Who sits on the Times editorial board?

TUESDAY, JANUARY 21, 2020

We've been asking that question for years:
At least in theory, the New York Times editorial board is an important part of American upper-end journalism.

That said, who actually sits on the board? Over the years, we've periodically wasted time trying to figure that out.

How strange! It's easy to find a list of the Times' opinion columnists. Just go to the web site and scroll to the bottom. FRom there, you can learn in one click.

Similarly, it's easy to find a list of the paper's "op-ed contributors." But who sits on the editorial board? Even today, as we speak, we can't say we're totally sure.

Sunday night, the board endorsed two different people in a campaign only one person can win. They did so at the end of an hour-long TV show which seemed like a cross between Fox & Friends and (possibly) Cupcake Wars, a program we've never seen.

Whatever! We decided to use the Google machine in yet another attempt to see sits on the board.

We entered "New York Times Editorial Board." Up popped a link to this page—and the page is plainly quite recent.

The page carries the New York Times logo. Below that, it carries this title:
The New York Times Editorial Board
We seemed to be at the right place! After one paragraph of boilerplate, the page features head shots of seventeen people, along with their seventeen bios. You'd almost think they were the members of the Times Editorial Board!

To all the world, it looks like these are the (17) members of the Times Editorial Board! But at this very peculiar newspaper, few things are ever that simple.

Uh-oh! James Dao is the third person featured on the page—and his bio says this:
James Dao
Deputy Editorial Page Editor

James Dao has been a deputy editorial page editor for The Times since 2016. He oversees the Op-Ed section
, which produces opinion pieces for the daily Op-Ed page, the Sunday Review and the international Op-Ed section. In the past, Mr. Dao has been Albany bureau chief, a Washington correspondent, national correspondent and military affairs writer. He has also been the deputy metropolitan editor and deputy national editor. In 2010 and 2011, he reported an eight-part series about the yearlong deployment of an Army battalion in Afghanistan, “A Year at War.” The series won numerous awards for multimedia journalism, including an Emmy. Because of his areas of expertise, the editorial board asked Mr. Dao to join its endorsement process, though he is not an official member.
Uh-oh! Dao is deputy editorial page editor, but he isn't a member of the editorial board. Or at least, he isn't an "official" member. The actual members merely asked Dao to join the endorsement process.

Question! If Dao isn't a member of the board, why do his photo and his bio appear on an official page which rather plainly seems to list the members of the board?

At the Times, such questions can rarely be easily answered. Meanwhile, bios of two other people on that page—Aisha Harris and Charlie Warzel—explicitly say that they aren't members of the board either. The bio of Serge Schmemann leaves his status undeclared.

Seventeen people appear on that page. At least three of those people, and maybe four, aren't members of the board.

This would suggest that the board contains as many as thirteen or fourteen members. But who on earth, except the Times. has so much trouble creating a simple record?

One more confusing point:

At one of the three million sites the Times created in connection with the endorsement(s) process, the saga is described as shown:
OPINION
THE EDITORIAL BOARD
The Choice

Nine candidates. Fifteen journalists.
On the record. Let us help you decide who should be the Democratic nominee.
It's true! Though seventeen names appear on that list, only fifteen people seem to have taken part in the interviews with the Democratic candidates.

As best we can tell, Carol Giacomo, an apparent board member, didn't take part in the interviews. But apparently, neither did James Bennet, and he's the Times' editorial page editor! He's also described as the person who "oversees the board."

Bennet seems to be in charge of the board. Why didn't he take part in the deliberations? Similarly, why was the final decision left to Kathleen Kingsbury? Also, how did she reach her final decision?

The Times created a heap of buzz around the idea that this year's process would be hugely "transparent." That said, we can't answer the most basic questions about this highly transparent affair.

One final speculation, followed by one last question. First, our speculation:

Why did the Times add Harris, Dao and Warzel to the mix? Forgive us for our speculation, but the Times board isn't especially diverse on a racial and ethnic basis.

This fact will sometimes seem especially striking at a paper which is frequently telling everyone else on the face of the earth that they need to be more diverse.

The additions may have made the board look a bit more diverse. Since a TV show was being shot, this may have been part of this very strange's newspaper's thinking.

Now for our question, and our question has won awards:

How hard can it possibly be to create a reliable list of board members? Also, does anyone except the New York Times have trouble with such basic tasks?

Among other things, the New York Times is a giant, sprawling bureaucracy. Routinely, it produces ridiculous copy which seems to come from the maws of such a machine.

On a daily basis, the New York Times is much more interesting than the Washington Post. Unfortunately, that's because it almost always includes some article or analysis which is just comically awful.

So it went with its deeply underwhelming TV show. Maybe it's best when we the rubes can't see the sausage get made.

16 comments:

  1. "But who sits on the editorial board? Even today, as we speak, we can't say we're totally sure."

    Simple, dear Bob: a bunch of dembots and establishment minions.

    This has been another edition of simple answers to simple questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “The additions may have made the board look a bit more diverse. Since a TV show was being shot, this may have been part of this very strange's newspaper's thinking.”

    Ya think?


    “Newsroom employees are less demographically diverse than U.S. workers overall.”

    https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2019/11/26/9-charts-about-americas-newsrooms/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is much ado about nothing.

    Times change and people change jobs. I don't really care who is on that board. If an editorial doesn't make sense, nothing about board member bios is going to change that. If it does make sense, the board member bios don't change that either.

    It doesn't matter at all to me whether Kathleen Kingsbury and Alex Kingsbury are married or brother and sister. They have obviously gone to some lengths to keep that info private or it would have been easy to find using Google. But it is plainly no one's business.

