Are charter schools building a revolution?

TUESDAY, JANUARY 12, 2021

Drum on Chait says no: Have charter schools begun to fashion a genuine revolution, especially among lower-income city kids? 

Jonathan Chait almost says as much in this report for New York magazine. Yesterday, after we cited the Chait report, Kevin Drum posted his own assessment of the sleep-inducing claim.

Has a revolution begun to emerge? Sadly, no, Drum said:

DRUM (1/11/21): Over at New York, Jonathan Chait has a longish piece about charter schools. His main point is that there’s been something of a revolution in the charter school [world]...

[...]

I did some checking to see if I had missed anything big over the past couple of years. It doesn’t really seem like it. The basic shape of things with charter schools is that, on average, they perform about as well as regular schools, but the best charters do indeed perform quite a bit better. The very best, as Chait says, even produce gains for their Black kids that nearly wipe out the Black-white educational gap that’s been a feature of American education forever.

This is good news in a way, but I have a couple of objections that Chait doesn’t take on. Both of them are related to scalability.

According to Drum, the "scalability" problem works like this:

According to Drum, the very best charter schools do in fact "nearly wipe out the Black-white educational gap." But these particular charter networks "are still quite small, serving barely more than 100,000 students in total."

Those schools are doing extremely well, but it isn't likely that other schools, or other charter networks, will be able to copy what they do and produce the same results. Some people are just better than others, Drum correctly says—better at hitting a baseball or writing a novel, or at running a school.

We haven't checked the research to which Chait links; apparently Drum has. Concerning Drum's assessment of the situation, we will offer this:

Based on long experience, we're always skeptical of schools which claim remarkable results based on remarkable test scores. Sadly, if history teaches us anything, history teaches us this:

When schools claim that their performance has "nearly wipe[d] out the Black-white educational gap," you'll rarely go wrong betting that some sort of fraud is involved in their claims.

Sadly, that's been the history of this phenomenon, dating at least to the 1970s. If the research to which Chait links points only to a set of schools with unusually high test scores, we'd only say the following:

"Trust but verify," we'd suggest. (We believe Abraham Lincoln first said that!)

We haven't looked at the research ourselves. There's been this little matter of the end of the world on which we've mainly been focused.

That said, Drum's post will constitute the full discussion of Chait's report. Except for performative purposes, no one cares about black kids, not even here in Our posturing Town, and no one ever will. 

Performative bullshit to the side, absolutely no one cares about black kids' happiness, lives and interests. If history teaches us anything, history teaches us that.


9 comments:

  1. Hello everyone, my name is Alfreed siang  i am here to say a big thank you to my doctor DR OLU who helped me enlarge my penis.i have never had a happy relationship in my life because of my inability to perform well due to my small penis, due to frustration,i went online in search of solution to ending my predicament and than i came across testimony on how DR OLU has helped them, so i contacted him and he promised to help me with penis enlargement,i doubted at first but i gave him a trial and he sent me the product which i used according to his prescription and in less than a week,i saw changes in my penis and it grow to the size i wanted and since then,i am now a happy man and no lady complains again about my penis.if you also need the services of my doctor,you can also contact him on his email..  drolusolutionhome@gmail.com   or his whataspp is +2348140654426

    ReplyDelete
  2. "When schools claim that their performance has "nearly wipe[d] out the Black-white educational gap," you'll rarely go wrong betting that some sort of fraud is involved in their claims."

    What ever happened to "We don't know, anything is possible"? Gone, when it is schools being discussed. Or is it just not possible that black kids can perform well, anywhere, under any circumstances?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "We haven't looked at the research ourselves. There's been this little matter of the end of the world on which we've mainly been focused."

    And yet, he has written nothing about the attempted coup either. Or is the "end of the world" the election of Joe Biden?

    ReplyDelete
  4. “We haven't looked at the research ourselves. There's been this little matter of the end of the world on which we've mainly been focused.”

