elements of our culture are wholly out of order.

Candidate Vance is getting smacked for his "childless cat ladies" remark. This letter to the New York Times captures the type of diffuse anger and heartlessness lodged in such flippant dismissals:

To the Editor:

JD Vance, the Republican vice-presidential nominee, said in 2021, “We’re effectively run, in this country, via the Democrats, via our corporate oligarchs, by a bunch of childless cat ladies who are miserable at their own lives and the choices that they’ve made, and so they want to make the rest of the country miserable, too.”

I would say this to Mr. Vance:

I was a childless cat lady: three cats, no kids.

I thought fertility was a given. There was no medical reason I couldn’t have children. Yet it did not happen. Three cats. A great career. No kids.

I was, in effect at 38, a “childless cat lady.”

I pursued fertility treatments. Treatments that many Republicans want to ban.

I had painful tests, surgeries, running to the lab—five vials of blood drawn every day at 6 a.m.—then rushing to work for a minimum 12-hour day.

Childless cat lady lawyer. Meow.

I had one fabulous child at 38 with I.V.F. She was a triplet, but I lost my daughter’s siblings.

I was pregnant three other times. I lost two other babies at four months. I needed a D and C: same procedure as an abortion. If I didn’t have the surgery, I would have died.

Another lifesaving procedure that Republicans seek to criminalize.

So, Mr. Vance: I embrace “childless cat lady.” I was one, yet I was at all times a highly effective litigator in a large and dynamic practice. I did not sit at home and bemoan my childless state.

I can promise you this, Mr. Vance: Women will look askance at voting for you and the former president.

The letter comes from Melville, New York. It's beautifully composed.

That said, also this:

As we noted this morning, we've been re-perusing Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis, which we speed-read in a local bookstore back in 2016, when it created a splash. 

All in all, the book received strong reviews from the major mainstream news orgs. From this vantage point, it strikes us as remarkably tedious, and as a bit of a cry for help.

After the Republican Convention, we mentioned Usha Vance's surprising reference to the "childhood traumas" she said her husband had experienced and had managed to overcome. Those traumas stemmed from what seems to have been an astonishing volume of what we'd call childhood neglect and abuse. 

Has her husband overcome those childhood traumas? Late in his book, in Chapter 14, Vance describes his attempt to come to terms with his emotional problems during his second year at Yale Law School.

After four years in the Marines, this was his sixth year away from the astoundingly dysfunctional family within which he'd been a toddler, a child and a teen. This is part, but only part, of what he writes at that point:

I tried to go to a counselor, but it was just too weird. Talking to some stranger about my feelings made me want to vomit. I did go to the library, and I learned that behavior I considered commonplace was the subject of pretty intense academic study. Psychologists call the everyday occurrences of my and [his sister] Lindsay's life “adverse childhood experiences,” or ACEs. ACEs are traumatic childhood events, and their consequences reach far into adulthood. 

[...]

I thought a lot about myself, about the emotional triggers I’d learned over eighteen years of living at home. I realized that I mistrusted apologies, as they were often used to convince you to lower your guard. It was an “I’m sorry” that convinced me to take that fateful car ride with Mom more than a decade earlier. And I began to understand why I used words as weapons: That’s what everyone around me did; I did it to survive. Disagreements were war, and you played to win the game.

I didn’t unlearn these lessons overnight. I continue to struggle with conflict, to fight the statistical odds that sometimes seem to bear down on me. Sometimes it’s easier knowing that the statistics suggest I should be in jail or fathering my fourth illegitimate child. And sometimes it’s harder—conflict and family breakdown seem like the destiny I can’t possibly escape. In my worst moments, I convince myself that there is no exit, and no matter how much I fight old demons, they are as much an inheritance as my blue eyes and brown hair. The sad fact is that I couldn’t do it without Usha. Even at my best, I’m a delayed explosion—I can be defused, but only with skill and precision. It’s not just that I’ve learned to control myself but that Usha has learned how to manage me. Put two of me in the same home and you have a positively radioactive situation. It’s no surprise that every single person in my family who has built a successful home—Aunt Wee, Lindsay, my cousin Gail—married someone from outside our little culture. 

That self-portrait appeared in 2016. On the whole, the book strikes us as remarkably tedious, but it's also a portrait of the deep-seated harm that can be done when a "motherless child" is subjected to eighteen years of neglect and abuse and dysfunction.

"I continue to struggle with conflict...Even at my best, I’m a delayed explosion." 

Vance published that self-portrait when he was 31. Eight years later, he's been nominated for vice president of the United States. He's running with a badly disordered person who was raised by a sociopath—or so wrote that gentleman's niece in a best-selling book, and she holds a doctorate in clinical psychology.

(That doesn't necessarily mean that her assessments are correct.)

