The desire to lock The Others up...

WEDNESDAY, MAY 12, 2021

...Slate and Lithwick edition: We've often commented on an unfortunate tendency of us the humans. 

We refer to the tendency to divide ourselves into tribes—and after that, to try to get The Others locked up. 

This tendency was quite pronounced in the public behaviors of former president Trump. We liberals may have a harder time spotting this ancient tendency here in the streets of Our Town.

Monday afternoon, over at Slate, Dahlia Lithwick put this tendency on rather vivid display. She spoke with Preet Bharara, former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York.  Their conversation was published beneath these headlines:

How Close Are We to Criminal Charges for Donald Trump?
Former U.S. Attorney Preet Bharara on accountability, Rudy, and the death of truth.

How Close Are We to Criminal Charges for Donald J. Trump? Here in Our Town, it seems that we've been asking that question since roughly the dawn of time.

In our view, Bharara was basically sensible during his conversation with Lithwick. It seemed to us that Lithwick was perhaps a bit too involved in the desire to Lock Others Up.

Someone at Slate had posted an introduction to the interview feature. "It’s 2021, but there’s still an awful lot of stuff from 2016 onward yet to be litigated," this editor instantly said.

It's always possible that that could be true. That said, pretty much right out of the gate, Lithwick was caught saying this:

LITHWICK (5/10/21): To the extent anyone thinks about Trump anymore, it’s gleefully imagining his criminal exposure in the after times, both in New York and elsewhere in the country. I gather he’s facing what, 29 lawsuits, three criminal investigations, like a lot.

BHARARA: A whole bunch.

LITHWICK: His tax returns are in the hands of Cyrus Vance Jr., the district attorney of Manhattan. They’re working to flip folks in the Trump organization. I wonder what piece of that you’re watching or are you just watching all of it? What do you expect to see in terms of accountability and having some sense that there is some closure to any of this?

"To the extent that anyone thinks about Trump any more, it’s gleefully imagining his criminal exposure?"

Maybe that's not what she meant. It seems to us that people are still thinking about Trump a great deal of the time. Beyond that, it seems to us that there are plenty of reasons to do so.

Trump continues to involve vast numbers of people in various wild, irrational claims, including the deeply destructive claim we like to call the big lie. It seems to us that "to the extent that anyone thinks about Trump," we might be trying to think about ways to intervene in this malignant process.

That would involve thinking about Trump in terms of political communication and political persuasion. In Lithwick's mind, the only reason to think about Trump is to dream about locking him up.

That said, whatever! But in her next question for Bharara, Lithwick kept dreaming these dreams:

LITHWICK: Is there anything that you feel is urgent and exigent that should have been looked at and that should be investigated and that slipped through the cracks somehow? Do you feel as though these handful of criminal investigations and the civil suits he’s facing kind of get us there in terms of accountability?

Lithwick had already listed the three hundred different ways Trump might be facing legal exposure, whether in the realm of civil or criminal law. Now she was asking Bharara to dream that there might be something else beyond that—that there might be something more, something we've all somehow missed!

Needless to say, Lithwick also wants to lock up Rudy. Here was her question on that:

LITHWICK: Let’s get to the great, luminous, searing, scorching crazy of Rudy Giuliani. Before we dig in, can you just remind us what Giuliani is probably on the hook for, this influence campaign to get Ukraine to dig up dirt on Hunter Biden? What’s the backstory?

"Please, please, please," she said to Bharara. "Please tell us the story again!"

For what it's worth, the dream of locking these idiots up continues to make regular appearances on Our Town's "cable news" channels. These conversations have dominated Our Town's cable diet dating back to the days when we were told, again and gain, that Saint Mueller Already Had His Tax Returns And Would Surely Be Locking Him Up.

For people like Lithwick, there can never be enough such conversations. Also, there is no other reason to talk about Donald J. Trump!

Lithwick's desire seemed carnal and strong. In fairness, we were also struck by a few things Bharara said.

In response to Lithwick's question about what the current investigations will :get us there in terms of accountability," Bharara offered the response shown below. We were struck by a famous dog which didn't bark:

BHARARA: There’s two categories of things that I think about. One is stuff we don’t know. I find it hard to believe we know the full scope and landscape of the things that Donald Trump did behind the scenes that were improper, unethical, and perhaps criminal...

