PUBLIC EMBARRASSMENT: How Timespersons see themselves!

TUESDAY, MAY 25, 2021

We'd call this a Public Embarrassment: When Kathleen Kingsbury thought about Patrick Healy, her thoughts turned to his dog-shaped slippers—to the "whimsical loungewear" of his "puppy-shod feet."

Kingsbury quoted a former colleague on that point as she announced Healy's appointment as her deputy on the New York Times editorial board. (For background, see yesterday's report.) Our own thoughts turned to one aspect of Kingsbury's performance during Campaign 2020.

During 2019, the editorial board had interviewed the major Democratic candidates. In the end, they made the somewhat peculiar choice of endorsing two of the hopefuls.

(Given the rapid drift of Modern Times Culture, no one had to be surprised by the two candidates they chose.)

Kingsbury had chaired the lengthy interview sessions with the various candidates. Along the way, she made a point of asking each hopeful this somewhat peculiar question:

KINGSBURY (12/16/19): Sir, we’re running out of time, and I want to get to some economic questions as well as foreign policy. But before that, we have been asking every candidate the same question, which is, Who’s someone who has broken your heart?

That's the way she posed the question to Candidate Biden. Late last month, she was on the dog-shaped slippers beat.

Do moments like these tell us something about Times journalistic culture? We're not sure how to answer that question. 

For ourselves, we found the passage about the dog-shaped slippers to be insultingly dumb, perhaps a bit embarrassing. In fairness, this was possibly just the standard clatter in which high-end, upper-class journalists try to make us rubes believe that the journalists are just regular people like us. 

They're deeply sunk in silliness too, just like us subscribers! They care about dog-themed loungewear too. They want to know who broke your heart!

In part, that may be all that slipperware foolishness was. On the other hand, we found a different strain of TimesThink as we stumbled upon earlier announcements involving Healy. 

In this particular strain of TimesThink, it seems to us that the journalists may be protesting too much. In this second strain of public expression, Timespersons tell the world, and tell themselves, how unutterably brilliant they are.

Should this cultural conduct be cause for concern? That is a matter of judgment—and no, it isn't Healy's fault that such recitations were unloosed in the course of announcing his recent appointments.

But good grief! Back in September 2016, Healy had been named "Deputy Editor in charge of news" at the Times' Culture desk. Culture editor Danielle Mattoon wasn't just thrilled to make the announcement. She said she was thrilled and delighted:

MATTOON (9/30/16): I’m thrilled and delighted to announce that Patrick Healy will be returning to Culture as the next Deputy Editor in charge of news.

Patrick, as anyone following this presidential election knows by now, is a journalistic powerhouse, able to deliver everything from breaking debate and convention coverage to incisive analysis and deep-dive narratives. A tireless reporter who writes beautifully, Pat is also a wise and sophisticated thinker who, time and time again, has clarified the confusing and explained the seemingly inexplicable—usually on deadline.

He’s also a generous colleague and an all-in digital explorer, eagerly embracing the many ways to best convey the news and context of whatever story he is telling. For anyone who missed his brilliant oral history of Bill Clinton’s 1992 resurrection in New Hampshire, take a look here. More recently, he wowed us again with Bush/Gore.

“He’s a remarkable talent and has delivered dazzling coverage of this extraordinary election,” political editor Carolyn Ryan writes. “He has the drive of a reporter but the wider aperture of an editor, with expansive curiosity and eagerness to understand what is happening in the world.”

According to Mattoon, Healy wasn't just a journalistic powerhouse. He was a wise and sophisticated thinker who could explain the inexplicable, and a generous colleague to boot.

Mattoon cited Healy's "brilliant oral history" of the 1992 campaign. (She failed to provide the implied link to the material.) According to Mattoon, Healy had recently "wowed us again," this time with something about Bush/Gore, presumably from Campaign 2000. 

From there, it was on to political editor Carolyn Ryan, who praised Healy as a remarkable talent who had provided dazzling coverage of the 2016 campaign. Just for the record, very few liberals have ever believed that the Times presented such work.

Once again, none of this peculiar behavior was Healy's fault. As she continued, Mattoon lavished praise on the way Healy had once "covered the theater beat for seven years, turning over scoop after scoop as he dug into the intersection of art and business on Broadway." 

His "love and appreciation for the arts began as a child in Scituate, Mass,," she explained as she continued. Only one question seemed to remain:

Why wasn't Healy being named editor in chief and given a generous ownership stake? 

As Mattoon closed her piece, we may have received our answer. Everyone else at the New York Times is just as dazzling as he is:

MATTOON: Patrick will rejoin Culture at an exciting time of innovation and change, bringing new perspective and skills to our incredible and growing team of reporters and critics who are unparalleled around the world.

He’ll be arriving in mid-December. Please join me in welcoming him back!

Given the Times' incredible team of reporters and critics—they're unparalleled around the world—it's hard to believe that anyone could bring new skills and perspectives to the Culture desk. But that's what Healy was going to do. It's no wonder Mattoon was delighted as well as thrilled!

Over the weekend, we stumbled upon these encomia as we considered Healy's work on the Times' collection of essays concerning the death of George Floyd. 

These essays filled the Sunday Review section this weekend. On Saturday, Nicholas Kristof had seemed to phone in another essay—an essay about our public schools—as part of this collection. 