Our advice regarding Vance remains unchanged. First, though, here's another passage from a bit later on in his book:

Not long ago, I had lunch with Brian, a young man who reminded me of fifteen-year-old J.D. Like Mom, his mother caught a taste for narcotics, and like me, he has a complicated relationship with his father. He’s a sweet kid with a big heart and a quiet manner. He has spent nearly his entire life in Appalachian Kentucky; we went to lunch at a local fast-food restaurant, because in that corner of the world there isn’t much else to eat. As we talked, I noticed little quirks that few others would. He didn’t want to share his milk shake, which was a little out of character for a kid who ended every sentence with “please” or “thank you.” He finished his food quickly and then nervously looked from person to person. I could tell that he wanted to ask a question, so I wrapped my arm around his shoulder and asked if he needed anything. “Y—Yeah,” he started, refusing to make eye contact. And then, almost in a whisper: “I wonder if I could get a few more french fries?” He was hungry. In 2014, in the richest country on earth, he wanted a little extra to eat but felt uncomfortable asking. Lord help us.

In passing, a question:

When older people go out to lunch with a younger person they don't know, do they really ask if they can share the younger person's milk shake? Do they wrap an arm around the young person's shoulder while asking if there's anything he needs?

We're just asking! (We aren't always convinced of the perfect accuracy of every anecdote in this book.) 

Having said that, now this:

There are a lot of Brians out there. There are also a lot of 15-year-old JDs. Keeping that in mind, we've often mentioned this fact down through the years:

In Blue America, we tend to feel amazingly sure that we're the smart and decent and moral people. That said, our big news orgs pay amazingly little attention to the country's underserved children. 

At the Times, they worry about Gotham's (fewer than) one percent—about the handful of kids who might end up at Yale—and they rarely seem to show much interest in anyone else. Nor do thought leaders, here in our own Blue America, seem to notice this wide-ranging lack of interest.

That's a brilliant and beautiful letter to the Times. Meanwhile, is this whole culture out of order? For starters, is it possible to comprehend how astoundingly stupid our discourse has now become? 

(More on that to follow.)

Is this whole culture out of order? Do we possibly need a new Great Awakening? We're going to guess that it possibly is, and that we possibly might.

As for us Blues, we actually aren't super-smart and no, we aren't super-caring. We'd all be better off around here if we were a bit less sure of ourselves.

Regarding Brother Vance himself, we'll stick with the heart of our prior assessments:

Pity the (motherless) child, we've said. Vote against the (diffusely angry, possibly struggling) man.


56 comments:

  1. Imagine being male and holding up a liberal woman with a "doctorate of clinical psychology" as an arbiter of mental health. We young men under 50 are not burdened by this strange form of gullibility but boomer intellects have rotted in it sad to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ageist. And how about your reading acuity? Did you notice that Somerby explicitly said he was NOT holding Mary Trump up as the arbiter of mental health: "That doesn't necessarily mean her assessments are correct."

      And what is this weird "Imagine being male and holding up a liberal woman" shit? Is it really so difficult for you as a man to defer to a woman's expertise? Or to refer to a liberal woman as an expert? The more I think about this, the more my skin crawls.

      Delete
    2. If Somerby was presenting Mary Trump as an 'arbiter' why would he go out of his way to say she may not be correct in her assessment?

      And what does 'being male' have to do with anything?

      Delete
    3. Clinical psychologists are the people who diagnose and treat mental illness (along with psychiatrists and clinical neuroscientists and neuropsychologists who look for organic causes and treatments).

      Delete
    4. Imagine being any gender and holding up Trump as a legitimate candidate to hold the highest office in the country. Talk about a strange form of gullibility.

      Rachel Maddow does more excellent work -- Trump and his enablers are planning to steal the election:

      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of9OP_a6MNg

      Delete
    5. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    6. If that sounds alarmist to anyone, well, they already tried it once:

      https://youtu.be/Y44fyh4ap7k?si=eogt0KTXWRN9WPAh&t=850

      And Trump now has nothing to lose and everything to gain by trying again. If he loses the election, he'll likely go to prison for the rest of his life. So he's even more motivated now than in 2020 to do something radical if he doesn't win legitimately.

      Delete
    7. Not as scary as a rainbow on a beer can, but scary nonetheless.

      Delete
  2. Somerby can empathize with Vance but not the woman from Melville. That’s what is wrong with Trump voters. Fot them, and Somerby, Women are addicts who torture children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For Somerby, "Women are addicts who torture children." That's a take.

      And some wonder why I call them Somerby-haters.

      Delete
    2. Somerby has said thatthe lost boys like Tucker Carlson and Greg Gutfeld were ruined by their mothers, just as he whined about his own mommy in his one-man “comedy” show. There is a theme here where Trump and Vance were both ruined as children and are not responsible for anything they say or do. Somerby and his lost boys are the haters.

      Delete
    3. Men who complain about childless cat ladies are showing a lot of woman hating, PP.

      Delete
    4. In Trump’s case the wicked parent was Daddy, not Mommy.