Then the other stuff that’s big ticket that happened out in the open for which there was an attempt to hold him accountable: the “Big Lie” of the election, his involvement in the incitement of the riot and the insurrection on Jan. 6, the stuff he did with the interference in the election in Georgia. I don’t know if he’ll get any accountability there. I don’t know that the administration has the interest and stomach to do something there, especially when there’s an interest in moving on.

We agree with Bharara on that first point. We'll guess that Trump has engaged in all sorts of illegal financial behavior over the course of his business career. More on that point below.

Regarding Bharara's second point—his point about "big ticket [stuff] that happened out in the open"—we were struck by his failure to mention the obstruction of justice allegations we once loved in Our Town.

Those imagined obstruction allegations always struck us as a bit shaky—but at one time, they were all we had in Our Town. Now that we have the Capitol riot to dream about, it almost seemed to us that those early, less dramatic charges may have gone the way of all flesh.

When Bharara spoke about Rudy, we were a bit surprised to see him mention a possible FARA violation (Foreign Agents Registration Act). It wasn't very long ago when everyone was saying how rarely such violations have ever been charged in the past. In recent weeks, folks in Our Town have been dreaming exciting new dreams about that type of criminal charge.

Finally, Bharara said something we've often wondered about. Speaking about Trump's long career, Bharara offered this:

BHARARA: It doesn’t sound farfetched to think, “Well, when it suited him, Donald Trump inflated the value of his holdings. Otherwise he understated the value of his holdings.” Both of which can incriminate him criminally and subject him to exposure. That all sounds like it makes sense. There’s also the reporting that Michael Cohen, his former lawyer who was prosecuted by SDNY, has met with prosecutors and investigators with the DA’s office like a gazillion times.

We agree! That doesn't sound farfetched at all! It doesn't sound farfetched to think that Donald J. Trump may have engaged in illegal behavior all through his long, checkered business career.

That said, Bharara was once in charge of the Southern District of New York. Especially during the Mueller days, our cable channels crawled with self-impressed alumni of the SDNY—with alumni who endlessly boasted about how fearless and tough the SDNY has always been.

We'll guess it also wasn't farfetched to think that Trump was breaking the rules back in those earlier years, but he was never charged. Does Our Town know how it would look to see this ex-president indicted on various types of  charges now?

Bharara said he doesn't know what you do about "the death of truth." We can tell you this about that:

The death of truth will be helped along if anything but the most serious and most obvious charges are brought against this former president.

Any other types of charges will be seen as political charges. Given the way people like Lithwick have begged and pleaded for prosecutions, it will be very hard to persuade The Others that a political hunt isn't on.

Lithwick has always struck us as the world's nicest person. According to major experts, such impulses tend to go the way of all flesh when it comes time to lock Others up.

Our human brains are wired that way, these top major experts have said. We're wired for locking the Others up, not so much for political suasion.


14 comments:

  1. "We refer to the tendency to divide ourselves into tribes—and after that, to try to get The Others locked up."

    This is a ridiculous statement, unless the two tribes are criminals and non-criminals.

    Every society on the face of the earth has enacted some punishment for crime. That is an anthropological universal. The punishment may not consist of incarceration, but may be fines (or other confiscation of property), loss of privileges, shunning, physical punishment such as stocks or amputation or branding, expulsion from the group (often a death sentence), and in our modern society, jail time (with or without rehabilitation). Many societies require restitution to victims. Sometimes that involves servitude.

    Somerby suggests that no punishment should be enacted, even for the very serious crimes committed by certain Republicans (who he calls The Other). The only people who think that is reasonable are Republican criminals themselves and those who cheer them on.

    Somerby should be ashamed of himself for suggesting this. This is not morality and it certainly isn't justice. Somerby tries to suggest that it is political persecution but that won't fly because of the serious nature of the crimes themselves. We have a former president who committed rape and assaulted literally dozens of women, he willfully caused the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people, he appointed cronies to government who looted our country for personal gain, then he incited violence in order to stay in office after being defeated at the polls. He and those who enabled him do not deserve to get off scott free for this long list of crimes (did I forget to mention treason?).

    Somerby argues that Trump's supporters won't believe him guilty -- calling it "the death of truth" as if it were a force of nature and not motivated human behavior. We need to prosecute Trump for all of his crimes, exactly BECAUSE his supporters will go on believing that Trump's behavior was normal, appropriate, acceptable, OK, without feedback that our society will not tolerate such wrongdoing. If this means redividing us all into two groups, those who believe in the rule of law and those who do not, that's fine with me. We all know which group Somerby will fall into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not your best post.