We have no doubt that Patrick Healy is a good, decent person. That said, we thought the work he compiled for this special collection was nauseating, unreadable—a gruesome Public Embarrassment. We're going to guess that ranking Timespersons would voice a different view.

Back in 2015, Ryan had been delighted to say that Healy would be joining the Times' campaign coverage team. By the end of that campaign, many liberals were less than thrilled with the way that coverage went—but Ryan, as part of this peculiar culture, was aggressively pre-gushing:

RYAN (1/23/15): I am delighted to tell you that Patrick Healy is joining our outstanding presidential campaign team as a national political correspondent.

Patrick is an uncommonly gifted reporter, supple writer and journalistic innovator whose career has taken him from Dover, N.H., to Afghanistan, Iraq, two presidential campaigns and the star-crossed production of Spider-Man on Broadway.

[...]

Patrick will work closely with Jonathan Martin, our deeply talented and insightful national political correspondent who is helping to lead our election coverage.

[...]

Please join me in welcoming Patrick to a spectacularly talented election team.

Healy was uncommonly gifted. He'd be working closely with Jonathan Martin, the Times' deeply talented and insightful national political correspondent, as he joined an election team which was spectacularly talented. 

Should residents of Our Town be concerned by this aspect of Times culture? Should this be a point of concern?

We're not sure how to answer. As we read these peculiar announcements, we did think of those who are sometimes said to be protesting too much. We also thought of the Bushmen of the Kalahari, one of the shortest groups of people on earth, who have long been said to address one another with this standard greeting:

I saw you from afar!

We offer no criticism of that group, but does this practice of group reassurance travel well to the Times? For ourselves, we'll only say this:

On Sunday, we read as much of the work from the Sunday Review as our hearts and minds could stomach. We didn't think it was dazzling work. In fact, we thought the work was so predictably bad that we lost the will to continue.

Can our failing society hope to survive when Our Town keeps churning such work? Some experts say the answer is no. For ourselves, we would have to call that work a bit of a Public Embarrassment.

Tomorrow: No standards need apply


15 comments:

  1. Truthfully calling out the Republican Party as a criminal enterprise is still verboten for our press.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isiyku Abdulahi
      My ex-boyfriend dumped me one week ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don’t know what to do, so I reach to the Internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 2 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Dr Believe. You are truly talented and gifted.He is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop talking about him because he is a wonderful man. Contact this great love spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem to be solved today via email: believelovespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +19713839183


      Delete
    2. LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
      Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever















      LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
      Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever

      Delete
  2. What's this all about, dear Bob? Sounds like some meaningless nonsense.

    "Should residents of Our Town be concerned by this aspect of Times culture?"

    "Times culture", dear Bob? We will add this to our list of oxymorons, next to "liberal intelligence".

    ReplyDelete
  3. "her thoughts turned to his dog-shaped slippers—to the "whimsical loungewear" of his "puppy-shod feet.""

    My current theory is that Somerby had a puppy once in his distant youth, but it turned on him. That has soured him on both humanity (who failed to come to his rescue) and puppies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "whimsical loungewear"

    Somerby does realize, doesn't he, that many people have been working from home?

    ReplyDelete
  5. "They want to know who broke your heart!"

    Actually, people want to know whether a candidate has a heart or not. At least Democrats do. Republicans would no doubt see that as a liability.

    The question is really asking whether a candidate is in touch with emotion or not. That is crucial in weeding out the sociopaths and the toxic masculinity sufferers who cannot talk convincingly about emotion.

    It is similar to the question about "what is your favorite Bible verse" for evangelicals.

    It is telling that Somerby doesn't recognize the purpose of the question, since it indicates once again (for those who need more proof) that Somerby is no liberal. He is today saying the equivalent of "Fuck your Feelings" to us all by mocking a valid question that many of us would care about, as liberals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "On the other hand, we found a different strain of TimesThink as we stumbled upon earlier announcements involving Healy. "

    Then Somerby cites her use of "thrilled and delighted" and "wowed" as examples of wrongdoing.

    Somerby makes similar complaints about Maddow, who has a similarly exuberant style, highly expressive of her feelings. It seems plain that Somerby is uncomfortable with feelings in general, and women's feelings in particular.

    Expecting that women should conform to an unemotional style more typical of men is part of the sexism inherent in male dominated fields. Somerby is put off by gushing, and clueless that this is a gender issue -- and it is his problem, not Healy's. He can skip the affect, if it bothers him so much. Women read the NY Times too and it is no sin to write in a style women may feel more comfortable with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "In fact, we thought the work was so predictably bad that we lost the will to continue."

    When you lose your enjoyment of things that previously gave you pleasure, it is time to see a shrink. That is a symptom of depression.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "I saw you from afar!"

    The implication of this greeting is that the person was so tall as to be readily seen from a great distance. It is flattery. Why are the Bushmen permitted to flatter each other, but not colleagues at the NY Times? What does Somerby have against people being nice to each other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't say he had something against people being nice to each other.

      Delete
    2. Doesn't the use of flattering adjectives fall into the category of being nice to a colleague?

      Delete
  9. A $20 dollar counterfeit bill?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

    Freelives.net
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
    Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever

    ReplyDelete