    What I don't understand is why Somerby has joined the invasive anti-privacy sect, and why he seems to think that knowing stuff about writers has anything to do with the truth value of the content generated by those paid employees. Someone has to write stuff. Their lives are not open to strangers because they do that job.

    Next, Somerby will be endorsing Buttigieg because he is Zuckerburg's guy and he favors everyone's privacy being owned by Google and Facebook, because inquiring minds want to know and our privates lives are for sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So it doesn't matter who makes important editorial decisions at immensely prestigious and prominent newspaper companies, but it does matter if a candidate is backed by the heads of immensely powerful Google and Facebook.

      Think that thru a bit, why don’t you.



      Delete
    2. 12:34 is correct.
      No one should pay any attention to what corporations have to say.
      Same goes with the religious.

      Delete
    3. Newspapers are not public entities. They are owned by people or corporations. The people who own them get to say what appears in their pages. It has always been that way. Now Somerby wants to pretend that he is owed transparency. Not so.

      Delete
  4. James Bennet has recused himself from 2020 coverage since his brother remains a candidate

    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/02/business/media/james-michael-bennet-new-york-times.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Name is Dr sebi you can Contact Me via Email drsebicurecenter@gmail.com For Penis Enlargement Product to help you get as long as 8inches Long with good Erection. Contact Me Via Email : drsebicurecenter@gmail.com Via WhatsApp +2347010538590

    ReplyDelete
  6. How i got my Husband back Thanks to Dr Padman for bringing back my Husband ,and brought great joy to my family, My Ex-Husband dumped me two weeks ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don't know what to do, so I reach to the internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help people to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 48hours that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Dr Padman , You are truly talented and gifted. padmanlovespell@yahoo.com is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop publishing him because he is a wonderful man.Email: padmanlovespell@yahoo.com or whatsaap +19492293867 . padmanlovespell@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gm‎ail.com  

    ReplyDelete
  8. 5 years ago I had warts, I was treated with some liquid applied to the warts they continued to grow and spread... The next 2 doctors did laser surgery to remove them. 1 year after the surgery, they grew back close to where the 1st ones were' so I was finally told it was hpv. I have had it for very long time, I contract it from my cheated boyfriend and I found out he was also infected and I end up the relationship between us. the warts was so embarrasses because it started spreading all over I have be dealing with this things for very long time the last treatment I take was About 2 years ago I applied natural treatment from Dr onokun herbal cure, a week after applying the treatment all the warts was gone. it's now 2 years and some months I don't have single wart or any symptoms of hpv. wow"" it's great, Dr onokun has finally cured me. Anyone living with hpv contact Dr onokun for natural treatment.
    His email address: dronokunherbalcure@gm‎ail.com  

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello everybody, thanks to Dr LOSA the spell caster i am from USA, i don't just Know the reason why some people is finding it difficult to believe that there is a cure for HIV, my son have been suffering from HIV since last three years but today i am happy that he is cure from it with the herbal medicine of Dr DR LOSA the great healer,i was browsing the INTERNET searching for help when i came across a testimony shared by someone on how Dr LOSA cure his herpes i was so much in need of getting his treatment but after all Dr LOSA brought a smile to my son face with his herbal medicine. i am so much happy today that we have someone like this great healer out there, so my people out there kindly contact this great healer on his email address: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail .com) please sir keep your good work cause there are people out there who is in need of your healing medicine.once more email him now: (dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com) you can call him OR WHATSSAPP HIM +2349056464736
    DOCTOR LOSA CAN AS WELL CURE THE FOLLOWING DISEASE:-
    1. HIV/AIDS
    2. HERPES
    3. CANCER
    4. ALS
    5. Hepatitis
    6 Diabetes
    7 LOVE SPELL
    8 IF YOU NEED YOUR EX LOVER BACK TO LOVE YOU AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good day to all viewer online am so happy sharing this great testimony on how i was checking for solution in the internet then miraculously i came Across Dr.LOSA the powerful herbalist that Cure Numerous individuals Herpes Simplex Virus,so I contacted him base on the testimonies I?m seeing about him on the internet, I was cured too by him, kindly contact him actoday through his email he can help you email ; dr.losaherbalhome@gmail.com and so he can cure types of diseases like,HEPATITIS B,DIABETICS,CANCER,HPV,LOW SPERM CAM HIV/STDS FIBROSIS LOST OF WEIGHT .. all thank to you Dr LOSA for your kindly help in my life his Mobile number +2349056464736

    He cure listed diseases
    CANCER
    HEPATITIS A AND B
    DIABETIC.
    HERPES

    ReplyDelete
  11. My ex-husband and I had always managed to stay friendly after our divorce in February 2017. But I always wanted to get back together with him, All it took was a visit to this spell casters website last December, because my dream was to start a new year with my husband, and live happily with him.. This spell caster requested a specific love spell for me and my husband, and I accepted it. And this powerful spell caster began to work his magic. And 48 hours after this spell caster worked for me, my husband called me back for us to be together again, and he was remorseful for all his wrong deeds. My spell is working because guess what: My “husband” is back and we are making preparations on how to go to court and withdraw our divorce papers ASAP. This is nothing short of a miracle. Thank you Dr Emu for your powerful spells. Words are not enough. here is his Email: emutemple@gmail.com or call/text him on his WhatsApp +2347012841542

    He is also able to cast spell like 1: Lottery 2: Conceive 3: Breakup 4: Divorce 5: Cure for all kinds of diseases and viruses.

    ReplyDelete