Scott reviews Moonlight; his commenters muse!

TUESDAY, JANUARY 31, 2017

Solomon savages Maddow:
After seeing Manchester by the Sea, then Moonlight, we've come to believe that we've discovered the oddest place in the whole world of modern mainstream journalism.

The oddest place in that world is the intersection between 1) an A. O. Scott review in the New York Times; 2) comments by Scott's readers; and 3) the marks reviewers were told to hit in the film's press release.

This is especially true if the film in question concerns matters of race, or can be made to seem so, and if the film is critically favored. In such circumstances, Scott is prepared to turn day to night in pursuit of establishment script, and his readers will praise him for this.

With regard to Moonlight, we were especially struck by Scott' ability to glide past the suffering on display in every frame of the film, starting when the central character is only 9 years old. In fairness, other reviewers seem to have done the same thing.

We're commenting on Scott'e review, not on the film itself. Also, on the endless power of mainstream press narrative, especially of the pseudo-liberal persuasion.

We may write more about Scott's review at some later date. Truly, though, our journalism, and our liberalism, are narrative all the way down.

We also link you today to a piece by Norman Solomon, the longtime progressive activist and journalist. He batters an unnamed major cable star up one side and down the other.

Because this major cable star is a liberal untouchable, you rarely see such comments in print. Warning! This unnamed liberal TV star gets compared to Glenn Beck!

We began telling you, years ago, that you can't believe a thing this major cable star says. Solomon makes similar comments. We won't tell you whether he's right in the particular matter under review. But we think it's healthy for liberals to see that things like this can be said, even about our biggest corporate stars.

We liberals! We've spent the past twenty-five years bringing Donald J. Trump to power. Now that it's too late to do any good, we're energetically marching, en masse. We're shouting complaints far and wide.

(Last week, the unnamed cable star in question used her toy xylophone to tell us that Mark Dayton has been diagnosed with prostate cancer. Could something be "wrong" in this cable star's head? We've often wondered about that. Today, we'll let Solomon do all the lifting.)

9 comments:

  1. He has a point: Trump as a puppet of Putin theme is the Dem's "Benghazi," rhetoric disguised as insight. Worse, it lets Trump off the hook for truly insipid crap. This sloppy thinking is now carrying over to "Trump is a puppet of Bannon" too. RM is not the only one either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solomon has a point....

      Endless defense of all things Soviet and Russian plus this...

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/norman-solomon/clintons-transition-team_b_11648470.html

      Delete
    2. "Nuclear saber-rattling is implicit in what the prospective President Hillary Clinton has done in recent days, going out of her way to tar Russia’s president with a Hitler brush. Her eagerness to heighten tensions with Russia indicates that she is willing to risk war — and even nuclear holocaust — for the benefit of her political ambitions."

      Longtime Progressive Activist and Journalist
      (plus did we mention failed political candidate) Norman Solomon 3/7/2014

      http://www.huffingtonpost.com/norman-solomon/hillary-clinton-playing-a_b_4917089.html

      Delete
  2. I thought repeating the "puppet of Bannon" thing was just a ploy to get Trump to turn on Bannon. Never occurred to me that people would actually believe it.

    I thought it was evident that Trump has certain challenges with regard to impulse-control and temperament that preclude anyone's control, including his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't get Bob's point. I thought Moonlight was terrific, and so did Scott. Nor did Scott "glide past" the suffering, as Bob asserted. E.g.
    That this comfort is purchased with the coin of his mother’s misery is not lost on Chiron. “My mama does drugs?” he asked Juan at the dinner table. “And you sell drugs?” Watching him complete the syllogism in his head, and watching Juan’s reaction, is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate movies that can elicit an emotional response from me without overt manipulation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My life is devastated! I’m going through hell right now or from the past one month.One month ago,i broke up with my bf.We both were completely in love.But i started having some issues with myself.My mood swings were a lot to handle for him an that point i just felt the need to break up and so i did.And i hurt him to the core which i never wanted to.He kept on begging me but i didn’t hear.Later on he started avoiding me and kind of did everything as you said in your video.it felt bad.I always loved him but i had to break up.I regret breaking up so much.But after that he said no to me.He said he’ll never come back as he cannot put faith in me.I have tried my level best but he is adamant that he cannot trust me.Even though after i realised what i did.I changed myself completely.I dealt with my mood swings and now i don’t get any.He cannot trust me.what should i do?I love himand he does too but he says he don’t have that much courage to come back. one day in my office going through the internet i saw a post of a lady giving testimony on how she got her husband back,i also come across a blog site on how to reunite and get your ex back with a love spell it was really amazing to see this so i copy his email id on http://happyspelltemple.webs.com/ i explain my situation to him and gave him all the details he requested from me, he give me 3 days assurance that my boyfriend will come back after the spell i was so overwal to hear that so i just keep calm and follow up his order coz i really love my boyfriend and want him back. on the third day after the spell as he promise me, my ex call me also show up in my office begging me to forgive him and accept him back with out no delay, i lift him up with a kiss and was so very happy to have him back all my happiness was from Dr happy he is indeed a true man a father and a god sent. plz contact Dr happy on his email id direct at happylovespell2@gmail.com or call his mobile number on +2348133873774

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, i am Jessica Wayne from TX, USA. Life without my husband was a real mess for me and my children I am so happy to get my Ex back through the help of Dr Noble the spell caster . My greatest surprise was that 48 hours after the Doctor prepared the spell for me, my husband who has abandoned me for 4 years suddenly called me unexpectedly and am so happy that we have come to become one again through the help of Dr Noble and am so happy to be with my husband once again. Dr Noble is a very wonderful spell caster, you can contact him if you need his assistant because i know he can also help you. contact him through his email: templeofjoyandprosperity@gmail.com +2349039520524 immediately

    ReplyDelete
  7. Real And Urgent Spell Caster Reviews To Solve Your Relationship Problem Dr Goodluck..
    My mind, for some reason, wont let go of my memory's of My husband after i found out my Husband of 9years had been living a double life and we separated months ago because of him cheating I was totally frustrated and did not know how to bring him back home because i love him so much and have tried all my possible best all to no avail, as i was browsing on the internet i came across a post on YouTube about Dr Goodluck who help people with their relationship and marriage problem by the powers of love spells, at first I doubted if such thing ever exists but decided to give it a try, when I contacted him i told him everything and he told me that everything will be fine that my husband is going to come back to me, And he told me all i will need to provide him with and i did and he told me that he is going to cast a returning spell so that my husband will come back, he helped me cast a spell and guarantee me that my husband will come back to me and within 17hours, to my greatest surprise, my husband came back to me and started apologizing, now he has stopped going out with women and he is with me for good and for real. if you have any problem contact Dr Goodluck he is real and always ready to solve your problem, email him on goodluck05spellcaster@gmail.com and you can also whatapp him or call with his mobile +2349059610309 and i promise you that he is going to help you with any problem OKay...

    +2349059610309
    goodluck05spellcaster@gmail.com
    http://goodluck05spellcaster.yolasite.com

    ReplyDelete