      Delete
    5. 5:40 - Perhaps you missed where Somerby said that Vance's "childless cat lady" remark manifests a "type of diffuse anger and heartlessness."

      Delete
    6. 5:39 - I think your comment is replete with errors, but let's just pick one: Point me to where Somerby said that Vance is not responsible for anything he does.

      (What Somerby actually recommends is to pity Vance, but to vote against him. Which seems like good advice to me.)

      Delete
    7. Excessively literal. Look at Somerby’s plea that we pity Vance, just like Trump and The Others. Somerby doesn’t say vote against Vance. He says Kamala has too much baggage.

      Baggage is an old - fashioned derogatory term for a wiman, by the way.

      Delete
    8. Being excessively literal, I'll point out that Bob said Kamala has a lot of 'baggage', but not that it was too much.

      Delete
    9. Anon: “Somerby says X.”
      PP: “Show me, where?”
      Anon: “You’re being too literal.”

      Rinse, repeat

      Delete
    10. Or is this variation:

      Hector: Somerby said X.
      Anon: Yeah, but he meant Y.
      Hector: How do you know?
      Anon: Argle bargle.

      Delete
    11. (I like the “Argle bargle.”)

      Delete
    12. Bob often says X when he means Y.

      Delete
    13. How do you know?

      Delete
    14. PP & Hector, if you cannot follow the evidence (argle bargle) then you have no basis for discarding it.

      Delete
    15. True. But 'argle bargle' describes the quality of the evidence Anons present, not our ability to follow it.

      Delete
    16. Argle bargle is convincing.

      Delete
  3. Vance's mother was introduced and honored at the Republican National Convention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So she was only horrible in his book?

      Delete
    2. She made JD strong.

      Delete
    3. JD Vance having sex with his furniture is one of the less weird things about him.

      Delete
    4. There’s no evidence that JD ever abused any couch.

      Delete
    5. A man who cannot support himself without help from Thiel is not strong.

      Delete
    6. True strength is treating furniture with dignity and respect. JD is truly strong.

      Delete
  4. "In Blue America, we tend to feel amazingly sure that we're the smart and decent and moral people. That said, our big news orgs pay amazingly little attention to the country's underserved children."

    Yet another cut-and-paste, apropos of nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The woods are lovely dark and deep.

      Delete
  5. Didn't Al Pacino use the same "out of order" line in the movie Scent of a Woman?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fred Trump appears to be a freeloading loser. Communists always end up turning on their family.

    Eric Trump said " It's disappointing that after decades of unwavering love, support, golf memberships, family vacations and millions of dollars in support for his wonderful son, Fred Trump has decided to 'cash in' less than a 100 days before an election. I have signed the checks and witnessed first-hand as my father, and our family, has provided endless financial support so that Fred’s son could receive the best possible medical care. To read this garbage and see that he has now followed his troubled sister simply earn a quick buck is disgusting, disheartening and a prime example of 'no good deed goes unpunished'.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This blog offering and the whole political dynamic nowadays gives me the hebejebes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you mean heebie-jeebies?

      Delete
    2. Do you mean you fear Harris will win and all of the disgraceful bad behavior of the Right will finally blow up in your face?

      Delete
    3. Anonymouse 9:10pm, no, I fear that the you, Bob, the left, will more and more sound like the denouement scene in a grade B movie.

      Delete
    4. 10:20 Ain't happening, biatch.

      Delete
    5. Did Trump coming on the scene and the GOP’s genuflecting before him give you the heebie jeebies as well, Cecelia? Perhaps when they adopted his election lies, or supported his coup? … ? Or you’re just that way because of the left?

      Delete
    6. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    7. Anonymouse 11:27pm, you’re the ending of an adolescent meltdown via FaceTime

      Delete
    8. Anonymouse 12:41am, I’ve included Vance’s dirty laundry airing as a source of distaste too.


      But hey, keep telling me how I’m accountable for accurately evaluating my party, while your back hair bristles at Bob for doing just that as to his own party and as you type lame partisan put downs night and day.

      Delete
    9. Cecelia, stop thinking of the Republicans as your party.

      Delete
    10. Republicans aren't so much a political party as they are a bunch of thugs.

      Delete
  8. Ismail Haniyeh has been killed in Iran.

    ReplyDelete
  9. David and Cecelia will love this. Kevin debunks a leftist professor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debunks? Crenshaw doesn’t state a time period. Drum doesn’t explain why he picked 2015 as his a starting period. It makes more sense to figure out what she is examining and where he results came from than to find some way to produce different numbers. I can “debunk” her by talking about Iceland last year but what would that show. His first act should be to email her and ask some questions.

      Delete

  10. Working part-time, I earn more than $13,000 per month. After hearing how much people could make online, I decided to give it a try. It’s completely true and has transformed my life. If you’re curious, check out the website below for more details.
    Begin here >>>>>>> GOOGLE WORK

    ReplyDelete