      Delete
    2. Isiyku Abdulahi
      My ex-boyfriend dumped me one week ago after I accused him of seeing someone else and insulting him. I want him back in my life but he refuse to have any contact with me. I was so confuse and don’t know what to do, so I reach to the Internet for help and I saw a testimony of how a spell caster help them to get their ex back so I contact the spell caster and explain my problem to him and he cast a spell for me and assure me of 2 days that my ex will return to me and to my greatest surprise the third day my ex came knocking on my door and beg for forgiveness. I am so happy that my love is back again and not only that, we are about to get married. Once again thank you Dr Believe. You are truly talented and gifted.He is the only answer. He can be of great help and I will not stop talking about him because he is a wonderful man. Contact this great love spell caster for your relationship or marriage problem to be solved today via email: believelovespelltemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp: +19713839183


      Delete
    3. LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
      Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever












      LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
      Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever

      Delete
  2. "Lithwick's desire seemed carnal and strong."

    I think Somerby is projecting a bit here...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Three NYPD Officers have been charged with operating a tow truck bribery scheme involving car accident victims. They eventually also tried to set up a deal to transport drugs. In addition to these activities, they did this:

    "All three officers appeared in court Tuesday after their arrest. Smith pleaded not guilty and prosecutors argued that he shouldn’t be released because he “poses a significant danger to the community and a flight risk.” Prosecutors also accused Smith of shaking down and robbing civilians while on duty.

    Prosecutors said that Smith bragged about his side-shakedown hustle to other officers via text message.

    “Bro, I robbed everyone,” prosecutors said he texted in reference to “individuals and businesses he tricked as part of the bribery scheme,” the Post reports. In another text he allegedly bragged about pointing his gun at Black people just for shits and giggles.

    “Bro I point my gun out the window now at nigger and watch their reaction and drive away,” Smith texted, according to prosecutors. “Hilarious.”

    “Now the real Smith will shine,” he allegedly wrote in another text. “I even shaved my head. Klan.”

    ------------------

    Somerby would probably argue that these guys shouldn't go to jail either.

    This is the kind of police culture that results in unarmed black people getting shot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to lock up Somerby for impersonating an anthropological top expert.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "...including the deeply destructive claim we like to call the big lie"

    But, dear Bob, don't you think it's the cumulative behavior of your liberal-zombie cult, from 2016 on and still ongoing, is what any reasonable person would classify as "deeeeeply destructive"?

    Your liberal cult has revealed its bizarre and hateful nature, the highest degree of dishonesty. And it's continuing to expose it every minute of every day.

    What you call "deeply destructive claim" is a mere reflection of that. A perfectly natural reaction. Yes, dear Bob, it's a perfectly reasonable claim, considering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were funnier when you pretended you didn't love the establishment.

      Delete
  6. It is either lock The Others up, or lock ourselves up. I choose them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If the "others" are black, the cops will shoot them for us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was clear pretty early that the Republicans were calling to put Hillary Clinton in jail and championing a crook at the same time. Bob’s solution is to ignore Trump’s criminality because nobody’s perfect. Pretty sad.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOTTO, lottery,jackpot.
    Hello all my viewers, I am very happy for sharing this great testimonies,The best thing that has ever happened in my life is how I win the lottery euro million mega jackpot. I am a Woman who believe that one day I will win the lottery. finally my dreams came through when I email believelovespelltemple@gmail.com and tell him I need the lottery numbers. I have spend so much money on ticket just to make sure I win. But I never know that winning was so easy until the day I meant the spell caster online which so many people has talked about that he is very great in casting lottery spell, . so I decide to give it a try.I contacted this great Dr Believe and he did a spell and he gave me the winning lottery numbers. But believe me when the draws were out I was among winners. I win 30,000 million Dollar. Dr Believe truly you are the best, all thanks to you forever

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so very grateful to Dr oluba, for bringing my husband who left me for another woman, that moment my husband Left me I thought I lost everything until a friend of my gave me Dr oluba, WhatsApp contact, I messaged him and told him the pain I was going through so he told me that everything was going to be fine that if I have the faith and believe in him that the spell will surely work for me and my husband will surely come back home and he told me what to do, so those things were done and 24 hrs later my husband came back home begging for my forgiveness, am so happy and grateful to Dr oluba, if you need his help email him at olubasolutiontemple@gmail.com or WhatsApp him +1(518)293-0860...

    ReplyDelete