    There isn’t exactly a rush on the charter school matter. One could wait until one does the research.

    Or one could write a post saying “we don’t know anything” if that floats your boat.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Getting your lover or your ex back has been made more easy by this powerful spell caster called Dr Odion. I am Rose by name and i am from canada, the only reason why i am on this site is to thank this powerful spell caster called DR. Odion and you can improve your relationship success by contacting him through these details (wisdomspiritualtemple@gmail.com Or call +2348136482342) This powerful spell caster did me a huge favor by helping me get my lover back to me within the speed of light and since then my relationship has been perfect.

    any problem of yours.He is specialized in the following:

    (1)Spell for protection from danger
    (2)Spell for magic
    (3)Spell for same sex love
    (4)Spell for healing
    (5)Spell for invisibility
    (6)Spell for riches and fame
    (7)Spell to get a good job
    (8)Spell for strong love and relationship
    (9)Spell to bring your ex back
    (10)speII for Lottery
    This man has great powers and is incredibly generous.You can contact him on
    (wisdomspiritualtemple@gmail.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How I Got My Ex Husband Back. Am so excited, All Thanks goes to Dr Prince i was married to my husband, and we were living fine and happy. it come to an extend that my husband that use to love and care for me, doesn't have my time again, until i fined at that he was having an affair with another woman, I tried to stop him all my effort was in-vain suddenly he divorce me and went for the woman. he live me with two of our kids, I cried all day, I was in pains, sorrow and looking for help. I read a comment on how Dr Prince helped a lady to brought her husband back, after 2yrs , He helped people with his Magic spell love and reuniting spell. so I decided to contact him and explain my problems to him, he did a love spell that made my husband to come back to me and never think of the woman. this man is God sent to restore heart break and reunite relationship. may the lord be your strength and continue to use you to save people relationship and any problems contact him for help on princemagicspell@yahoo.com You can also contact him through his WhatsApp +19492293867. Contact him now for love spell to bring back your ex lover he is the best spell caster and he is the best solution to all relationship problems…

    ReplyDelete
  7. This testimony is worth sharing to the world. I am here to tell the world of the good works of  Dr BALBOSA. My name is Olivia Bolton am from the UK.. My man left me and my kids for another older woman. It was not so easy for me.. I love my husband so much and I did not lose hope and I kept praying and God finally answered my prayers...i searched online for a spell caster to help me unite me and my lover back forever and i saw so many testimonies of  how DR BALBOSA has helped so many people online and i decided to give him a trial … I contacted him and explained to him. He told me not to worry that he will bring back my man within 24 hours. He consulted his powers and assured me not to worry . He did his work and cast the spell and to my greatest surprise, my husband came back the same day begging and crying  just as  Dr BALBOSA said. He begged me for forgiveness and he promised never to leave me for any reason. We are happy and we live together as one. Contact Dr BALBOSA now on: balbosasolutionhome@gmail.com and you can also contact him on WHATSAPP/CALLS +2347048047728... don't lose hope have a lovely day 

    ReplyDelete

  8. LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
    Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever











    LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
    Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever

    ReplyDelete
  9. HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL FROM DR Odogwu. I never thought I will smile again, My husband left me with two kids for 5 year, All effort to bring him back failed I thought I'm not going to see him again not until I met a lady called Lisa who told me about a spell caster called Dr Odogwu , She gave me his contact drodogwusolutioncenter@gmail.com\ WhatsApp +2347033074122 I contacted him and he assured me that within 48hours my husband will come back to me, In less than 48hours my husband came back started begging for forgiveness saying it is the devils work, so I'm still surprise till now about this miracle, i couldn't conceive but as soon as the priest pray for me, i became pregnant and gave birth to my third child, My heart is filled up of happiness to share my life marriage and relationship story with you over here. If you need any assistance from him you can contact him via WhatsApp: +2347033074122 \ email:drodogusolutioncenter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete